Class confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pony46

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing My B.A.( Democracy and Cultural Pluralism major in NY)up this semester and then plan on taking a semster 'off' and starting a post-bach next fall.
During my semester 'off' I want to take pre-calc and another course.....and do more volunteering.
BUT
for the life of me cannot figure out what course to take.

I believe, that the course that I choose can't be any of the four sciences because one must complete them all at one school if they are to be reccomended by the board. (and I want to go to tufts post-bach or H.E., i think and not stay in NY.)

I realize that this might be a weird question, but what type of class, that is not one of the basic sciences (which, obviously you would need to take any of the more advanced classes in science) would be a good class to take to support your knowledge for a future career in medicine~
any suggestions or thoughts....??

I have already taken 2 psy. classes and a bioethics course...just don't know what else would be useful and relevent and i want to spend my time well.

Grr.. :oops:
P

Members don't see this ad.

Pony46 said:
I am finishing My B.A.( Democracy and Cultural Pluralism major in NY)up this semester and then plan on taking a semster 'off' and starting a post-bach next fall.
During my semester 'off' I want to take pre-calc and another course.....and do more volunteering.
BUT
for the life of me cannot figure out what course to take.

I believe, that the course that I choose can't be any of the four sciences because one must complete them all at one school if they are to be reccomended by the board. (and I want to go to tufts post-bach or H.E., i think and not stay in NY.)

I realize that this might be a weird question, but what type of class, that is not one of the basic sciences (which, obviously you would need to take any of the more advanced classes in science) would be a good class to take to support your knowledge for a future career in medicine~
any suggestions or thoughts....??

I have already taken 2 psy. classes and a bioethics course...just don't know what else would be useful and relevent and i want to spend my time well.

Grr.. :oops:
P

Usually people find upper level courses helpful for med school and the MCAT like biochem, genetics, immunology, A&P, microbiology, molecular cell biology, etc.

Sundarban1 said:
Usually people find upper level courses helpful for med school and the MCAT like biochem, genetics, immunology, A&P, microbiology, molecular cell biology, etc.

Right but you must take the four basics first before taking any of the upper level classes. Is that not so??

to get reccomended by a board you must take all four of the basics at their school..No?

I know that Tufts only asks for six out of the eight basic classes to be taken there but I thought that this was an exception...

:confused:

Pony46 said:
Right but you must take the four basics first before taking any of the upper level classes. Is that not so??

to get reccomended by a board you must take all four of the basics at their school..No?

I know that Tufts only asks for six out of the eight basic classes to be taken there but I thought that this was an exception...

:confused:

I'm not sure of the specifics of what school will require you to take say, bio before immunology or genetics. Logically it makes sense just because you need a basic understanding of biology to understand genetics or immunology (if they are not pre-reqs to these classes, they certainly help), but I don't think you absolutely need to do them in any order, that is unless the school/professor is tough about taking the big 4 before any of the upper level sciences. Typically though, many undergraduates do take the upper level classes after bio, chem, etc. but like I said I'm not sure if there is a specific order they must be taken, at Tufts for example.