Apr 27, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
When a secondary gives you some character or word restriction, should I try to create a response that gets very close to this limit? If not, when is too little? Currently answering a question with a 2000 character limit, but I feel like I have adequately answered the prompt in a little over 1000. I don't want to fill it with fluff to reach a higher count.

Any insight on this? @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif @Med Ed @gyngyn @Moko

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Fluff is never good. If you feel like you've explained everything you need to, then don't fill it with empty words just to meet the maximum.

Reactions: 1 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
When a secondary gives you some character or word restriction, should I try to create a response that gets very close to this limit? If not, when is too little? Currently answering a question with a 2000 character limit, but I feel like I have adequately answered the prompt in a little over 1000. I don't want to fill it with fluff to reach a higher count.

Just answer the question

About the Ads

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

So if you already know that you dont want to fill it with fluff to reach a higher count, trust your judgement and go with it

Med Ed

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

I'll echo the above sentiments. Reading applications is a time-consuming process, and no points are awarded for taking 2,000 characters to do the job of 1,000.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads