Class of 2017!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxallison

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heres a forum if you're applying to pharmacy school for Fall 2013. Where are you applying & what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

GPA: 3.7 with BS in Bio
PCAT: 65 might retake?
ECs: Shadowing (8 hours), Currently working in ER as Medical Scribe, Honor Society, Multiple Chancellor's and Dean's List achievements, 40 hours of hospital volunteering
Schools: UNC, Campbell, South Carolina, Virginia Commonwealth

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
~3.9 GPA in sciences/math
~3.6 GPA cumulative
-I have 86 credits, focused specifically on pre-requisites.

-50 PCAT score
-10 years retail management experience - 2 years of upper level district management (non-health realated)
-Shadowing experience with pharmacist.
-3 LoR from 1 pharmacist, 1 professor, 1 direct manager from my place of work.
-My mom thinks that I am the coolest kid in the world.

Last edited:
- 3.6 Cummulative GPA
- 3.3 Math/Science GPA
- 3.5 Pre-Pharm GPA
- Based off of 78 credits
- PCAT: 68

EC's: 20 hours of volunteering with an organization called Feed My Starving Children, 100 hours of hospital volunteering, Dean's list, President's list, Phi Theta Kappa Honor society, Pre-Pharmacy club, Environmental Club, Honors college

LOR: 1 from Chemistry II professor, 1 from volunteer supervisor

Schools I am applying to: Midwestern CCP (#1 choice), UIC

Last edited:
I'll be applying this upcoming cycle! :)
I haven't taken the PCAT yet. I'm also still bringing up my GPA this semester, so I can't really tell much until after July. I'll be finished with undergrad in the Fall.

ECs: Student Government Association Street Team, Pre-Pharmacy Society top member, active member and held multiple positions in my sorority, extremely involved in my schools Dance Marathon (non profit) for the past 3 years and now on the Executive Board, over 100 hours of hospital volunteering (50 of that in a hospital pharmacy), 50+ other volunteer hours, Dean's List, Order of Omega, Intramural Softball and Tennis. That's pretty much my resume in a nut shell. ;)

I'll be applying to all of the Florida schools and a few others in the Southeast.

Last edited:
None of you guys should stress too much about getting in. I think there are more than enough pharmacy schools for those applying. Everyone I know got accepted to a school. Even the ones that felt unprepared and were just giving it a shot in order to come up strong when the next cycle begins. Some had as much as 8 prerequisites to complete by the end of the Fall semester but they still had a school.
I know people will say "oh pharmacy school is HARD to get in". But I will say- no more, it just depends on what school you're talking about.
According to what you guys have listed, you're more than qualified for any pharmacy school now. So the hard part has been completed, about 90%. Just relax and express yourselves at the interview. Definitely everyone will get into a school. Gone are the days when you had to wait another year to improve your stats to get in, hence the pharmacy saturation= supply>demand= price reduction = low wages.
Note: a time will come, if you are not prepared to take $40,000 a year, someone will be glad to do so, just in order to pay those loans, and employers will win.
I wish you guys all the best, and congratulations in advance, you deserve it.

Science GPA: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.8
PCAT: 76
Experience: 8 years regulatory affairs in clinical development
Schools: University of Maryland, UNC, VCU

Last edited:
-GPA: 3.1---(GPA for last 4 semesters is 3.4)
-PCAT: 73--Still debating retaking it, but would like to be applied by August...so dunno.

-Will graduate w/ BS in Bio in summer of 2013

-LOR- 3 from Pharmacists and 1 from Professor.

-Exp: (7 years or roughly 15000hrs) in Hospital Pharmacy (trained in making IVs, Chemo, Neonatal dilutions, dispensing/stocking of narcs, & numerous medical based computer programs)

No Volunteer experience.

Applying to PCOM(Ga campus), South University, and Mercer University....would go for UGA too, but doing the foreign lang. req, would push me into fall 2013 for graduation.

