neonate and infant dillutions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nampa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best resources for learning how to calculate insulin and enoxaparin dilutions for this population? We get some pretty wacky orders. Are there any calculators for double checking calculaitons? Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Taketomo Lexicomp and "Teddy Bear" are the usuals. I don't know of a really comprehensive neonatal but Lexicomp comes about 40% of the way. By the way, the first serious mistake I made in my career was not thinking about lactation as a source of meds for neonates, you should always look at the mother's MAR if breastfeeding and consult Briggs.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you, however, I am more specifically looking at calculating such dilutions. For instance, how to go from a 1 unit/100ml to a .08 unit/ml insulin or from a 8mg/1.25ml stock solution of enoxaparin to a 10mg/0.1ml solution.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Excel can double check any calculations you want it to?
Yeah. Here’s my 15 minutes of effort version:

Don’t mix units. It doesn’t check that.

Edit: The mobile website has decided to embed the google sheet when I told it to add a link. It’s here:

Edit2: never mind. SDN doesn’t want you to have it. Make your own.

Reactions: 1 user
Dilutions are pretty simple math. Can you just have another RPh check you?

What's neofax
it is our standard reference for all neonatal dosing and how what appropriate dilutions to use. I know the MD who wrote it, he sold it to micromedex a few years ago and is probably sitting on the beach somewhere enjoying life. But it is what EPIC links to as a reference for all things NICU

Is it on Micromedix. I haven't used that in some time. It was not as intuitive, if I recall.

standard is still 8u/1.25ml and the md wants below 1ml.

what resources are out there for this, textbook, a proper online hospital protocol, powerpoint, etc.?

standard is still 8u/1.25ml and the md wants below 1ml.

what resources are out there for this, textbook, a proper online hospital protocol, powerpoint, etc.?

I mean, math? I don’t mean to be an ass but it’s literally just proportions.

8 unit / 1.25 mL = x units / 1 mL (or whatever volume is desired)

Solve for x.

I also worked for a hospital that would instead make a 50 mL syringe of the standard dilution and then draw up patient specific dosages. I always thought that wasn’t unnecessary (unless multiple orders for the same drug in the IV batch) but whatevs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, math? I don’t mean to be an ass but it’s literally just proportions.

8 unit / 1.25 mL = x units / 1 mL (or whatever volume is desired)

Solve for x.

I also worked for a hospital that would instead make a 50 mL syringe of the standard dilution and then draw up patient specific dosages. I always thought that wasn’t unnecessary (unless multiple orders for the same drug in the IV batch) but whatevs.
in general you only want one concentration of an item - especially when it comes to the neonate population - standardization is the key to reduction of errors, this is one item I have spent the last year of my life attempting to do amoungst a hospital system. Often you have to make a larger dilution (in your case 50ml) in order to utilize full vials and come up with a reasonable concentration that is easy to measure

For instance, how to go from...a 8mg/1.25ml stock solution of enoxaparin to a 10mg/0.1ml solution.

That’s easy.

Step one: you need 1.5625mL of stock solution to get 10mg, so draw that up.

Step two: you want a final volume of 0.1mL, so add (-1.4625)mL of diluent.

Step three: quit pharmacy and sell your antimatter technology for big money.

Easy.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
in general you only want one concentration of an item - especially when it comes to the neonate population - standardization is the key to reduction of errors, this is one item I have spent the last year of my life attempting to do amoungst a hospital system. Often you have to make a larger dilution (in your case 50ml) in order to utilize full vials and come up with a reasonable concentration that is easy to measure

Oh absolutely on standardization. I just don’t think that it’s always necessary to make a 50mL volume dilution for every peds IV order.

Oh absolutely on standardization. I just don’t think that it’s always necessary to make a 50mL volume dilution for every peds IV order.
the reasoning would be something like this.
Drug X in a 50mg/ml vial. The standard diltion is 1 mg/ml - you make a 50mg/50ml dilution for stock supply. This is safer and doesn't increase any waste because you are going to use that entire vial no matter what. If you only made a 10mg/10ml dilution, you still waste the entire vial, AND risk making a 50mg/10ml vial if the staff messes up and puts the whole vial. When you use the whole vial, you are sure you don't make a mistake (within reason)

Last edited:
This stresses me out SO much. Dred Pirate has the best answer. Pick 1 additional pediatric/neonatal concentration. Only use that one. Don't allow them to order something different for each child. Then make standardized dilution stickers for that concentration that has instructions on how it is to be made. Print them as labels to be placed on the dilution when it is made (even if you aren't keeping it). Make it that way every time.

That being said. We almost NEVER dilute insulin or enoxaparin. Why are you diluting them?
Enoxaparin already comes as a 10mg/0.1mL solution. Using a 30u insulin syringe should give you all the accuracy you need.

This stresses me out SO much. Dred Pirate has the best answer. Pick 1 additional pediatric/neonatal concentration. Only use that one. Don't allow them to order something different for each child. Then make standardized dilution stickers for that concentration that has instructions on how it is to be made. Print them as labels to be placed on the dilution when it is made (even if you aren't keeping it). Make it that way every time.

