Failing a 1 Credit Class After Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

retroactive

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m very fortunate to have received an acceptance from my top-choice program, and I’m looking for some advice on a concern I have. I am currently enrolled in a 1-credit research course associated with completing my thesis. This course is not required for my degree, and the program I was accepted to has said that they require passing grades in all prerequisites (which this course is not). They have also indicated that they do not care whether I withdraw from the course.

I have been meeting all deadlines related to my thesis, but my PI recently mentioned that she is unsure whether my data will be considered sufficient for a passing grade in the course (not entirely sure why—only idea could be that it is due to insignificant data). I am unlikely to complete my thesis defense before the withdrawal deadline. At the same time, I do not want to formally terminate the thesis, as I have several ongoing projects with this PI and am concerned that doing so could create friction in our working relationship.

Given these circumstances, should I be worried about my acceptance being revoked if I do not pass this class?
 
It sounds like you have checked with your medical school and because it's not a prerequisite they don't care.
However, if your insufficient data is due to you not putting in enough time data gathering, I would keep that in mind as you start med school and put off getting involved in any research activities until at least after you have adjusted to med school the first semester.
 
It sounds like you have checked with your medical school and because it's not a prerequisite they don't care.
However, if your insufficient data is due to you not putting in enough time data gathering, I would keep that in mind as you start med school and put off getting involved in any research activities until at least after you have adjusted to med school the first semester.
Thank you for your reply. You’re right that the admissions team basically gave me my answer. I guess I was just worried about how a W vs. an F may be interpreted on my transcript and if the difference would affect my acceptance.