Daaang it. I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Now I feel like I am nothing :(

gpa: 3.7~
science and math gpa: 3.7~
experience: cvs pharmacy tech
schools: rutgers, ucsf, unc, u chicago, u pitt, maybe u conn?
pcat: didnt take yet

None of you guys should stress too much about getting in. I think there are more than enough pharmacy schools for those applying. Everyone I know got accepted to a school. Even the ones that felt unprepared and were just giving it a shot in order to come up strong when the next cycle begins. Some had as much as 8 prerequisites to complete by the end of the Fall semester but they still had a school.
I know people will say "oh pharmacy school is HARD to get in". But I will say- no more, it just depends on what school you're talking about.
According to what you guys have listed, you're more than qualified for any pharmacy school now. So the hard part has been completed, about 90%. Just relax and express yourselves at the interview. Definitely everyone will get into a school. Gone are the days when you had to wait another year to improve your stats to get in, hence the pharmacy saturation= supply>demand= price reduction = low wages.
Note: a time will come, if you are not prepared to take $40,000 a year, someone will be glad to do so, just in order to pay those loans, and employers will win.

I respected what you said until you gave out a number 40k/year. This is too extreme. It is like saying global warming is happening, and soon enough, civilization will be destroyed. IF we all got accepted in this cycle, in 5 more years, taking into account 3% increase in salary due to inflation, the worst could happen is 80k/year. This number will not be "a lot" in five more years, but it is far more than 40k/yr

Daaang it. I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Now I feel like I am nothing :(

Welcome to SDN. A place where GPA is NEVER too high.

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel +pity+ for you. Good luck in your world with 40k/year. I doubt anyone would want to go through 4+ years of hell for 40k. :scared:

Welcome to SDN. A place where GPA is NEVER too high.

Correction: Welcome to SDN. A place where 4.0 GPA is AVERAGE.

Correction: Welcome to SDN. A place where 4.0 GPA is AVERAGE.

And I always find it funny when some of those people would worry about their chances of getting into pharmacy school.

My ugliest score ever is my gpa! Undergraduate is 2.57 but hopefully taking these post-bacc courses in a formal program will have some positive impact on admissions especially since my post-bacc gpa is a 4.0 but yeah. Only at the end of my summer classes will I see how much it has truly affected my overall GPA.
The positive thing is also my pcat composite score :] of 93

And so far, my only real pharmacy experience is volunteering at an outpatient clinic at SF General Hospital which has been tremendously helpful!

Good luck to everyone!

And I always find it funny when some of those people would worry about their chances of getting into pharmacy school.

With any luck, they will have a problems if the interviewer does their job and realizes "This person is going to talk to people for a living?"

gpa: 3.8 200+ hours of coursework
1000+ hours as a pharm tech
82 pcat

hopefully MUSC

I feel +pity+ for you. Good luck in your world with 40k/year. I doubt anyone would want to go through 4+ years of hell for 40k. :scared:

Just FYI masters students do. teaching undergrads is hell....

I would be happy working at a biotech lab making 45K a yr w/ a masters level education but I miss working with patients too much to give it up.

2.79 undergrad GPA (BA Biology), 2.4 math science (pre-requisites)
3.52 masters GPA in biochem (hopefully finishing that degree in August :xf:)
56 on PCAT (I'm retaking it in September & this time I'm going to study)
Almost 2 yrs experience as a pharm tech, TA for O chem, tons of research (publication when I finish my masters), heavy involvement in organizations as an undergrad, current TPA member

LORs from a former Tx pharmacy Association president and a former head of chemistry department from a Tx university

I know my chances are slim but I'm hoping that retaking the PCAT, cal I, and bio I in the fall will help them.

Applying to UTCOP, Tx Tech, TSU, Tx A&M kingsville

Good luck to everyone applying :luck:

4.0 GPA
2500 hours of pharmacy experience
6 years of combat medicine
79 PCAT
550 hours volunteering
I tutor most science classes (well the classes that are pre-reqs, anyway)

Hey guys,

Since all of the posts here have awesome GPAs and PCAT scores, I'll post my terrible stats to gives other people in my position (which I doubt there are) some encouragement.
As my username suggests, I had some bad work habits and was too social during my undergraduate years, now I am trying to recover, it may be too late but there is always hope

2nd time applier

B.S. Degree in Chemistry

Science GPA ~2.5:scared:
pre req GPA ~ 2.9 :scared:
Overall GPA ~ 2.5:scared:

took the PCATs 3 times:oops:
1st time: 71 comp
2nd time: 62 comp
3rd time: 67 comp

Worked as a teaching and lab assistant for gen chem, nursing chem, and organic chemistry lab sections
Tutored students in organic, general, and nursing chemistry
2 summers worth of summer lab botanical research (unrelated to pharmacy)
has worked 9 months so far as Licensed Pharmacy tech under 5 different pharmacists

Was president of chemistry club for 1 year
was active member in the environmental club, Pre-pharmacy club, and ACM

3 LORs from pharmacists
1 LOR from a professor

Working on personal statement.

