Clash of the Titans: Over

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Extra, extra, read all about it. Two prima donnas make up on death's doorstep after a forty-year-old meaningless feud. Millions don't care.

Oh, by the way, let me elaborate. People love to talk about the "titans" of surgery in reverential tones and demand that you know who they are and be able to tick off their accomplishments. But when you get right down to it, although there is NO DOUBT that they had major contributions to the field, let's keep it in perspective here. It's different from discovering that DNA is the genetic molecule. All you did was perform a technical achievement. A lot of these guys who pioneered in the field basically just screwed around until their patients stopped dying on the table.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, by the way, let me elaborate. People love to talk about the "titans" of surgery in reverential tones and demand that you know who they are and be able to tick off their accomplishments. But when you get right down to it, although there is NO DOUBT that they had major contributions to the field, let's keep it in perspective here. It's different from discovering that DNA is the genetic molecule. All you did was perform a technical achievement. A lot of these guys who pioneered in the field basically just screwed around until their patients stopped dying on the table.

So what has come of all this discovering of the genetic molecule?

Are you kidding me? It's not the discovery of DNA that was groundbreaking as the concept was known for more than a century, but the elucidation of DNA structure by W&C and Co. It is a huge leap forward because it opened a new world for genetics. To name a few fields that could not have been possible without this discovery, DNA technologies, gene therapy, the mechanisms of action of gene regulatory proteins and steroid hormones, diagnosis and treatment of hereditary diseases and the list goes on.

Well its all very neat. The discovery by Watson, Crick, and Franklin has more application in the lab. Gene therapy has not been very successful to date, but has shown promise for many years. It was first attempted in the early 90's i think. Although we can identify a gene in someone with a disease and predict that this disease will be passed to offspring, many patients still are reluctant for genetic testing. Again in the future this maybe more accepted by patients. Currently in thousands of hospitals across the country people are actually undergoing heart surgery. Those advancements have been largely realized. Where as advancements in DNA have had some clinical successes, the weight of Watson, Crick, and Franklins discovery is in its potential.

Please refrain from disparaging 2 of the greatest humans who have, or ever will, live. No matter how hard any of you try, none of you will ever be even half as great a surgeon as either of them.

Go back to watching the clock so you can be home in time for your kid's meaningless little league game.

No matter how hard any of you try, none of you will ever be even half as great a surgeon as either of them.

Never say NEVER and dont be so pessimistic. There is definitely going to be a great surgeon who will surpass both of them. New generation will always breed talented personalities. I am not sure both of them beat Christian Barnard in greatness.

Please refrain from disparaging 2 of the greatest humans who have, or ever will, live. No matter how hard any of you try, none of you will ever be even half as great a surgeon as either of them.

Go back to watching the clock so you can be home in time for your kid's meaningless little league game.

I'm less disturbed by the fact that I won't be a great surgeon than by the sudden revelation that I have a kid.

I agree Christian Barnard was a "greater surgeon".
Although none of these guys Cooley, DeBAkey or Barnard were great scientists. Balls to the walls surgeons - the likes of which one does not see today.

Members don't see this ad :)
personal insult deleted

Easy there, buddy....the second you stop being mildly amusing and become openly mean and disparaging, I think your ban will follow quickly.

On second thought, your posts have been predictable and humorless for a while now....maybe it's time you went away....

Something tells me that this place is about to get all menstruated on.

I am not sure both of them beat Christian Barnard in greatness.

Barnard stole the procedure that Shumway invented. The only reason he did the heart transplant first was because of the laxed transplant laws in South Africa compared to the U.S.

But regardless, all those cats were better than the new crop of softies that we're producing now. Family life? Pffft. Barnard left behind his family in South Africa for about 3 years while he traveled to train in the U.S. and learn how to do the heart transplant . You guys get bothered because you weren't home in time to go hold your wife's purse while she shops at the mall.

Barnard got married, which makes him automatically a loser. Whit-CHHHHHH!!!! Girlfriend = sex for free.

Barnard got married, which makes him automatically a loser. Whit-CHHHHHH!!!! Girlfriend = sex for free.

He got married, but that didn't stop him from going through a parade of women after he became famous. He replaced women as often as he replaced surgical gloves. He was with some model in her 20s when he was like 70. Then he died alone in a hotel room. What a badass.

Then he died alone in a hotel room. What a badass.

A badass would have died in a hotel room with five naked 25-year-olds women. Barnard loses. FLAWLESS VICTORY!

A badass would have died in a hotel room with five naked 25-year-olds women. Barnard loses. FLAWLESS VICTORY!

Nobody's perfect.

Except for me.

Easy there, buddy....the second you stop being mildly amusing and become openly mean and disparaging, I think your ban will follow quickly.

On second thought, your posts have been predictable and humorless for a while now....maybe it's time you went away....

Relax. Kimbo knows I'm just kidding. Kind of. Besides she started it by calling me a troll in another thread. I just have strong opinions about where our great profession is headed and sometimes express them in not so PC ways.

Being PC is for ******s, BTW.

Relax. Kimbo knows I'm just kidding. Kind of. Besides she started it by calling me a troll in another thread. I just have strong opinions about where our great profession is headed and sometimes express them in not so PC ways.

i'm sure dr cox, a surgical attending, is crushed by the juvenile comments from a medical student. some might say you have short man syndrome. or bald man syndrome. however, you may be category 3, which is the lethal short/bald man syndrome. i understand that your celibacy must be frustrating. everything's going to be ok, just try not to skip your meds.