Class of 2018: Where are you applying?

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, given that it is our second semester of junior year, many of us are starting to make decisions about where we will apply. So, go ahead and make a list for the rest of us to see. Feel free to rank your favorites or do whatever.

Members don't see this ad.

-University of Vermont (Top choice. Don't have to pay tuition [parents work there])
-University of Indiana - Bloomington (2nd Choice. Not too hard to get into but a very solid reputation)
-Penn State (3rd Choice)
-University of Colorado Boulder (4th)

Other schools I will might apply to but not in any particular rank:
-University of Arizona or ASU (Can't decide)
-University of Iowa
-Purdue University
-University of Illinois at Chicago

And yes... no private schools yet...

I have no idea, but I think I have narrowed it down to these 4. Still gotta get my major straight lol

- University of California: Irvine(prob won't happen, just gotta hope)
- University of California: Riverside
- San Diego State University
- California State University: Long Beach

Edit: Likin your out of state choice, I would do it if i had the $$ haha

Members don't see this ad :)
-University of Vermont (Top choice. Don't have to pay tuition [parents work there])
-University of Indiana - Bloomington (2nd Choice. Not too hard to get into but a very solid reputation)
-Penn State (3rd Choice)
-University of Colorado Boulder (4th)

Other schools I will might apply to but not in any particular rank:
-University of Arizona or ASU (Can't decide)
-University of Iowa
-Purdue University
-University of Illinois at Chicago

And yes... no private schools yet...

I'm applying to UVM, U of Indiana Bloomington, Penn State- Abington, U Iowa, (Not purdue, I heard it's a Pre-Med killer)

I'm applying to UVM, U of Indiana Bloomington, Penn State- Abington, U Iowa, (Not purdue, I heard it's a Pre-Med killer)

Nice list. No private schools either?

Nice list. No private schools either?

Ehhh. I'm skeptical about the price of tuition.

If I were to pick private schools, it would be Creighton, Rider, Scranton, and St. Joseph's University.

The tops of these programs would be Rider, St. Joseph's, and Scranton.

Ehhh. I'm skeptical about the price of tuition.

If I were to pick private schools, it would be Creighton, Rider, Scranton, and St. Joseph's University.

The tops of these programs would be Rider, St. Joseph's, and Scranton.

For me it was
1 Tuition usually much more.
2 Less research unless it's a huge private school like Harvard or Stanford, but the big private research universities are usually really competitive.
3 Fewer extracurriculars at smaller private institutions.
4 I need a large hospital to be close by for shadowing and volunteer. Most big public schools have one attached. UVM is connected to fletcher Allen.

For me it was
1 Tuition usually much more.
2 Less research unless it's a huge private school like Harvard or Stanford, but the big private research universities are usually really competitive.
3 Fewer extracurriculars at smaller private institutions.
4 I need a large hospital to be close by for shadowing and volunteer. Most big public schools have one attached. UVM is connected to fletcher Allen.

If you are in a city the hospitals are usually really close.

If you are in a city the hospitals are usually really close.

Yeah. And a lot of private schools aren't in cities. One that I was considering called "Knox" is in the middle of nowhere. It takes 2+ hours to get to Chicago.

I haven't completely narrowed my list down, but here are the schools I'm looking at

In State:
Duke University (Great School/Med School, Hospital filled with plenty of oppurtunities)
University of North Carolina (Same reason as Duke, I'm a huge fan of UNC Athletics :naughty:)
Wake Forest University (Same reasons as Duke)
NC State University (Safe School)
East Carolina University (Safe School)

Out of State:
University of South Carolina
University of Virginia

I'd like to stay closer to home :D

I haven't completely narrowed my list down, but here are the schools I'm looking at

In State:
Duke University (Great School/Med School, Hospital filled with plenty of oppurtunities)
University of North Carolina (Same reason as Duke, I'm a huge fan of UNC Athletics :naughty:)
Wake Forest University (Same reasons as Duke)
NC State University (Safe School)
East Carolina University (Safe School)

Out of State:
University of South Carolina
University of Virginia

I'd like to stay closer to home :D

Nice selection! I wish I could get into wake forest :(

Agreed.