I am confident, prepared for the worse, hoping for the best. Leggo! class of 2017!...which I probably won't be a part of...:D

Hey guys,

Since all of the posts here have awesome GPAs and PCAT scores, I'll post my terrible stats to gives other people in my position (which I doubt there are) some encouragement.
As my username suggests, I had some bad work habits and was too social during my undergraduate years, now I am trying to recover, it may be too late but there is always hope

2nd time applier

B.S. Degree in Chemistry

Science GPA ~2.5:scared:
pre req GPA ~ 2.9 :scared:
Overall GPA ~ 2.5:scared:

took the PCATs 3 times:oops:
1st time: 71 comp
2nd time: 62 comp
3rd time: 67 comp

Worked as a teaching and lab assistant for gen chem, nursing chem, and organic chemistry lab sections
Tutored students in organic, general, and nursing chemistry
2 summers worth of summer lab botanical research (unrelated to pharmacy)
has worked 9 months so far as Licensed Pharmacy tech under 5 different pharmacists

Was president of chemistry club for 1 year
was active member in the environmental club, Pre-pharmacy club, and ACM

3 LORs from pharmacists
1 LOR from a professor

Working on personal statement.

I am confident, prepared for the worse, hoping for the best. Leggo! class of 2017!...which I probably won't be a part of...:D

Where did you apply for the first time around?

I'll be applying this upcoming cycle! :)
I haven't taken the PCAT yet. I'm also still bringing up my GPA this semester, so I can't really tell much until after July. I'll be finished with undergrad in the Fall.

ECs: Student Government Association Street Team, Pre-Pharmacy Society top member, active member and held multiple positions in my sorority, extremely involved in my schools Dance Marathon (non profit) for the past 3 years and now on the Executive Board, over 100 hours of hospital volunteering (50 of that in a hospital pharmacy), 50+ other volunteer hours, Dean's List, Order of Omega, Intramural Softball and Tennis. That's pretty much my resume in a nut shell. ;)

I'll be applying to all of the Florida schools and a few others in the Southeast.
Where did you do all of your hospital pharmacy volunteering? I cannot find anywhere that will accept shadowing/volunteering. HELP!?!

Where did you do all of your hospital pharmacy volunteering? I cannot find anywhere that will accept shadowing/volunteering. HELP!?!

Most hospitals in my area have a volunteer program for different areas in the hospital (radiology, ER, child life, pharmacy...). I just filled out an application, selected pharmacy, attended an interview and orientation, then started volunteering! Most hospitals should allow this, there is one in my area that only allowed interns into their pharmacy though. I also tried volunteering at VA hospital but they never got back to me :( I've also heard that local/private pharmacies will allow shadowing, so you can try there.

overall : 2.7 (last 50 qtr units and 50 semester units ~3.99) w/ 15 D/F's and 5W's
prereq 3.0
B.S. Biology
pcat : taking in sept
120hrs volunteer at pharmacy
LORs: pharmacist, microbio prof, gen chem II prof, A/P prof
schools: loma linda, northstate, touro ca, touro ny, pacific oregon, mcphs worchester, midwestern arizona, lecom, umich, western new england, shenandoah, campbell

Most hospitals in my area have a volunteer program for different areas in the hospital (radiology, ER, child life, pharmacy...). I just filled out an application, selected pharmacy, attended an interview and orientation, then started volunteering! Most hospitals should allow this, there is one in my area that only allowed interns into their pharmacy though. I also tried volunteering at VA hospital but they never got back to me :( I've also heard that local/private pharmacies will allow shadowing, so you can try there.
Ok thanks! The local hospitals I've looked at for volunteering have positions that I feel are not worth my time. I do not want to volunteer in the cafeteria or gift shop... That isn't going to help me :/ but I will look into that!

-3.6 overall
-3.4 science (still have a year of classes to bring these up some)
- taking PCAT in July
- no volunteering as of yet
- pre-pharmacy active member
- NCAA college cheerleader
- graduating in 3 years
- 2 honor societies
- TA for gen chem
- tutor

Applying to all the Florida schools, South University and South Carolina

How are my chances?

