-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Class of 2013!!!
Started by tonkatruck
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
then its off to "big school" 

I got the info today on our pre-mat program. its for almost the entire summer, and I thought about it...
but then I decided I wanted to spend my last summer resting 🙂
but then I decided I wanted to spend my last summer resting 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And I can't wait 😛 I love them, but they sure can get me 😡then its off to "big school"![]()
seven years without a summer is a long time. I need this one so I can start off with a fresh outlook 🙂
And I can't wait 😛 I love them, but they sure can get me 😡
I have it easy. my parents have two homes bc they work in two different cities. mom's trying to move closer, but she won't be here til I leave...
I 😍 my mama, but I live much easier with dad.
groceries are important.
Apparently 😉.
yep. I've got two months left living with my dad.
then its off to "big school"![]()
YAY FOR BIG SCHOOL!!!!!
And I can't wait 😛 I love them, but they sure can get me 😡
Yeah, after 2 straight years of living with them, I'm really having difficulty refraining from getting mad when they treat me like I'm 12.
wow.
if you haven't seen this movie and you don't mind subtitles, u gotta see it.
if you haven't seen this movie and you don't mind subtitles, u gotta see it.
UM YEAH, you deserve it!seven years without a summer is a long time. I need this one so I can start off with a fresh outlook 🙂
Mine is going to be for the month of July, so I am pretty sure I am going to do it.....I am afraid of drowning the first month of school since I have been out since August 😳I got the info today on our pre-mat program. its for almost the entire summer, and I thought about it...
but then I decided I wanted to spend my last summer resting 🙂
SAME HERE, I lived away for 4 years, but if I try to leave the house after it gets dark, I get "the world is DANGEROUS" speech....while I am thinking about the truly dangerous things I have done that probably would make them faintYeah, after 2 straight years of living with them, I'm really having difficulty refraining from getting mad when they treat me like I'm 12.

UM YEAH, you deserve it!
Mine is going to be for the month of July, so I am pretty sure I am going to do it.....I am afraid of drowning the first month of school since I have been out since August 😳
yeah.. I thought about that... but I think I'm gonna keep reading moore's and lipincott and try to make sense of some of it on my own while simultaneously enjoying my break 🙂.
seven years without a summer is a long time. I need this one so I can start off with a fresh outlook 🙂
You do get the summer between M1 and M2 😉
And I am done with my master's degree!!! WOOHOO!!!!!
Congratulations! 👍
SAME HERE, I lived away for 4 years, but if I try to leave the house after it gets dark, I get "the world is DANGEROUS" speech....while I am thinking about the truly dangerous things I have done that probably would make them faint![]()
Ditto. 😆
yeah.. I thought about that... but I think I'm gonna keep reading moore's and lipincott and try to make sense of some of it on my own while simultaneously enjoying my break 🙂.
Overachiever 😛
You do get the summer between M1 and M2 😉
true but I'm already gunning for some nicu research 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
have fun azn!
Bye!! Have fun/be safe!! 🙂Just popping in to say good night to everyone. I'll be in the Poconos tomorrow and Sunday, so see you guys on Monday! 🙂
SAME HERE, I lived away for 4 years, but if I try to leave the house after it gets dark, I get "the world is DANGEROUS" speech....while I am thinking about the truly dangerous things I have done that probably would make them faint![]()
Yes, but at least they let you out after dark 😛.
Congratulations! 👍
Thanks!
Just popping in to say good night to everyone. I'll be in the Poconos tomorrow and Sunday, so see you guys on Monday! 🙂
Have a good trip aznb0y!!
seven years without a summer is a long time. I need this one so I can start off with a fresh outlook 🙂
so I'm a little tempted to go into congenital cardiothoracic surgery. That means:
4 yrs MD + 5 yrs surgery + 3 yrs CTS + 1 yr congenital/pediatric CTS + more years if I can't find attending position
so at least 13 years yay! Hopefully CTS jobs will be easier to find by 2022.
But I'll get to save babies! Even DABs!
now that azn is gone I have the whole weekend to pass him! Only 100 posts mwahahaha![]()
it's not hard. 20 second intervals are your only bottleneck
I read/hear goals like this and quickly remind myself to never ever again complain about how long I am going to be in school, since I probably will end up doing primary careso I'm a little tempted to go into congenital cardiothoracic surgery. That means:
4 yrs MD + 5 yrs surgery + 3 yrs CTS + 1 yr congenital/pediatric CTS + more years if I can't find attending position
so at least 13 years yay! Hopefully CTS jobs will be easier to find by 2022.
But I'll get to save babies! Even DABs!