And regarding going to UVM, it would cost around 47 grand a year for me.

Should I even bother?

Agreed.

And regarding going to UVM, it would cost around 47 grand a year for me.

Should I even bother?

You might be able to get some good financial aid. UVM has a large endowment for the number of students that attend. I would still apply. But of course, I'm biased.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. McMaster Uni
2. McGill Uni
3. Queen's Uni
4. Uni of Calgary
5. Uni of British Columbia - Vancouver
6. University of Alberta
7. Waterloo Uni...

No particular order of favourites - they are kind of all over the country....

1. McMaster Uni
2. McGill Uni
3. Queen's Uni
4. Uni of Calgary
5. Uni of British Columbia - Vancouver
6. University of Alberta
7. Waterloo Uni...

No particular order of favourites - they are kind of all over the country....

Whoa. You don't want to apply to a US school?

UPDATE (2/21/13):

I will also be applying to Boston University (BU)

You might be able to get some good financial aid. UVM has a large endowment for the number of students that attend. I would still apply. But of course, I'm biased.

I wouldn't mind going there. Though, if I get a girlfriend by the time I graduate, I think i'll be staying in Jersey.

If I don't, maybe we'll end up dorming together and hit up some VT girls while we're at it ;) :laugh:

UPDATE (2/21/13):

Maybe he wants to do residency in Canada and live in Canada afterwards. Come to UVM with nysegop and I :laugh:

And BU? Can we get in with our grades? Being that they are very similar. Or is that a reach school?

I wouldn't mind going there. Though, if I get a girlfriend by the time I graduate, I think i'll be staying in Jersey.

If I don't, maybe we'll end up dorming together and hit up some VT girls while we're at it ;) :laugh:

Maybe he wants to do residency in Canada and live in Canada afterwards. Come to UVM with nysegop and I :laugh:

And BU? Can we get in with our grades? Being that they are very similar. Or is that a reach school?

Yes! You should come to UVM!

As for BU... Yeah it's a bit of a stretch. It is one of the hardest ones on my list. I just really like Boston. Haha.

I'm sure you could.

They've been creeping up on my list since Freshmen year. I love there Med School and Campus! Plus, a lot of my senior friends are going there, so it'l be nice to have someone you know there.

I'm sure you could.

They've been creeping up on my list since Freshmen year. I love there Med School and Campus! Plus, a lot of my senior friends are going there, so it'l be nice to have someone you know there.

My GPA is too low for Wake Forest +pissed+

I'm not a junior but I still feel like replying to this post. Here's my list.

Northwestern- If I could afford it but their med school is number 1 on my list
Northern Illinois University
University of Illinois-Chicago-second choice
University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign- my top choice
University of Illinois- Springfield- third choice

I'm not a junior but I still feel like replying to this post. Here's my list.

Northwestern- If I could afford it but their med school is number 1 on my list
Northern Illinois University
University of Illinois-Chicago-second choice
University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign- my top choice
University of Illinois- Springfield- third choice

So many people apply to Urbana Champaign.

UPDATE (2/21/13):

It doesn't make sense for me to apply to a US school (remember, I'm Canadian) - the price inflation, taking the SATS, and even the chances of me getting into post graduate school in the US are all factors that dissuaded me...I always wanted to end up in the US....but right now, it doesn't make much sense...

Maybe he wants to do residency in Canada and live in Canada afterwards. Come to UVM with nysegop and I.

Didn't you say you would drive to Canada and deliver me those roses? Still waiting.....

Oooh...definately :) That would be awesome :) And both of you should come down to Canada instead...it's sooooo much better :p ;) Seriously...I'm not joking....

