BOTH Class of 2018 Study Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortnakas

DO
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of us loved our study thread for Step 1, so why not recreate it for Step 2?

I know we won't be thinking hardcore about USMLE/COMLEX until next spring/summer, but figured we could use this for strategizing now, and for shelf exams too.

Paging: @W19 @gobigorgohome22 @Entadus @Ibn Alnafis MD @AlgernonMed @TheShaker @Mad Jack @NontradCA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know the most common cause of sepsis in diabetics? It is still staph aureus?

Sepsis is just SIRS + source of infection...so it would depend on the source of infection. If you're meaning septic shock I think the MC for anyone overall is strep pneumo

Seeing as how septic shock is just sepsis that is not responsive to IVFR, I don't see why your answer would be different between the two.

That being said, the most common pathogen for sepsis overall is Staph and Pseudomonas (per UW).

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing as how septic shock is just sepsis that is not responsive to IVFR, I don't see why your answer would be different between the two.

That being said, the most common pathogen for sepsis overall is Staph and Pseudomonas (per UW).

Because you can have a local infection and meet sepsis criteria. Does not mean it's going to progress to shock if the bug is a less virulent one.

And my bad, I remember learning S. PNA > Staph >> gram neg rods. (I also remember learning E. coli as MC GNR). But id always default to uworld!

Regardless, better to just use clues in the question to come to the right answer. It will vary based on the scenario. For example, if a person has a UTI and then progresses to septic shock, the bug is gonna be E. coli, even though it isn't the MCC of septic shock.

so do I have this right that you only screen for chlamydia and NOT gonorrhea during pregnancy? (unless high risk) Seems a little odd to just choose the one but thats what Uworld seems to be saying

Is there a point to taking practice tests other than getting an idea of what score you might get?

Maybe for getting into the flow of taking, and building stamina for, the real thing? I can see that, but after pounding UW questions and having taken shelf exams all year I don't see it helping me much in that regard.

I'd much rather not sit down and take one of these things, and instead use that time to relax or study directly towards the test, but if I'm missing something here I'll pony up and do one or two.

I like being asked questions that I'm not comfortable answering, so it's nice to see something a bit out there in terms of wording or whatever.

BTW took COMLEX Level 2 today. Damn that was grueling. Ridiculous break system.

Can you give a brief idea of topics that were emphasized and how much OMM there was? Did you use any COMLEX specific material to study or take any COMSA's? I have 3 days between USMLE and COMLEX so just curious about your experience.

Taking USMLE as well or no?

I honestly don't remember, kinda just autopiloted the damn thing. I'm taking Step 2 late May.

I didn't even study OMM. I practically guessed on every OMM question that wasn't VSR/Chapman.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took UWSA2 today....felt a lot harder than UWSA1 to me, but I scored one percent/one point higher on this one. Good questions, and definitely a few with info that I didn't see in Uworld, so I'd definitely recommend getting it if you have the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Took UWSA2 today....felt a lot harder than UWSA1 to me, but I scored one percent/one point higher on this one. Good questions, and definitely a few with info that I didn't see in Uworld, so I'd definitely recommend getting it if you have the time.
When is your test?

Anyone have a unique way to approach the questions with clinical trials that you have to look at? They take me way too long

I only did Uworld (~1,000 questions) and read few pages in step-up...

How good is the clinical mastery?

Haven't done them for IM and that's why I was asking you

I didn't do all of the NBMEs but I did one per shelf (except family because there isn't one). I'd definitely focus more time on Uworld because it has the benefit of explanations, but the shelf exam questions felt more like NBME's to me. And without sharing specifics I can't recall anyway, I would have sworn I had repeat questions.

Comprehensive Clinical Science Exam
Oh is that something the school administers or you purchase it on your own?

I'm only aware of the NBME exams (1 through 7 I think) and the CMSs. Is this one different?

Anyways, your performance is outstanding and you should be in a good shape for a very solid score on the real test

Oh is that something the school administers or you purchase it on your own?

I'm only aware of the NBME exams (1 through 7 I think) and the CMSs. Is this one different?

Anyways, your performance is outstanding and you should be in a good shape for a very solid score on the real test
What are the CCSE? Are they like the shelf exams?

It's an NBME you can only access through your medical school. According to my Dean the questions are pulled from a more recent pool. The CCSE is comprehensive so it contains all the topics on the real exam, basically medical schools use it to assess if a student is ready for the USMLE.

Reactions: 1 users
Been lurking for awhile, but thought I'd see if anyone could offer some advice/guidance. Currently on my dedicated time, I have other obligations and rotations that will start next Thursday (June 2nd). My COMLEX Level 2 is June 14 and Step 2 is June 21. Currently have 50% of UWorld done, first pass. I scored well on all COMATs (only 1 so far was under 110, 110 is 1 standard deviation above the mean), with my Psych COMAT score being released this week. I'm 77% overall on UW and 77% on IM so far. I have only finished the Surgery UW questions so far, with decent number of questions left on the other sections. Just finished my first pass through OnlineMedEd yesterday. Finished Pestana's during surg and Case Files OB/GYN on ob/gyn, otherwise no other resources completed or used much.

My goal is to beat my step 1 (>250) or at least get close to that. My plan was to crank through UW 4 blocks per day and finish a second pass of OME, then reset UW and bump that to 7 or 8 blocks per day. I'll have about 10 days solid of uninterrupted dedicated, but then will have a new rotation starting. Should be chill, only rounding in the AM then seeing consults during the day with the resident, out by 5 most days. Should be able to get through 2-4 blocks per day during that.

Is that reasonable? I haven't seen any surgery questions since September, so I'm a bit concerned about that section. My main debate is do I reset UW now or finish the other half and reset. Also, which self assessments to take and when? Considering doing UWSA 1 on Wednesday, then NBME 7 on Sunday and 1 per week afterwards, maybe supplementing with 4 UW blocks on those days. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Been lurking for awhile, but thought I'd see if anyone could offer some advice/guidance. Currently on my dedicated time, I have other obligations and rotations that will start next Thursday (June 2nd). My COMLEX Level 2 is June 14 and Step 2 is June 21. Currently have 50% of UWorld done, first pass. I scored well on all COMATs (only 1 so far was under 110, 110 is 1 standard deviation above the mean), with my Psych COMAT score being released this week. I'm 77% overall on UW and 77% on IM so far. I have only finished the Surgery UW questions so far, with decent number of questions left on the other sections. Just finished my first pass through OnlineMedEd yesterday. Finished Pestana's during surg and Case Files OB/GYN on ob/gyn, otherwise no other resources completed or used much.

My goal is to beat my step 1 (>250) or at least get close to that. My plan was to crank through UW 4 blocks per day and finish a second pass of OME, then reset UW and bump that to 7 or 8 blocks per day. I'll have about 10 days solid of uninterrupted dedicated, but then will have a new rotation starting. Should be chill, only rounding in the AM then seeing consults during the day with the resident, out by 5 most days. Should be able to get through 2-4 blocks per day during that.

Is that reasonable? I haven't seen any surgery questions since September, so I'm a bit concerned about that section. My main debate is do I reset UW now or finish the other half and reset. Also, which self assessments to take and when? Considering doing UWSA 1 on Wednesday, then NBME 7 on Sunday and 1 per week afterwards, maybe supplementing with 4 UW blocks on those days. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Sounds like a lot. I'd take UWSA1 to see where you stand, then make your plan based off of that. I found that there's a lot of inconsistencies between OME and the review books and Uworld, so decided to stick to just uworld to avoid getting conflicting info. I'd probably not do a second pass of OME unless your foundation is very weak in a certain area.

I was planning to take all of the assessments available, but after seeing that there is very little predictive value in the NBMEs, decided to just scrap those (I did take NBME7 as a baseline awhile ago though). I'd definitely use one of the UWSA first so you can get a true reliable idea of where you're at.

I'd make uworld the priority for sure though. Best of luck

Sounds like a lot. I'd take UWSA1 to see where you stand, then make your plan based off of that. I found that there's a lot of inconsistencies between OME and the review books and Uworld, so decided to stick to just uworld to avoid getting conflicting info. I'd probably not do a second pass of OME unless your foundation is very weak in a certain area.

I was planning to take all of the assessments available, but after seeing that there is very little predictive value in the NBMEs, decided to just scrap those (I did take NBME7 as a baseline awhile ago though). I'd definitely use one of the UWSA first so you can get a true reliable idea of where you're at.

I'd make uworld the priority for sure though. Best of luck

Thanks for the input! Greatly appreciated. I will try to take a UWSA asap, and try to crank out the rest of UW as quickly as I can. Do you think there is any logic in trying to mix in some surgery questions from other sources at all? That is my main concern right now is that I haven't seen any surgery stuff (aside from the EM COMAT in March which I did well on) since September, and little OB/GYN since November.

Thanks for the input! Greatly appreciated. I will try to take a UWSA asap, and try to crank out the rest of UW as quickly as I can. Do you think there is any logic in trying to mix in some surgery questions from other sources at all? That is my main concern right now is that I haven't seen any surgery stuff (aside from the EM COMAT in March which I did well on) since September, and little OB/GYN since November.

If you're going to be able to make a second pass of Uworld I wouldn't worry about it because you'll see all the surgery questions again. If not, then yes I'd find a way to get my hands on some more questions. I'd also say it's highly dependent on how you score in those sections on your assessment. If you do well, no need to worry about it.

I should add that I haven't taken the test, so take my advice with a grain of salt :) I've taken both UWSAs though so my scores on those is what I based my study plan around. Your mileage may vary!

My advice on going through Uworld is if possible never rush through it, especially if it's your primary resource, there's a lot of valuable information in the explanations that are easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

My advice on going through Uworld is if possible never rush through it, especially if it's your primary resource, there's a lot of valuable information in the explanations that are easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

100% agree. I'm on my second pass and take 4-5 hours for a set (which is TOO slow) even though I'm not missing many. Always learn a ton from every question whether I get it right or wrong!

It's incredible how much information is stuffed into UW Qbank. I, too, am on my second pass and feel that I need a third one to have some mastery of the topics they test.

If you're going to be able to make a second pass of Uworld I wouldn't worry about it because you'll see all the surgery questions again. If not, then yes I'd find a way to get my hands on some more questions. I'd also say it's highly dependent on how you score in those sections on your assessment. If you do well, no need to worry about it.

I should add that I haven't taken the test, so take my advice with a grain of salt :) I've taken both UWSAs though so my scores on those is what I based my study plan around. Your mileage may vary!

Good call on taking UWSA 1, just finished it up. If it is truly predictive, the score I received today is significantly higher than my goal score. I sucked at the things I figured I would (OB/GYN), but not in as many areas as I was expecting. I'll keep plugging through UW and try to finish it up then go through my second pass. I'll probably be going through it quicker than recommended, but I did the same review method for Step 1 and it worked out well for me. I'll focus my OME time on my weak points (apparently surgery wasn't one of them) and then see where I end up on an NBME in another week or so.

Good call on taking UWSA 1, just finished it up. If it is truly predictive, the score I received today is significantly higher than my goal score. I sucked at the things I figured I would (OB/GYN), but not in as many areas as I was expecting. I'll keep plugging through UW and try to finish it up then go through my second pass. I'll probably be going through it quicker than recommended, but I did the same review method for Step 1 and it worked out well for me. I'll focus my OME time on my weak points (apparently surgery wasn't one of them) and then see where I end up on an NBME in another week or so.

Awesome! Same thing happened to me and I ended up moving my test up 6 weeks haha so I'd definitely recommend it to anyone! Best of luck and I hope yah kill it!