Claiming Multiple State Status for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clc8503

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok.... so I am a "Medical Technology" major at Louisiana Tech University and my last year of undergrad consists of a cliniacal internship through the teaching hospitals associated with my school's Med Tech program. A few of these teaching hospitals are in Texas. So if I move to Texas for a year, to do my clinicals there, would I be able to claim status as a Texas resident as well as a Louisiana resident when I apply to medical schools? I was born in Louisiana, so could I actually lose my status as a La. state resident if I became a Texas state resident?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i wish you could claim multiple state residencies! i live in new jersey, my parents live in new york, and i just moved back from pennsylvania after living there for five years. i'd be set!

unfortunately, you pick a state and run with it. and i think you need to be residing in a state for at least twelve months (and have a local address there, obviously) before you can claim residency.. but i'm not 100% positive about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
zahque said:
i wish you could claim multiple state residencies! i live in new jersey, my parents live in new york, and i just moved back from pennsylvania after living there for five years. i'd be set!

unfortunately, you pick a state and run with it. and i think you need to be residing in a state for at least twelve months (and have a local address there, obviously) before you can claim residency.. but i'm not 100% positive about this.

I would actually claim an an address in Texas of course. The internship does last a year plus the few months I would have to wait before I could even "possibly" get an interview. However, if I claimed Texas status (after residing at an address in Texas for at least a year) would I lose my Louisiana residency status? Also, if I had to choose between the two, which state offers the best chance? Louisiana has 3 medical schools (Tulane is private though) and of course Texas has way more med schools than Louisiana but then again Texas is a larger state and thus has more state residents applying to the schools.

I'm confused as to what to do.

TheProwler said:
one state. that's it.

Which one would you choose if you had the choice?

clc8503 said:
I would actually claim an an address in Texas of course. The internship does last a year plus the few months I would have to wait before I could even "possibly" get an interview. However, if I claimed Texas status (after residing at an address in Texas for at least a year) would I lose my Louisiana residency status? Also, if I had to choose between the two, which state offers the best chance? Louisiana has 3 medical schools (Tulane is private though) and of course Texas has way more med schools than Louisiana but then again Texas is a larger state and thus has more state residents applying to the schools.

I'm confused as to what to do.

Yes, you must choose. From what I hear Louisiana is less competitive, but Texas has several public schools. I think you could probably get away with claiming either way. Since you'll have a job there and a permanent address you can claim TX, but you could also just claim that it was a part of the school curriculum and claim LA. The only other thing is that if you go to a school in LA, then the professors writing reccs might have more of a connection with the LA med school adcoms, but that's not all that likely...

zahque said:

High-five for Maniac Mansion :thumbup:

Schools are wise to people trying to get around state requirements, so you don't even really have a choice. You will be asked if you paid in-state tuition at your school in LA, and if you say yes, that is your state. You will also be asked where you paid income tax.

mashce said:
Yes, you must choose. From what I hear Louisiana is less competitive, but Texas has several public schools. I think you could probably get away with claiming either way. Since you'll have a job there and a permanent address you can claim TX, but you could also just claim that it was a part of the school curriculum and claim LA. The only other thing is that if you go to a school in LA, then the professors writing reccs might have more of a connection with the LA med school adcoms, but that's not all that likely...

As a matter of fact my adviser (Phd) use to teach at LSU Medical School (Shreveport). He was actually on the medical school's admissions committee. I guess that would kind of help.

FYI- make SURE you are following the rules of some state- they are variable and strange. I own an apartment in one state, rent an apartment in another, and travel back and forth between the two (for a job which requires it), and by spending every dime I make on living expenses, in the eyes of med schools I am now a resident of, that's right.... NOWHERE. Isn't applying fun?

I think that a person should get residency in the state they were born (which obviously could not be changed/taken away) and in the state where they live. I live in Iowa now, so I am an Iowa resident. I know Iowa is a great school, but I really want to go to the Colorado University med school. I don't know if anybody has looked, but out-of-state tuition for Colorado is $67,000/year. That sucks.

clc8503 said:
Which one would you choose if you had the choice?
Texas, without a doubt. They really favor their residents and offer a great deal. :luck:

njhanson82 said:
I think that a person should get residency in the state they were born (which obviously could not be changed/taken away) and in the state where they live. I live in Iowa now, so I am an Iowa resident. I know Iowa is a great school, but I really want to go to the Colorado University med school. I don't know if anybody has looked, but out-of-state tuition for Colorado is $67,000/year. That sucks.

Point #1:
the state you belong to is all about taxes and where you pay them...
the taxes you pay go to the state and then the state disperses a fraction of them to the state med schools... that's why your tuition is cheaper instate... along with this money train comes an obligation from the state gov't to the med school that it should accept a "good amount" of instate students to maintain the state money coming in... i think a lot of times people forget that states behave like lil countries of their own sometimes...

Point #2:
the whole residency where you were born thing wouldn't work out, because of a)the tax reasons listed above and b)some of us weren't born in the states :p

Point #3:
the colorado tuition thing is kinda confusing, it's 67k/year only for the first year, after which you can claim residency there and pay instate tuition--whatever that may be... i have no idea why it's like this, but it is and it pretty much evens out in turns of price for being out of state at most other schools...

Point#4:
unfrozencaveman, your predicament SUX, major good luck to you then! :luck:

njhanson82 said:

Out of state students only pay $67,000 for a single year at Colorado. After that, they can become Colorado residents and pay in-state tuition. It averages out over the 4 years to be comparable in price to all other schools.

Depends on the state and medical school. On the AMCAS application, you have to specify one state, but some states have a set of requirements that allow you to apply as a resident as long as you fulfill them. (Even if you are currently a resident of some other state)

For example, Hawaii allows you to apply as a resident to their medical school as long as you were born there, went to school, etc...

I'm currently a resident of Washington, but if I went to a UC medical school, I would get in-state tuition. (I qualify under the "attended and graduated from a California High School" exemption). Unfortunately, I still have to apply as an out of stater... :(

a_t

sgrnspc said:
Point #1:
the state you belong to is all about taxes and where you pay them...
the taxes you pay go to the state and then the state disperses a fraction of them to the state med schools... that's why your tuition is cheaper instate... along with this money train comes an obligation from the state gov't to the med school that it should accept a "good amount" of instate students to maintain the state money coming in... i think a lot of times people forget that states behave like lil countries of their own sometimes...

Ok, so if it's about the taxes, then if I have a permanent address in Wisconsin (where I was born and raised and my parents still are there) but go to school in Indiana (where I live on campus so I don't have a place of my own), and get a job in Indiana, I'd be paying taxes in Indiana and not Wisconsin. To make things more complex, I had a summer research position in Massachussetts so I will be paying them state taxes. I haven't paid Wisconsin state taxes for over two years since the last job that I had over the break was paid in cash. So, if we go by the taxes, if I have a job in Indiana and not in Wisconsin, would I have residency in Indiana or Wisconsin? I'm applying the next cycle and would much rather apply to UW-Madison than IU.

This was a weird sticking point in my situation too, I think half borne of ******ation. I'm hoping I can talk to someone who can follow a bouncing ball and figure this out eventually, but what happened was- my company is based in MA, and I live in FL. I pay the city taxes, income taxes associated to MA, and if Florida had income taxes, I would pay them here too. But they don't. So the logic followed that I pay income tax in MA, no tax in FL, and therefore, don't pay taxes to Florida. (nevermind the property taxes, vehicle taxes) Yessssssss...
Seriously, sit down with these schools before you start applying, and figure out what kind of mess you might be getting yourself into first, and make plans accordingly if you are thinking about going to a state school.