If I don't, maybe we'll end up dorming together and hit up some VT girls while we're at it.

Really? I guess I should say something about being chauvinistic pigs...and men and the like...but that would be totally hypocritical of me - hello BC guys! ;) :naughty:

Didn't you say you would drive to Canada and deliver me those roses? Still waiting.....

Oooh...definately :) That would be awesome :) And both of you should come down to Canada instead...it's sooooo much better :p ;) Seriously...I'm not joking....

Really? I guess I should say something about being chauvinistic pigs...and men and the like...but that would be totally hypocritical of me - hello BC guys! ;) :naughty:

YOU'RE FEMALE? I didn't know this...

I would go up there, however, it's my birthday today and I'm kind of busy for the weekend ;)

And why do you like Canada so much? Just wondering. I mean I'm not entirely hooked on the USA but I just want your take on it.

It's too cold up there for me though... I'm trying to get out of New Jersey and move out to California soon :naughty:

YOU'RE FEMALE? I didn't know this...

And I know right?! It's completely foreign to you and I because in the states absolutely no girl I know wants to be a surgeon :laugh:

This makes me happy. Futuresurgeon00, if you are a girl, and you went to my school, I would probably have asked you to prom just on this reason alone.

:cool:

Maybe I should move to Canada..... After all....

I would go up there, however, it's my birthday and I'm kind of busy for the weekend ;)

And why do you like Canada so much? Just wondering. I mean I'm not entirely hooked on the USA but I just want your take on it.

It's too cold up there for me though... I'm trying to get out of New Jersey and move out to California soon :naughty:

And I know right?! It's completely foreign to you and I because in the states absolutely no girl I know wants to be a surgeon :laugh:

This makes me happy. Futuresurgeon00, if you are a girl, and you went to my school, I would probably have asked you to prom just on this reason alone.

:cool:

Not if I had gone to the same school and asked her to prom for the same reason but first. Haha. Jk I wouldn't have the guts.

Not if I had gone to the same school and asked her to prom for the same reason but first. Haha. Jk I wouldn't have the guts.

Come on, nysegop! YOLO.

Jk, carpe diem is more classy. ;)

I don't have a prom date yet..... :thumbdown:

I would go up there, however, it's my birthday and I'm kind of busy for the weekend.

Happy belated Birthday :) Have a great one!!!!

I''ve been brainwashed by the Canadians. I was all pro-US, but now some aspects of Canada are more appealing - OHIP (the health plan), the lack of cliques....For the US, I had always wanted to move to California - I go there every summer :) (I have friends and family there) - I mean the salaries are like 2x as much there but...IDK....Maybe I'll come there for my residency ;)....

It's too cold up there for me though... I'm trying to get out of New Jersey and move out to California soon

I absolutely love California :D

And I know right?! It's completely foreign to you and I because in the states absolutely no girl I know wants to be a surgeon

Arijos0222 - I am a girl....and awww...:oops:

Totally :naughty:

I would have totally asked you instead ;b And...ooh...two future docs fighting over me? Maybe we all should just go to UVM....:):thumbup:

Come on, nysegop! YOLO.
Jk, carpe diem is more classy.
I don't have a prom date yet.....

Wait....you both have prom this year? Isn't it for graduating students? Unless I'm totally wrong and you both are seniors....Or is it different in the US?

And I would have totally invited you to our semi - it's March 1st...Wanna come? :naughty:;)
(It's first come, first answer ;b)

Last edited:
doctor-cake.html

http://cakes-by-jess.blogspot.ca/2010/05/doctor-cake.html (the image is not shown)

Happy Birthday :)

1. JHU (hopefully)
2. Case Western
3. Miami Oxford
4. Carnegie Mellon?
5. maybe a few bs/md programs if i can get my ACT score higher

1. JHU (hopefully)
2. Case Western
3. Miami Oxford
4. Carnegie Mellon?
5. maybe a few bs/md programs if i can get my ACT score higher

Nice list. Good schools.

