Civilian Sponsored

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docpetey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what a Civilian Sponsored residency entails. I know you are on ADT during a civilian residency and you get military pay, but what are the other pros and cons of doing this? Also, what is the additional payback (for a 4 year HPSP)? Should we even mark this as an option on our JSGME application?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

docpetey said:
Can someone please explain to me what a Civilian Sponsored residency entails. I know you are on ADT during a civilian residency and you get military pay, but what are the other pros and cons of doing this? Also, what is the additional payback (for a 4 year HPSP)? Should we even mark this as an option on our JSGME application?

Thanks.

Actually you are not getting paid by the military during deferred status. The only way you get paid as an active duty member during a civilian residency is if you are Full Time Outservice (FTOS). With FTOS you owe 2 years for the first and year for year for the remaining. This is paid back after you finish med school payback time not concurrent payback as would be with an inservice residency.

The vast majority who do the outservice residencies are in a deferred status and they only get what the hospital pay their residents.

NavyFP said:
With FTOS you owe 2 years for the first and year for year for the remaining. This is paid back after you finish med school payback time not concurrent payback as would be with an inservice residency.

I did a USAF civilian spons residency. I was on active duty with full pay and bennies the whole time.

Its 1 year for 1 year with a minimum of 2 years owed.
So for 1 year you owe back 2 years, for 2 years you owe 2, 3 years you owe 3...

As for pros: you may get better training. You can pick where you want to go. You have a better chance of getting into highly desired residencies.

As for cons: you cannot serve back the time concurrently with other time owed (you end up in longer)

The OP may be referring to the Army's civilian sponsored programs in Surgery. If you are selected to that program you receive active duty pay while in residency. You are just traing at a civilian program. The details of this new program seem to be lacking so I don't have any more info.