Clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaba

S.mutans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, could someone please help me clarify this statement:

"NOTE: The DAT is conducted on 2 occasions each year – February and November. For the December 1 application deadline, the last acceptable DAT test date is the November prior; not the following February"

I am a Canadian student and the DAT is only offered twice per year here. Does this mean that I must have the DAT written one year prior to applying? It is confusing me a bit.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It means that if you're applying to schools this year (and the deadline for application is Dec 1st, 2006), then your last chance to take the DAT is this coming November in order to meet the deadline

if ur applyin to US Schools..take it earlier... by takin the US version

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, thanks for the reply. I was worried that I must have the DAT written 1 year prior to applying.

-also, for applying to the US, would I have a chance? I am a hard worker, but the reason I am thinking Canada is my only option is because many schools drop the lowest year (given that it isnt the last one). In my 1st year I took biology (68% full year course), chemistry (average 50% full year course), physics (50% full year course) and organic chemistry (55% full year course). And some A's and B's in other courses that year.
This is the only year that I have such low marks. I have been improving drastically in year 2 and 3, and in year 4 and 5 I will hopefully make all A's. That being said, I should then be in the ~3.0GPA range. My first year screwed me over....I am motivated, I just had a LOT of troubles in my 1st year.

what do you guys think? I don't want to take more than 5 years! I hope that my 3 years of hard work will overshadow my 1st year, despite that year which ruined my GPA. I tend to repeat myself in previous posts, so if anyone has an opinion that would be great. If not, that is fine also...

Great, thanks for the reply. I was worried that I must have the DAT written 1 year prior to applying.

-also, for applying to the US, would I have a chance? I am a hard worker, but the reason I am thinking Canada is my only option is because many schools drop the lowest year (given that it isnt the last one). In my 1st year I took biology (68% full year course), chemistry (average 50% full year course), physics (50% full year course) and organic chemistry (55% full year course).
This is the only year that I have such low marks. I have been improving drastically in year 2 and 3, and in year 4 and 5 I will hopefully make all A's. That being said, I will manage to be in the ~3.0GPA range. My first year screwed me over....I am motivated, I just had a LOT of troubles in my 1st year.

what do you guys think? I don't want to take more than 5 years! I hope that my 3 years of hard work will overshadow my 1st year, despite that year which ruined my GPA. I tend to repeat myself in previous posts, so if anyone has an opinion that would be great. If not, that is fine also...

I don't get the percentages...were those your grades?

The only advantage to taking the US DAT is that you can take it sooner.. BUT the US DAT is not accepted by Canadian schools, whereas the Canadian DAT is accepted by both. Also, the US DAT includes sections that the Canadian DAT does not, such as QR, physics and organic chemistry. The Canadian DAT, on the other hand, includes the manual dexterity section which is not apart of the US DAT.

Yes unfortunately those are my 1st year grades. Otherwise I have many A's and B's (I had a horrible start).

The only advantage to taking the US DAT is that you can take it sooner.. BUT the US DAT is not accepted by Canadian schools, whereas the Canadian DAT is accepted by both. Also, the US DAT includes sections that the Canadian DAT does not, such as QR, physics and organic chemistry. The Canadian DAT, on the other hand, includes the manual dexterity section which is not apart of the US DAT.

Yes that is true. I hope though that they will not weigh my organic chemistry mark more since it is not a section on the Canadian DAT. Every ~2 years our organic proff's get fired since the class averages are in the 45% (no joke) with only a few passing the course. How is it that I got 55% in both orgo's and 82% in metabolic biochemistry...LOL

Jaba I had a similar experience...my first year and second year (which was only part time) were totally messed up....I went to UofT and had marks similar to yours...but then I transferred and I've had a 3.8ish for the past two years, and I'm currently starting my last year (number 5). I'm not sure what our chances are like in the states...some schools say they look at a trend in improvement others just look at the cummulative and science gpas and are looking for students who consistently demonstrate high performance...I'm beginning to think UofT and Western are my only chances since they drop one-two years...but then since I wasn't full time one year..and I'll have completed five years for my undergrad I'm guessing they'll have to calculate my gpa in a unique fashion. Do you know of any other Canadian schools that drop the lowest year? I think Manitoba drops something...

There is no physics on the U.S. DAT.

Jaba I had a similar experience...my first year and second year (which was only part time) were totally messed up....I went to UofT and had marks similar to yours...but then I transferred and I've had a 3.8ish for the past two years, and I'm currently starting my last year (number 5). I'm not sure what our chances are like in the states...some schools say they look at a trend in improvement others just look at the cummulative and science gpas and are looking for students who consistently demonstrate high performance...I'm beginning to think UofT and Western are my only chances since they drop one-two years...but then since I wasn't full time one year..and I'll have completed five years for my undergrad I'm guessing they'll have to calculate my gpa in a unique fashion. Do you know of any other Canadian schools that drop the lowest year? I think Manitoba drops something...

Hi. The manitoba calculation for the GPA is really messed up! Also for Alberta, it is odd. For example, just look at what Manitobab wants... this is called their "aGPA":

"A. Calculation of Adjusted Grade Point Average (AGPA)
Applicants with two years of pre-dental studies:
(2 x the average on the CORE courses)
PLUS
(1 x the average on lower year)
PLUS
(3 x average on better year)
DIVIDED BY SIX
Applicants with three or more years of pre-dental studies:
(2 x the average on the CORE courses)
PLUS
(0 x the average on lowest year)
PLUS
(3 x the average on best year)
PLUS
(1 x the average on each remaining year of undergraduate studies)
DIVIDED BY SIX (or seven or eight etc., as appropriate)"

Other similar calculations apply to the remaining Canadian dental schools. And I know where you are coming from,,, UoT 1st and 2nd year are HELL from what I have heard. THen again, what Canadian university isn't? :laugh:

i'd like to talk to u more about dentistry and Canada, do u think you could pm me?

Jaba