QUESTION... Does anyone know if any of these schools are known to weed out premeds? (this is my updated list by the way)

r7Nseg7.png

Officially decided to go to UVM if accepted (which is likely). Reasons:
- Cost (No tuition for me)
- Parents teach bio there and I'm majoring in bio. Easy access to free tutoring.
- Pre-med community seems pretty tight and not cutthroat (there is even a pre-health professions dorm community).
- Close to family
- Close to mountains for snowboarding :)
- Strong research opportunities for both grads and ugrads.
- Maine campus is connected to both the medical school and hospital.

Officially decided to go to UVM if accepted (which is likely). Reasons:
- Parents teach bio there and I'm majoring in bio. Easy access to free tutoring.

That's cool :D can't use LOR's from them probably though which sucks if you beast the class :thumbdown:p

That's cool :D can't use LOR's from them probably though which sucks if you beast the class :thumbdown:p

Hopefully my advisor will put me in a different section. Unless one of my parents becomes my advisor....

meme-conspiracy-keanu-conspiracion.jpg

Hopefully my advisor will put me in a different section. Unless one of my parents becomes my advisor....

i could see them already trying to make your schedule for you

1334439323836044.png

i could see them already trying to make your schedule for you

1334439323836044.png

Haha. I'm actually going for a BA in biology so I will luckily have a lot of flexibility in the classes I'm taking. :)

I'm required to declare a minor though and I still haven't chosen one. Then again I'm not actually going to college until fall of 2014.

Haha. I'm actually going for a BA in biology so I will luckily have a lot of flexibility in the classes I'm taking. :)

I'm required to declare a minor though and I still haven't chosen one. Then again I'm not actually going to college until fall of 2014.

oh okay well you got time :D I'd make sure to use my parents the most I could though :p

Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Stanford
Wash U
Vanderbilt
Amherst
U Pitt
Rice
Colgate
U of Michigan
U of Rochester
Princeton
Northeastern
Baylor

Why so many? I'm an international student. My counsellor wants me to apply to 15-20 schools because of how much harder it is for internationals to get admitted.

Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Stanford
Wash U
Vanderbilt
Amherst
U Pitt
Rice
Colgate
U of Michigan
U of Rochester
Princeton
Northeastern
Baylor

Why so many? I'm an international student. My counsellor wants me to apply to 15-20 schools because of how much harder it is for internationals to get admitted.

dang genius :thumbup: :p

Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Stanford
Wash U
Vanderbilt
Amherst
U Pitt
Rice
Colgate
U of Michigan
U of Rochester
Princeton
Northeastern
Baylor

What are your grads like? SAT score? SAT subject scores? If you are not english native what did you get on your TOEFL?

Well...That's a lot questions! Let's see...

I'll give your my complete resume then.

Ethnicity: Half Middle Eastern, Half Malaysian

My course load through 9-10th Grade:
Urdu, English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Pakistan History, Math
11-12
Urdu, English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Pk. History (All advanced)
All A's and A+'s throughout 9-12th Grade but my 12th Grade finals went horrible because of severe health issues (Severe Acute Biliary Pancreatitis, Multi-Organ Failure, Collapsed lungs). The same reason goes for my gap year. My counsellor does mention all of this in his rec.
Class Rank: ~1-5 (Confidential. I don't know)
The recs that my teachers are writing for me are very good. All I know is that one of them told me that I'm one of the best she's ever taught.
SAT II Bio 790
SAT II Chem 800
SAT II Physics 800
SAT II Lit and Math 1 (sitting this May)
ACT Sitting this June (Have been getting 34+ in practice tests but that isn't a very accurate indicator of what is to happen is it..?)
Self-studying AP Biology and AP Chemistry (hoping for a 4 or 5. High school science here is much harder than most AP's)

