class attendance and dress codes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcoool98

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, what DO schools have mandatory class attendance/ or what are some of theire attendance policies? Also, do any of the schools have dress codes, like you have to wear ties every day or spandex to OMM or can you just ear whatever whenever? Just Curious. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

jcoool98 said:
I was wondering, what DO schools have mandatory class attendance/ or what are some of theire attendance policies? Also, do any of the schools have dress codes, like you have to wear ties every day or spandex to OMM or can you just ear whatever whenever? Just Curious. Thanks.

Our school has mandatory attendance and a dress code (professional dress or scrubs.)

You are required to wear scrubs in OMM and clinical skills labs.

After a while, noone seems to care about the dress code or attendance policy.

By the end of my second year, I never attended class and wore jeans and a hat when I came to labs.

I think NSUCOM and LECOM-Erie have dress code and attendance policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know KCUMB said that they had a dress code (business casual or scrubs). DMU does not have any sort of dress code/attendance except for OMM.

VCOM requires you to attend class every day and dress in business casual clothing.

LECOM bradenton has a dress code policy anytime you are on campus.

Touro has a pretty lax dress code and only requires you to attend labs and selected lectures. OMM dress code is shorts above the knee for everyone and sports bras for women. People usually just wear this under workout clothing and pull off their shirts when it's time to actually do the manipulations.

I won't lie, it was a selling point for me. I can't imagine wearing a dress shirt and tie when it's over 100 outside.

NYCOM has a reasonably relaxed one as well. During OMM, male students are expected to wear gym or bathing shorts, females are expected to wear halter top or backless bathing suit, gym/swim shorts. No hats during lectures, labs, or between classes, except for religious reasons.

NSU has a dress code (either scrubs or anything professional) and an attendance policy (70%)...

...Unofficially...They keep saying they are going to try to enforce the dress code, but outside of OPP and CP lab (workout clothes) they don't really enforce things the way they say they will. I think the attendance is probably the same way...they pretty much turn the other cheek.

PCOM- whatever you feel like.

Icarus22 said:
NYCOM has a reasonably relaxed one as well. During OMM, male students are expected to wear gym or bathing shorts, females are expected to wear halter top or backless bathing suit, gym/swim shorts. No hats during lectures, labs, or between classes, except for religious reasons.

NYCOM doesn't have an attendence policy and ever second tueday of the month after the second friday is clothes optional day. Luckily for me that was the day of my tour :cool:

JasonUD said:
NYCOM doesn't have an attendence policy and ever second tueday of the month after the second friday is clothes optional day. Luckily for me that was the day of my tour :cool:

Clothes optional day??? Please post a few pix, Jason! :)

Who cares if you have to dress professional? Aren't you in a professional field? How many patients will tolerate being cared for by a doctor in ragedy shorts and a tank top? :eek: I'd tell him go get me a real doctor.

No dress code for COMP either, except for the same general requirements as above schools for OMM. You will only have to dress professionaly for Essentials of Clinical Medicine, and then only on days where you see the standardized patients. there's no real attendence policy either - OMM and ECM are required attendence, though. all the lectures are recorded and automatically posted to the web every hour; most if not all professors post thier presentations for download.

Attendance and this kind of dressing is good for discipline.

I was never a fan of dresscodes. Many doctors won't be wearing shirts and ties they will be wearing scrubs... which are much more comfy anyways. Shirt and tie is a little bit stuffy for me if I had to wear it every day

-Chris

igcgnerd said:
Who cares if you have to dress professional? Aren't you in a professional field? How many patients will tolerate being cared for by a doctor in ragedy shorts and a tank top? :eek: I'd tell him go get me a real doctor.

My REAL doctor was wearing a Spiderman button up shirt the other day and I was fine with it. :)

DMU does not have any sort of dress code/attendance except for OMM.

Yeah, God knows you don't want to miss out on learning how to give a kickass backrub..... :laugh:

igcgnerd said:
Personally one of the reasons I'm going into medicine is so I can wear my pajamas to work.......I don't know about the rest of you, but that was a big selling point for me!

JasonUD said:
I know we were all like "What is that kid doing without clothes?!" Then the interviewer came out naked, looked at Jason and said, "Well at least one of you read the schedule." :eek: