Apparition

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2002
Visit site
Status
Hey guys,

If you're applying this summer, post which schools and your stats. Thought it would be interesting to see and maybe help someone decide where to apply. :cool:

Dr. N

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Status
Apparition said:
Hey guys,

If you're applying this summer, post which schools and your stats. Thought it would be interesting to see and maybe help someone decide where to apply. :cool:

No MCAT score yet - will take in August
GPA overall 3.78
Science GPA 3.77
research experience 1 semester
clinical experience - bunch
letters of recommendation - good
interesting background
First choise my state school - Denver
second - MAYo
Third - UofW

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
I have a 3.82 in post-bac science (still finishing physics II, Org I-- will do Org II in the summer), 3.5 BA History/Political Science from Ivy league, 3.4 JD (law)- NYS resident.

Lots of ECs--I am an EMT, CPR instructor, professor of political science, science tutor, founder/president of International Medical Relief Team, NYC Medical Reserve Corps, two semesters Clinical Research in an ER and Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Scientific Research. Typical Honor societies. I was an attorney for 3 years so non-trad background. Quite a few ECs from undergrad as well.

Good LORs

No MCAT- will take in August.

Top choices (in no particular order): Yale, Mayo, Harvard, Duke, Cornell, UC, Stanford, UMich, Columbia, UPenn, Washington U, UCSF, NYU, UVa
Would also be very pleased to attend: UConn, Stony Brook, GW, Georgetown, Loyola, Rush, Temple, Drexel, U Rochester, USUHS, VCMU, Thomas Jefferson, UPitt, Vanderbilt and a few others that escape me at the moment.

About the Ads

brats800

cheesehead
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
MadTown
Status
Attending Physician
my stats:
no MCAT yet (took it a couple weeks ago)
GPA (both overall and science) ~3.4
taking a year off to work as an EMT
2 summers of research
Varsity Div 3 Swimming / Track (All-American / Academic All-American in swimming several times)
LoRs - should have 3-4 really good ones
Schools: i want to stay in the midwest (yeah, call me crazy). My top choices are probably Loyola and MCW, followed by UW-Madison or any of the chicago schools, followed by other schools around the midwest (probably will apply to SLU at least).

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
duck2005 said:
impressive.

me................
undergrad- top-10 univ
gpa (science)- 3.9+
gpa (overall)- 3.9+
mcat- waiting....
letters of rec- 2 great ones, 2 good ones
EC- 3-4 heavily involved activities w/ leadership experience (prez, chair, etc)--50% of which are volunteer activities. rescue squad. tons of biomed research. 1 publication. volunteer work abroad.
looking at- a few of the top 10 schools, state schools
Duck2005- and you say mine are impressive-- your stats are very nice indeed. Don't you love rescue squads :) I'm sure you did well on the April MCAT. What did you do abroad?

indo

Feed me a stray cat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
www.mcw.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I guess now that I'm applying I ought to participate in the pre-allo community.

I don't have a complete list of my schools yet but OHSU is an obvious choice since I live in oregon.

gpa= not willing to admit how abismal my science gpa is.
mcat= 32
ECs 'n such: red cross vounteer for what seems like forever
Cascade Aids Project Volunteer
Tutor
Having a life outside of the pre-med world.

hmm...maybe I shouldn't apply this year.

gomizzou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Visit site
Status
MCAT-Don't know yet
GPA: Overall 3.95
Science 3.7 maybe, not sure
2 Years Genetics research experience, hoping for publications
2 Years drug motivation research with poster as co-author
1 Year tutoring in Spanish/English for school children plus a summer program
Some shadowing experience...not too extensive
Should have good letters of rec.
Plan on working as a phlebotomist during my year off/while applying to gain more healthcare experience....doing a month-long medical mission type thing in Costa Rica this June. Volunteered at a Crisis hotline for a while.
I plan on applying to my state school (Mizzou) and other schools close by (such as some schools in Illinois, Creighton in Omaha etc.). If my MCAT scores are very high I would probably most like to go to a UC school or OHSU.

ut_stephen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2004
Houston, TX
Status
MCAT: 36
GPA: 4.0

-2 semesters research in toxicology lab; the Dean of the College of Pharmacy is the PI (too bad i don't want to go to pharm school!)
-not too many other EC's, president/founder of foreign medical aid student organization, Alpha Epsilon Delta, 2 semesters of hospital volunteering, 1 semester with HIV/AIDS social support service
-I'm not confident at all about my LORs...I'm getting one from my research supervisor, and two others from science profs

I'm applying to all the Texas schools, as well as UCSF, UPenn, Stanford, WashU...I don't know if I'm overconfident to apply to these schools...but I figure there's nothing to lose.

kiki the alto

Daughter of the 80's
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
GPA: 4.0 so far (may get a B in Drug Chemistry...)
MCAT: haven't heard yet, but my gut feeling is somewhere mid thirties

I have hospital volunteer experience, service learning trip to Trinidad ( set up clinics, worked a ton with patients ). I'm in a summer program at the Arizona Heart Institute. I haven't done any research, which is my weak point.
My college job is as a tutor, which carried me through prep for the MCAT

I love to sing and have been involved in choir for six years. Oh yeah, and my Catholic Newman Center.

Where I'm going to apply (please tell me if I'm nuts):
U Wisconsin - Madison
Medical College of Wisconsin
U Minnesota
Mayo
U Chicago
Case Western
U Michigan
Michigan State
U Arizona - my state school
Oregon Health
Stanford
UCSD

ut_stephen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2004
Houston, TX
Status
kiki the alto said:
I have hospital volunteer experience, service learning trip to Trinidad ( set up clinics, worked a ton with patients ).
What organization did you go through to go on your service learning trip? I went on a similar trip to Mexico over spring break through International Service Learning.

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
Wow--I feel like I shouldn't even apply given all you guy's stats! They're awesome! Here are my lowly stats:

post-bacc science: 3.68 (2 orgos left to go this summer)
MCAT--this August
UGPA--3.4 art history--top college
J.D.--3.0 (hated law school; never studied.)
LOR's--mediocre, one or two good ones. Problem is as a post-bacc I didn't get much chance to get to know my science profs.
EC's--excellent, lots of volunteering at free clinic, shadowing for one semester, volunteer first aid at sport events
other--good personal activities
:love:

FrodoMD

10+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
Status
Hey...
MCAT...poor retake in august
GPA....3.45
Science...3.62
EMS...1yr
Current exp...Nurse, BSN
Research...1.5yrs
publications....1
Don't care where I go to school...But If I had to choose an area, I would love to stay in NY since that's where I reside

IndyZX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2003
Status
ut_stephen said:
What organization did you go through to go on your service learning trip? I went on a similar trip to Mexico over spring break through International Service Learning.
wierd, i think i know who you are... you were in finklea's genetics class last summer? congrats on the mcat score.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
God if I post here...it would a good laugh for all you people! :'(

About the Ads