Class Fill Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petomed

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how quickly a DO class tends to fill up? Say it's a class size of 140 with rolling admissions. Is a school's goal generally to pass out 140 A's by November 15 and lock in those big deposits before the year is through?

Just looking at the traffic guidelines, I would expect applicants to field as many A's as possible by November 15 and then wait till December 13 to lay down a deposit on a school. This would mean many seats should open up on December 15, when all those students decide not to throw down a 2k deposit on multiple schools. December 15 should be the biggest step-wise release of seats in the cycle, since the increments that follow are based on continuous 30-day, 14-day, and immediate intervals. The exception would be on April 15 and 30, when similar guidelines set by AMCAS should lead to seats opening up in a somewhat stepwise fashion.

In the end, I'm just curious when the biggest movement towards an A is:

Hold --> II --> IA --> WL --> A

AACOMAS traffic guidelines:
  • Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
  • Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
  • Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days.
  • Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
  • After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone comment on how quickly a DO class tends to fill up? Say it's a class size of 140 with rolling admissions. Is a school's goal generally to pass out 140 A's by November 15 and lock in those big deposits before the year is through?

Just looking at the traffic guidelines, I would expect applicants to field as many A's as possible by November 15 and then wait till December 13 to lay down a deposit on a school. This would mean many seats should open up on December 15, when all those students decide not to throw down a 2k deposit on multiple schools. December 15 should be the biggest step-wise release of seats in the cycle, since the increments that follow are based on continuous 30-day, 14-day, and immediate intervals. The exception would be on April 15 and 30, when similar guidelines set by AMCAS should lead to seats opening up in a somewhat stepwise fashion.

In the end, I'm just curious when the biggest movement towards an A is:

Hold --> II --> IA --> WL --> A

AACOMAS traffic guidelines:
  • Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
  • Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
  • Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days.
  • Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
  • After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.
At my school, classes fill by March.

However, last cycle, do tot he massive increase in applicants, we filled in Dec.

Thinking about these types of things will only drive your neuroses into overdrive. I know that this will trigger a lot of delicate personas, but the healthiest way to deal with this pressure is to consider yourself rejected until you get that accept email in your Inbox, and be working on Plan B accordingly.

And stay busy!

Reactions: 2 users
This is my first application cycle and I had no idea how much effort it would take to submit all those secondaries. The idea of doing it all again in 8-months, after studying for an improved mcat score, keeping up with the extracurriculars, fielding more LOR’s, and taking more coursework to cross off required advanced pre-req’s…I will have to dig deep to deliver on that. I know that’s what many people do and I commend them. There’s no embellishment when folks tell us it’s a marathon, not a sprint—to get into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
It reeeeeally varies by school. UNECOM historically fills by November.

At my school, classes fill by March.

However, last cycle, do tot he massive increase in applicants, we filled in Dec.

Thinking about these types of things will only drive your neuroses into overdrive. I know that this will trigger a lot of delicate personas, but the healthiest way to deal with this pressure is to consider yourself rejected until you get that accept email in your Inbox, and be working on Plan B accordingly.

And stay busy!
@Goro - Are you experiencing similar number of applications this year also as last year?