City Year vs Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g5chand

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have recently been accepted to the City Year program in Miami (associated with AmeriCorps), and I am awaiting an acceptance letter from Northwestern University one-year Master's in Neurobiology and Physiology with research. I applied to medical school this term, but do not believe I will be getting in due to my low MCAT score. I will retake the MCAT this summer.

If I do get accepted to NWU, which program would benefit me more: NWU Master's, or City Year volunteering? I plan on reapplying for the 2010 term.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I have recently been accepted to the City Year program in Miami (associated with AmeriCorps), and I am awaiting an acceptance letter from Northwestern University one-year Master's in Neurobiology and Physiology with research. I applied to medical school this term, but do not believe I will be getting in due to my low MCAT score. I will retake the MCAT this summer.

If I do get accepted to NWU, which program would benefit me more: NWU Master's, or City Year volunteering? I plan on reapplying for the 2010 term.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What are your stats?

3.75 Overal GPA. 3.62 or so science GPA. 24O MCAT, will be retaking in May or June. Lots of volunteer experience and leadership experience. No research. Part-time jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would do the northwestern program...if u can bring up your mcat score u will have a good chance.

3.75 Overal GPA. 3.62 or so science GPA. 24O MCAT, will be retaking in May or June. Lots of volunteer experience and leadership experience. No research. Part-time jobs.

I don't think you need any more classes; work on the MCAT.
What are you doing now? Are you still in school?

Just work like crazy on the MCAT for the next few months.
I'd work in the gap year and save up some money.

Do your best to get an MCAT in the 32+ range and you should be good.
A good MCAT will help more than anything else.

Hmmm...
Basically you just need a higher MCAT score.
If I were to pick one of the two things, and money was not an object, I'd probably say do the thing at Northwestern.
Two reasons:
1) might give you more connections @Northwestern, who can either help you get in there or somewhere else perhaps in Chicago...there are lots of med schools there
2) you might be able to get a publication, or at least can say that you have research experience?

However, if the Northwestern thing is going to cost you $30,000 in tuition, you've got to think about that too. Also, will you have enough time to study for the MCAT if you do that program?

Finally, if your heart is truly in the Americorps-type thing, I wouldn't want to discourage you from doing it.

If you can get your MCAT score to the high 20's at least, hopefully to the 30's, and then apply to a lot of schools I think you'll have a shot, assuming you have some health care related volunteer experience.

Unless you want to continue doing research, want to apply to research heavy schools, thinking about md/phd, I would pick city year. Americorps/peace corps/long term volunteerism is a great EC to have. It's also a great life experience that can refine your career goals, esp. if you're volunteering in a health setting. If you want research experience check out research universities in Miami. Ask professors if you can volunteer once or twice a week. If you show intrerest in their research and won't flake on them, I dont see why they won't say yes, esp. b/c they dont' have to pay for an extra set of hands. and even if it starts out as just washing dishes, you can move up and do some actual lab work depending on the circumstances.

Of course there are good things about finishing a science masters but it depends on what your interests are. Don't feel like you have to do a masters b/c you have no research experience and think it's the only way to get it.