class of 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tothplrdds

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to find out how the other dental school classes of 2004 faired when it came to advancing to the third year. UofMD Dental just beat up on their 04 class by dropping 5, having 10 others remediate the second year and having a few remediate now and postpone their boards. Quite a few are losing scholarships and the school is telling them we're doing this for your own good. Has any other dental school done this or is this unique to the UofMD dental school? What are some of the numbers for advancement to the third year? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am in the class of 2004 at Buffalo. We had 91 students when we began this year. We won't know for sure who has left or will be repeating till August when we return, but I'm guessing it will be 1 or 2 at most - the students who failed multiple courses. Anyone who failed just one course is probably going to be able to remediate and move on. Almost everyone legitamately passes all the classes, they only occasionally adjust the curve to pass everyone. We began in August 2000 with 90. Second year we began with 91 b/c - lost a few to transfers and repeating first year, picked up some foreign dds and one repeater from the class of 2003.

UofMD's policy sounds pretty harsh. Was it a surprise to the students that had to leave/repeat, or did they see it coming? Usually when a student is failing by the mid-semester point at my school, they offer extra-help or send a "shape up or else" notice so you have a chance to redeem yourself on the final.

griffen04,
The students and some of the professors were caught by surprise. The enforcement and lack of chance of the class wiped them out. It looks like the Biomed crs claimed most of them and the dept wasn't too willing to bend or offer too much help. UofMD should do great on the boards this year, they sent back or kicked out most of the fence sitters who were getting by, just not with A's & B's.