now that azn is gone I have the whole weekend to pass him! Only 100 posts mwahahaha![]()
very evil......I hear stuff like that and I sayI read/hear goals like this and quickly remind myself to never ever again complain about how long I am going to be in school, since I probably will end up doing primary care![]()
"why didn't I become a teacher?" 
so I'm a little tempted to go into congenital cardiothoracic surgery. That means:
4 yrs MD + 5 yrs surgery + 3 yrs CTS + 1 yr congenital/pediatric CTS + more years if I can't find attending position
so at least 13 years yay! Hopefully CTS jobs will be easier to find by 2022.
But I'll get to save babies! Even DABs!
My research has to do with newborns with congenital heart defects (specifically, TGA and HLHS).. as I understand it there aren't a whole lot of places where there is a high enough volume (I know CHOP and CHB are the biggest places to go for that) so you're right, perhaps finding an attending position might be kinda tough.
CHOP (where I work) gets newborns from all over the place. I know CHOP has received kids born in Mississippi and Virginia sent over here to get surgery done. It's all about volume... and mad props to those CT surgeons, I've seen both the fontan and arterial switch operations, and I am still amazed how tiny the newborn's heart is. You gotta have mad skills to do what these guys do!
I read/hear goals like this and quickly remind myself to never ever again complain about how long I am going to be in school, since I probably will end up doing primary care![]()
Heh. It's gonna be really hard, as in not only time/effort, but technical skills. Not sure if my hands and tremors can pull through, we'll see on surgery rotation

Other than clinical psych.....teaching pre-school/kindergarten was going to be my backupI hear stuff like that and I say"why didn't I become a teacher?"
![]()
Can you imagine teaching colors, letters, and numbers all day?! So funso I'm a little tempted to go into congenital cardiothoracic surgery. That means:
4 yrs MD + 5 yrs surgery + 3 yrs CTS + 1 yr congenital/pediatric CTS + more years if I can't find attending position
so at least 13 years yay! Hopefully CTS jobs will be easier to find by 2022.
But I'll get to save babies! Even DABs!
Babies!!!! 🙂
Every so often I think about fetal surgery and how 😎 it would be. then I realize I wouldn't have much actual baby contact and decide to stick with neo.
Let's work together, SDN (even tho i'll be out in 2019) 🙂
I'm jealous RoadRunner. CHOP is like, the mecca of nicu....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My research has to do with newborns with congenital heart defects (specifically, TGA and HLHS).. as I understand it there aren't a whole lot of places where there is a high enough volume (I know CHOP and CHB are the biggest places to go for that) so you're right, perhaps finding an attending position might be kinda tough.
CHOP (where I work) gets newborns from all over the place. I know CHOP received kids born in Mississippi and Virginia sent over here to get surgery done. It's all about volume... and mad props to those CT surgeons, I've seen both the fontan and arterial switch operations, and I am still amazed how tiny the newborn's heart is. You gotta have mad skills to do what these guys do!
Yea. It's the most technically demanding specialty in all of medicine, pretty much. One of the few where you actually have to be extremely skilled in hands (AND MUCH MORE THAN JUST SEWING). I heard they look down on CTS, neurosurg, and peds neurosurgs from time to time, lol....
🙂 No joke! I am sure you will be great. I think surgery is the one aspect of medicine that I really don't have an interest in.... something about having your hands in people's bodies for a long period of time just doesn't call to me. But I gotta do it at one point 🙄Heh. It's gonna be really hard, as in not only time/effort, but technical skills. Not sure if my hands and tremors can pull through, we'll see on surgery rotation![]()
Babies!!!! 🙂
Every so often I think about fetal surgery and how 😎 it would be. then I realize I wouldn't have much actual baby contact and decide to stick with neo.
Let's work together, SDN (even tho i'll be out in 2019) 🙂
we can work at same hospital 👍 But I don't think a congenital cts would be able to work in private practice, we'd go broke
You wanted to open a practice right?I'm pretty excited about the unit where I'm going tho. our level ii nicu where I shadowed was 12+12 (twelve primary, twelve special care), whereas the new unit is well over 60, and a level iii.
I'm jealous RoadRunner. CHOP is like, the mecca of nicu....
No kidding. People here are very, very good at what they do.
Speaking of the NICU, I saw a 26 week-old preemie in the NICU yesterday while shadowing my PI (pediatric neurologist) on neuro consult service. I had no idea 26 weeks was possible! 😱 As I understand it, the placenta ruptured near the end of the second trimester. We reviewed the MRI and my PI was like... "at this age, the brain is basically edema". I wasn't sure whether to laugh or be a bit saddened..
we can work at same hospital 👍 But I don't think a congenital cts would be able to work in private practice, we'd go brokeYou wanted to open a practice right?
nah, I'm lookin at joining one. I've been offered a prelim position back here when I'm done, which would be awesome if it pans out. they are just building a new nicu with private bed w/ parent suites. 🙂
nah, I'm lookin at joining one. I've been offered a prelim position back here when I'm done, which would be awesome if it pans out. they are just building a new nicu with private bed w/ parent suites. 🙂
nice 👍
No kidding. People here are very, very good at what they do.
Speaking of the NICU, I saw a 26 week-old preemie in the NICU yesterday while shadowing my PI (pediatric neurologist) on neuro consult service. I had no idea 26 weeks was possible! 😱 As I understand it, the placenta ruptured near the end of the second trimester. We reviewed the MRI and my PI was like... "at this age, the brain is basically edema". I wasn't sure whether to laugh or be a bit saddened..
We had a set of 23 weeker twins when I was in... and several 24 weekers. We did deliver 21 week twins, but they ended up being transferred to a bigger unit.. I think only one of them made it.
The advances in neonatal medicine over the last decade are amazing. Thanks be to Survanta!