Awards:
Daud Ilyas Medal for best graduate, class of 2012.
Won 2 MUN Best delegate awards at national level MUN's
Roll of Honour in extracurriculars

Extracurriculars:
800+ hours of shadowing a general surgeon.
Interned under the chief of UNICEF, Nigeria.
Volunteered in the Polio Eradication Campaign in Nigeria for 4 months.
I led the Healthcare awareness campaign of ASSET, a local NGO that works for female empowerment.
I am the marketing head of AFWA, a local NGO that is currently funding hundreds of schools for needy children.
I organised a tree planting campaign as an inaugural to the international year of forests. 10'000 trees were planted
I am the COO of Plasmascience, Pakistan's first student run science magazine. We've been recognized by people like Ali Moeen Nawazish and Professor Walter Lewin of MIT
I was the Head Boy/Member of the senior's club 2011-12
I was the press secretary of the GCU Library society 2010-12
I was the asst. secretary of the GCU Environment Protection Society
I was the asst. secretary of the GCU Horticultural Society
I was the Founder/Secretary General of GCU Environmental Conference where 45 teams from more than 5 countries gathered to present their ideas to promote sustainable development to companies like VINCI and Coca Cola for funding.
I won 2 MUN best delegate awards at national level MUN's
I've been running a soup kitchen in my city for the past 2 years.
I was assistant editor (English section) of the Gazette during the 2011-12 term. (school magazine)

As for the TOEFL, I plan to sit for it this summer.
As for my essay, it's about how, surprisingly, my health experiences, all the months spent in ICU didn't scare me or feel for others or teach me the value of life, they just made me happier. How they taught me that perseverance and will can give you anything you want.

-Anyways, it's 4 in the morning here and I just typed this random, fragmented version of my resume. I hope I didn't miss anything out though.
And my school's the most selective in the country. My counsellor told me that it matters a lot because especially for internationals, adcoms need to see what kind of school I came from so that they can have an estimate of how difficult it was for me to obtain my grades and in-school extracurriculars.

Given those stats I'd say your chances are as follows:

Harvard - Medium
Yale - Medium
Columbia - Medium
Stanford - Medium
Wash U - Pretty Good
Vanderbilt - Pretty Good
Amherst - Medium
U Pitt - Easy. You should have no problems here.
Rice - Good
Colgate - Very Good
U of Michigan - Good, except they favor in-state students. :(
U of Rochester - Easy. You'll make it in.
Princeton - Medium
Northeastern - Easy
Baylor - Very good

woah man, harvard, yale, princeton, stanford, and columbia are reaches for anyone imo, no matter how good your stats are. That being said, if I were you I'd apply because those are impressive, good job so far :)

Thanks man :) Oh and some people tell me that if my course load was more impressive, I could've had better chances at Harvard, Yale, etc but just to let you know, we have a fixed curriculum here. So I had no choice.
Oh and FYI. SDN>>>>>>>>>CC

Oh and thanks a lot man. I'm one of the very few people applying to go to the US. Everyone else is all Oxbridge. I really needed to know my chances from someone who could tell. I guess chances at ivies can't be bumped higher. They're always gonna be crapshoots.
Oh and we need to make our application cycle thread here this fall. It'll be better as we're all prospective pre-health students.
My counsellor was talking about vermont one day. He said its crazy beautiful (the surroundings+campus) as far as I remember...
Cheers,
Shahrez

Oh and thanks a lot man. I'm one of the very few people applying to go to the US. Everyone else is all Oxbridge. I really needed to know my chances from someone who could tell. I guess chances at ivies can't be bumped higher. They're always gonna be crapshoots.
Oh and we need to make our application cycle thread here this fall. It'll be better as we're all prospective pre-health students.
My counsellor was talking about vermont one day. He said its crazy beautiful (the surroundings+campus) as far as I remember...
Cheers,
Shahrez

Just keep in mind that at some US schools international admissions are way more competitive.