claritin & zyrtec infant dose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr of rx

Voicemail Suks
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can only find limited info on this..

the only dose for claritin I was able to find is for >2 yr old.

zyrtec dose I found is <2yr = 0.25mg/kg/day

anybody have a good link for these dosages?

Members don't see this ad.

I can only find limited info on this..

the only dose for claritin I was able to find is for >2 yr old.

zyrtec dose I found is <2yr = 0.25mg/kg/day

anybody have a good link for these dosages?

The best advice available is from the FDA. Don't do it at all.

From LexiComp:

Cetirizine
Children 6-12 months: 2.5 mg once daily
Children 12-23 months: Initial: 2.5 mg once daily; dosage may be increased to 2.5 mg twice daily
Children 2-5 years: 2.5 mg/day; may be increased to a maximum of 5 mg/day given either as a single dose or divided into 2 doses
Children &#8805;6 years to Adults: 5-10 mg/day as a single dose or divided into 2 doses

Claritin is 5 mg daily for children 2 to 5 years. Over 6 years = adult dosing (10 mg/day)

Members don't see this ad :)
just another source;

zyrtec
6&#8211;23 months: 2.5mg once daily.
12&#8211;23 months: initially 2.5mg once daily; max 2.5mg every 12 hours.
2&#8211;5 years: initially 2.5mg once daily; max 5mg once daily or 2.5mg every 12 hours.
&#8805;6 years: initially 5&#8211;10mg once daily.

loratadine is not recommended in patients less then 2 years old

from Medicos

From LexiComp:

Cetirizine
Children 6-12 months: 2.5 mg once daily
Children 12-23 months: Initial: 2.5 mg once daily; dosage may be increased to 2.5 mg twice daily
Children 2-5 years: 2.5 mg/day; may be increased to a maximum of 5 mg/day given either as a single dose or divided into 2 doses
Children &#8805;6 years to Adults: 5-10 mg/day as a single dose or divided into 2 doses

Claritin is 5 mg daily for children 2 to 5 years. Over 6 years = adult dosing (10 mg/day)

With infant cold meds having been pulled by the FDA, would that be considered out of date?

With infant cold meds having been pulled by the FDA, would that be considered out of date?

I don't think so. I got it from LexiComp Pediatric essentials (online). I think that's updated pretty frequently.

I think it's an "ask your doctor or pharmacist" kind of thing.

Zyrtec's dosage for those less than 2 years old was not approved for OTC use. Even though, there is a valid dose for it, your suppose to refer to MD for those cases.

Zyrtec's dosage for those less than 2 years old was not approved for OTC use. Even though, there is a valid dose for it, your suppose to refer to MD for those cases.

And what if the MD calls you and says: Pharmacist, you're the foremost expert on all that is drug-related. What do you recommend we give this pediatric patient? :D;)

And what if the MD calls you and says: Pharmacist, you're the foremost expert on all that is drug-related. What do you recommend we give this pediatric patient? :D;)

Some tissues?

And a spoonful of don't wipe your nose on that?

My response is the one I got from kid's pediatrician... Tissues.....

They were removed for self medication. There are still combos of the sam drugs fro Kids. see Rondec and Rondec DM.