Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pharmacist
What are the best resources for learning how to calculate insulin and enoxaparin dilutions for this population? We get some pretty wacky orders. Are there any calculators for double checking calculaitons? Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2002
DC
Status
Pharmacist, Academic Administration
Taketomo Lexicomp and "Teddy Bear" are the usuals. I don't know of a really comprehensive neonatal but Lexicomp comes about 40% of the way. By the way, the first serious mistake I made in my career was not thinking about lactation as a source of meds for neonates, you should always look at the mother's MAR if breastfeeding and consult Briggs.

Reactions: Rouelle and LoKoTe
OP
N
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pharmacist
Thank you, however, I am more specifically looking at calculating such dilutions. For instance, how to go from a 1 unit/100ml to a .08 unit/ml insulin or from a 8mg/1.25ml stock solution of enoxaparin to a 10mg/0.1ml solution.

zelman

7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I think Excel can double check any calculations you want it to?
Yeah. Here’s my 15 minutes of effort version:
Don’t mix units. It doesn’t check that.

Edit: The mobile website has decided to embed the google sheet when I told it to add a link. It’s here:
Edit2: never mind. SDN doesn’t want you to have it. Make your own.

Reactions: owlegrad

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Edit2: never mind. SDN doesn’t want you to have it. Make your own.
What the heck are you diluting? 4 liters of enoxaparin or insulin???? The cost must be astronomical! :p