Class Choices for Next Semester

Started by bostonpet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bostonpet

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I'm trying to pick out classes for next semester and I'm having a tough time deciding what I should do.

I recently got a new job that'll be more flexible with full-time / part -time status and I want to take more than just one course.

I'm definitely signing up for my second semester of general chemistry. And I'm thinking of taking biostatistics. It's at Harvard Extension, so if any of you folks in Boston have taken it, I'd love to hear your opinion on the course. I already have one stats class, but I'd like to take this one too because it sounds interesting and right now I work indirectly with clinical trials at a pharmaceutical company. But maybe it wouldn't be worth it since I already have one stats class and a ton of other pre-requisites to fulfill?

I'm also thinking of taking precalculus so I can take calculus over the summer. So, I could potentially take 3 courses - but I'm not sure if this will be too heavy a course load since I'm still weaning myself into the work / school schedule.

And, the thought just came to me that I could start my first semester of bio at my community college instead as well.

I've looked at school requirements and it's tough to decide. One school requires an upper level stats class but no calculus. And another requires stats and calculus......ugh. But I know they all require bio...

Any insight what might be the best combo would be helpful!
 
Finishing up the chem series seems like a must so you can take orgo when its offered. Also if you haven't started on Bio then I would definitely do that because the series would most likely be required for genetics(nearly all require), biochem(lots require), microbio(nearly all require) and cell and molecular bio(couple require).
 
Finishing up the chem series seems like a must so you can take orgo when its offered. Also if you haven't started on Bio then I would definitely do that because the series would most likely be required for genetics(nearly all require), biochem(lots require), microbio(nearly all require) and cell and molecular bio(couple require).

I agree - if I were you, I'd try and get the pre-req bio and chem series done first. Bio and chem (both gen chem, then o-chem) are good to get out of the way because they're required for the upper level pre-reqs.

So definately the bio and chem -- if you have time and it's not an overload, the pre calc might be nice to finish too. As you mentioned, you may not need calculus depending on the schools you apply to. So if you narrow down your school choices before summer quarter, you may not even have to worry about the calculus : )

But don't stress yourself out, the school/work thing can be hard and science classes can be pretty demanding. At least they are for me ; ) You could try 2 classes this quarter along with work, and if that feels fine then 3 the next quarter.

Best of luck!