That being said. We almost NEVER dilute insulin or enoxaparin. Why are you diluting them?
Enoxaparin already comes as a 10mg/0.1mL solution. Using a 30u insulin syringe should give you all the accuracy you need.
We dilute our insulin to 10u/mL for neonatal compounding, and further for push doses. How you gonna draw up a 0.1unit/kg dose for 500g premi with hyperK in a 30unit syringe?

We dilute our insulin to 10u/mL for neonatal compounding, and further for push doses. How you gonna draw up a 0.1unit/kg dose for 500g premi with hyperK in a 30unit syringe?
A 500g neonate isn't the norm. We have a standard dilution for infants needing smaller doses or doses more accurate than 1 unit increments. However, the diluted form is only ordered by pediatric endocrinology. There is a dilution procedure for insulin/dextrose on our neonatal code carts but it is rarely used. A ridiculous amount of hyperK in neonates is due to heel stick hemolysis. We almost never need urgent correction for potassium.

the neonate population is the only place we would consider using a different concentration of insulin - we usually use 1 unit/ml for drips, but in rare circumstances we use 0.5 unit/ml for super preemies. But to do you math above. 0.1 unit/kg in a 500g baby = 0.5 units. You can draw up 0.5 ml of insulin from a 1 unit/ml bag very easy. You don't use an insulin syringe for this population, they are getting IV, use a 1 ml luer lock syringe.

A 500g neonate isn't the norm. We have a standard dilution for infants needing smaller doses or doses more accurate than 1 unit increments. However, the diluted form is only ordered by pediatric endocrinology. There is a dilution procedure for insulin/dextrose on our neonatal code carts but it is rarely used. A ridiculous amount of hyperK in neonates is due to heel stick hemolysis. We almost never need urgent correction for potassium.

We don't even have high risk OBGYNs and we still get plenty of babies <1kg.

the neonate population is the only place we would consider using a different concentration of insulin - we usually use 1 unit/ml for drips, but in rare circumstances we use 0.5 unit/ml for super preemies. But to do you math above. 0.1 unit/kg in a 500g baby = 0.5 units. You can draw up 0.5 ml of insulin from a 1 unit/ml bag very easy. You don't use an insulin syringe for this population, they are getting IV, use a 1 ml luer lock syringe.
0.1unit/kg x 0.5kg = 0.05 units...which is no bueno with u100 insulin. Technically doable with 1unit/ml bag, but not accurately.

0.1unit/kg x 0.5kg = 0.05 units...which is no bueno with u100 insulin. Technically doable with 1unit/ml bag, but not accurately.
that what I do while trying to do math on my phone - you don't use u100 insulin ever - that is why you do a dilution. We would break out the 0.5 units/ml dilution for this situation. this would be 0.1 ml of this solution - that is easy to do. But seriously - we are a level 4 NICU are I have never had to measure out a dose that low - how often do you get a 500g baby thou? half a lb

seriously - https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...miracle/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4f0c9392e35a

Why are your 500g infants getting insulin? I still haven't figured that out. We have 100 total NICU beds including the step down NICU and almost never give insulin.
A 0.5 unit/mL dilution should give you all the accuracy you need, but I still don't understand why anyone needs it that often.

that what I do while trying to do math on my phone - you don't use u100 insulin ever - that is why you do a dilution. We would break out the 0.5 units/ml dilution for this situation. this would be 0.1 ml of this solution - that is easy to do. But seriously - we are a level 4 NICU are I have never had to measure out a dose that low - how often do you get a 500g baby thou? half a lb

seriously - https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...miracle/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4f0c9392e35a
Kg and lb are different things, FYI

Why are your 500g infants getting insulin? I still haven't figured that out. We have 100 total NICU beds including the step down NICU and almost never give insulin.
A 0.5 unit/mL dilution should give you all the accuracy you need, but I still don't understand why anyone needs it that often.
Haha this isn't a patient case, I'm responding to a comment you made. You made the comment above "Why would anyone need to dilute insulin?" I responded with what we do and why. It simply keeps you from having to do less serial dilutions when/if insulin is ordered.

Yes, I'm aware that 500g is not an average birth wt for pre-term neonates, but we get several of them each month. I'm simply making the point that there are mathematical scenarios where you would need to dilute insulin.

Haha this isn't a patient case, I'm responding to a comment you made. You made the comment above "Why would anyone need to dilute insulin?" I responded with what we do and why. It simply keeps you from having to do less serial dilutions when/if insulin is ordered.

Yes, I'm aware that 500g is not an average birth wt for pre-term neonates, but we get several of them each month. I'm simply making the point that there are mathematical scenarios where you would need to dilute insulin.
I said: "We almost NEVER dilute insulin or enoxaparin. Why are you diluting them?"
Acceptable answers would include <1kg neonates with hyper K and ECG changes. However, this should be a rare thing. If it is for us, it really should be for non-pediatric facilities. It would be something that was either prepared by policy in advance, or carefully considered. It would not be a thing I would expect someone to do enough to even think about calculation references or aids.

My original comment was also meant to indicate that a 30u syringe was enough for any dose of enoxaparin. No one has answered why you would dilute that. We have gone way outside what the OP was asking about.