Is It Over As Far As Ortho Goes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bad_bunny

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a M4 who recently did not match into ENT. Spent a research year in ENT while doing a dual degree MBA. I was falling out of love with ENT by the time I applied in September, but felt compelled to apply considering that I wouldn't be competitive in any other specialty that I liked (mostly surgical-subspecialties) if I scrounged up an application last minute. Regardless, I ended up not matching to ENT.

I had an ortho elective in November and LOVED it. I could see myself doing this the rest of my life. I regret not pulling out of the match for ENT.

I could reapply for ENT, and faculty here said they would do their best to help me improve my application over the next 6 months. However, there is a big part of me that wants to chuck ENT and try for Ortho... I just don't know if its realistic to do in 6 months. Step 1 score is 253, Step 2 score is 255. 16 Publications, none are ortho. Don't have great relationships with any of the faculty, but would be willing to commit the next year in the ortho department.

Is it unrealistic to expect myself to scrounge up enough ortho pubs and build LOR's in the next 6 months? Also, does the fact that I didn't match into a different specialty already exclude me from the possibility of an Ortho match? Appreciate any brutally honest advice...

Members don't see this ad.