Hellooo. I am also applying for Fall 2013. I has always thoughto to persue medicine until i started working as a pharm tech and realized I really saw myself as a pharmacist. i am having hard time figuring out which schools to apply to. Im paying for all the application costs myself and so cant afford to spend money on schools i wont have any chance getting into. At the same time I want to go to a good school. Some advide would really be helpful.

my gpa is a very lame 3.55 and my science gpa is a 3.4 .

I have been working as a pharamcy tech for about 2 years (getting LOR's from all 3 pharmacists)
I have done an internship at a hospital + shadowed doctors.
currently a volunteer EMT

studying hard for my PCAT which is in Sept. (late i know but i wanted to be prepared)
applying to touro (NY), LIU (long shot), University of Maryland Eastern Shore, MCPHS Worcester (first choice), Uni. of Washington, PCOM, LEMON eerie, St. jogn Fisher, temple, western new england (its a pre candidate but i figured it may be a safety)
im trying to eliminate choice that wont even look at me. please help

Last edited:
Applying: VCU, Maryland, Shenandoah, UNC, few others

3.5 gpa, ~3.3 science gpa
9 months working elec. assistant/plumbing apprentice, domino's pizza, pharmacy tech. since December
Volunteer at the ER (just started), volunteer as a tour guide for a museum, phi theta kappa member, biology club member, pre-pharm honor society member
PCAT: we will see in July

Only applying to UIC, not the best idea but even if I got accepted somewhere else I wouldn't go.

GPA: 3.86, math/science i think around 3.80 I'll be getting my BS in Biochemistry at UIC this May.
PCAT:unofficial score 84, I'm okay with it since I didn't even get a chance to study :/
but a 93 in chemistry so I'm happy about that! :D
EC: Chiropractor's assistant for 4 years and Pharmacy tech for 2 years.
LORs: Pharmacy manager and my Physical chemistry professor
In Phi Theta Kappa and Tau Sigma, not much else cause I work two jobs while commuting to UIC.

cum GPA: 3.868
sci GPA: 3.85
PCAT: Cali schools don't require
Schools: UCSD, USC, UCSF

EC: Soup Kitchen volunteer (120hrs), Boys & Girls Club volunteer (30hrs), BBB Biological Honor Society. Just started volunteering at a hospital and will hopefully be placed in the pharmacy.
Work Experience: 5 yrs delivering pizzas for Dominos Pizza/Pizza Hut (~20-35hrs/wk)
LOR: 3 professors (1 bio, 1 ochem, 1 cell physiology/research prof)

I'm very doubtful that I will get in this cycle due to my lack of pharmacy experience, but I'm going to try anyway. I'm getting my CPhT license next month and plan on working as a tech for the next year to improve my app. If I don't get in this year, I'll certainly get in next year!

Applying sophomore year.
GPA: 3.43 - Made Dean's list second semester; calculus killed my GPA (3.12) first semester.
Sci GPA: 3.3
All "tougher" prepharm electives are done though!
PCAT: 419/84 preliminary
Commuter
Community service for medical supplies company.
Schools if interest:
1. Duq
2. Pitt
3. WVU
LOR: Probably chemistry prof and biostatistics prof.

I hope my application will be average/above average.

When does the actual application open for schools? I am going to apply to Nova, UF, USF. I didn't think you could apply until August but I guess I'm wrong. Thanks

When does the actual application open for schools? I am going to apply to Nova, UF, USF. I didn't think you could apply until August but I guess I'm wrong. Thanks

PharmCAS opened june 1st, I believe, but I heard they aren't actually sent until august 1st (thus you can have it done already, but schools haven't seen any).
Supplemental applications are a different story. UF requires that you complete your pharmcas application, apply to the university itself, and then complete the supplemental pharmacy application. Both the UF and supplement application are available mid-august, according to UF's website.
USF sends supplemental applications by invitation, once your pharmcas application is received, and I believe it's only if you meet the minimum gpa requirements and the like.
Not sure about nova, but I know they have a supplemental application.

Don't worry about it. My stats are below.

2.9 cGPA
2.7 ~ 3.1 pre-req GPA (depends on school)
Very little pharm experience (I decided kinda late on pharmacy, but if everything goes out as planned, I should have at least 150 hours by the end of my last year of college)

ECs include 8 year holder of a USSF Grade 8 Referee license (1000+ hours of officiating) and a 4 year holder of a NSCAA Advanced Regional Coaching license (coached U-16 and U-19 traveling teams).

Yet to take the PCAT, but with my crummy GPA, I'm gonna need to shoot for at the very least a 90. :eek:

Overall GPA: 3.57
Science/Math GPA: 3.2-3.3 (boo genetics)
PCAT: 94 comp
Pharmacy experience: 160 hours interning in an outpatient pharmacy
other major ECs: Volunteering at a nursing home (40 hrs), treasurer/VP of a cultural club, research
School: UMich
LORs: Pharmacist supervisor + either cog psych professor/research supervisor

Probably not the smartest idea to only apply to UMich, but if I don't get in this year, I want to finish my bachelor's degree here. I'll probably apply to 6-8 schools next year if this cycle doesn't pan out :p

All of you guys have such high GPAs!!!

My overall GPA is around 3.3, PCAT score is 92% composite

Overall GPA ~ 3.1 (at a dang hard school if I might add)
57th percentile PCAT (comp) with 1 year of school down
Work at CVS as a CPhT throughout the year (10-40 hrs/wk, 1100+ hrs)
Volunteer & participate in theatre at school (plays & musicals)
Volunteer at church often
LoR from my PIC, staff pharmacist, and pre-pharm adviser
Want to go to University of Iowa but ill go wherever i get in
And most of all... I LOVE pharmacy haha :) I know its what I am meant to do

what do you guys think??

Overall GPA ~ 3.1 (at a dang hard school if I might add)
57th percentile PCAT (comp) with 1 year of school down
Work at CVS as a CPhT throughout the year (10-40 hrs/wk, 1100+ hrs)
Volunteer & participate in theatre at school (plays & musicals)
Volunteer at church often
LoR from my PIC, staff pharmacist, and pre-pharm adviser
Want to go to University of Iowa but ill go wherever i get in
And most of all... I LOVE pharmacy haha :) I know its what I am meant to do

what do you guys think??
If you could improve your PCAT even just 10 percentile, it'd help your chances a LOT. You have the bones, but a 57th percentile coupled with a below average gpa for most schools isn't the greatest. However perhaps you should consider a third year in college?

If you could improve your PCAT even just 10 percentile, it'd help your chances a LOT. You have the bones, but a 57th percentile coupled with a below average gpa for most schools isn't the greatest. However perhaps you should consider a third year in college?

Yeah, these are the things ive been wondering about. Thanks for the input! Ive been thinking about taking PCAT in October again and hopefully improving my GPA this year still.
Thanks!

if u have high GPA and have 1,000,000+ minutes of pharmacy experience (more than a janitor) go to medical school for """" sake :D

Only applying to UCSF
GPA 3.7
volunteer in hospital (with old people)
member of science engagement group
member of young mathematician
have quite adversity in my life that i hope to elicit emotional reaction of admission office :)))

Here is the information I know for my daughter.
From a good public university in California
GPA 3.34, not sure about science GPA or prerequisite GPA
PCAT 97 percentile composite (took only one time)

Passed California Pharmacy Technician certificate exam
Have volunteering experience in hospital and pharmacy, but hours not known
Member of several school organization.
Applying 12 schools - 5 in California, 7 in out of state

just got accepted for ED at the University of Maryland at Baltimore!

my stats for those who are applying, I think it will make a lot of people feel better about themselves:

current GPA 3.8
PCAT (taken July 2012) 79 percentile - bio 74, chem 91, reading 43, math 74, verbal 74
work experience: worked at the FDA summer 2010, worked at a private biopharmaceutical company summer 2011, teaching assistant and UMCP (I'm a sophomore)
pharmacy experience: NONE whatsoever

hope this helps!

Hi Everyone!

I've completed all my applications as of mid-January (I submitted my Pharmcas to most of my schools at the end of the October-mid November). I applied to the following:

UMD Baltimore
South University
UH Hilo
Howard
Shenandoah
Chicago State
University of North Texas
UT Austin

I got rejected from UT Austin. But I have an interview with UH Hilo in late February. But I have not anything at all from the other schools. Should I be worried? Should I contact the schools?