Yea. It's the most technically demanding specialty in all of medicine, pretty much. One of the few where you actually have to be extremely skilled in hands (AND MUCH MORE THAN JUST SEWING). I heard they look down on CTS, neurosurg, and peds neurosurgs from time to time, lol....
After seeing them in action, I would say they're at least justified in doing so!

we can work at same hospital 👍 But I don't think a congenital cts would be able to work in private practice, we'd go brokeYou wanted to open a practice right?
It's all about volume dude. Gotta do it at some of the baddest academic medical centers (CHOP and CHB ftw), but at least you'll be well-compensated.. 😉
I'm beginning to fade but trying to act like a twenty something instead of an old lady and stay up 

We saw a few 24 week kids here all grown up in our first day in med school (where you meet patients and learn their stories) The kids were cool but they will have problems for the rest of their lives... sucks. They seemed happy though.
nah, I'm lookin at joining one. I've been offered a prelim position back here when I'm done, which would be awesome if it pans out. they are just building a new nicu with private bed w/ parent suites. 🙂
Wow, already? That's totally rad. 🙂 You already have a pre-lim set up! Geez, I feel like a slacker 😉
We had a set of 23 weeker twins when I was in... and several 24 weekers. We did deliver 21 week twins, but they ended up being transferred to a bigger unit.. I think only one of them made it.
The advances in neonatal medicine over the last decade are amazing. Thanks be to Survanta!![]()
Yup, my PI said that in the older days, these type of kids went to the "dark room". I think you can guess what that means. 😱
we're kinda sorta watching this movie "dark rooms"
I'm beginning to fade but trying to act like a twenty something instead of an old lady and stay up![]()
lol wut
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mkay that was weird... your dark room and my dark room movie are completely different, I assure you 
I really hit it off with the neonatal group I spent a few months with. He told me that he'd love to hire me when I got through, that with my work that I'd done there he could tell I'd make a great neo. Plus they'll be looking to retire by then
I was thrilled and feel so blessed. I would absolutely love to practice there.

I really hit it off with the neonatal group I spent a few months with. He told me that he'd love to hire me when I got through, that with my work that I'd done there he could tell I'd make a great neo. Plus they'll be looking to retire by then
I was thrilled and feel so blessed. I would absolutely love to practice there.Yup-I have been this way since high school 🙂I'm beginning to fade but trying to act like a twenty something instead of an old lady and stay up![]()
I like these kind of stories!We saw a few 24 week kids here all grown up in our first day in med school (where you meet patients and learn their stories) The kids were cool but they will have problems for the rest of their lives... sucks. They seemed happy though.
Maybe a lot of them are old?me jealous. Cornell peeps are not facebook savvy 🙁
Pretty much they can keep any babies >21 weeks alive these days, they are just working on making quality of life better. Just in the past couple of years they've learned about vent therapy and the effect of extremely high o2 sats on the brain. I like the fact that there's so much going on and so many advances to be made.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 592