Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had seen someone say "her". I'm sorry @hellanutella if I'm wrong and offending you :( The whole anonymity thing has me confused :/
It's a her (She's posted in the Women's Interview Clothing Thread).

P.S. I'm not stalking you @hellanutella , I promise!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Oh my apologies @hellanutella, I've actually seen you being referred to as a her before too but I just left it to MDapps to be sure. Oops.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats for all the exciting news everyone!! :) I agree -- I was really worried about what my letters said for no particular reason other than that I'm a worrier who assumes that everyone harbours secret hatred for me. Once I got a few IIs, I decided that my letter writers don't hate me after all :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a her (She's posted in the Women's Interview Clothing Thread).

P.S. I'm not stalking you @hellanutella , I promise!

Hahaha, don't worry!

Nothing stopping the menfolk from getting female interview clothes ;)

Oh my apologies @hellanutella, I've actually seen you being referred to as a her before too but I just left it to MDapps to be sure. Oops.

No need to apologize! :) You guys are really kind and considerate! (And this is coming from someone who used to live in Canada).

Reactions: 1 users
It's been anonymized... I'm neither male, East Asian, from Arizona, nor 24 ;)
Wait, does this mean you don't have an afro as well? :p

upload_2014-8-22_16-28-28.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
Sadly, no. And no luscious goatee, either. :cryi:

Just thought that guy had the best profile out of the ones available and I liked the colour palate. (And the fact that afros are intrinsically awesome).
Bummer... that was one of my favorite things about you haha. I guess you're still pretty awesome without the afro lol

Hurry on that secondary. Apparently Interviews are already filled through December. :confused:
Yikes! Well, In that case, I already submitted the secondary a few days ago, so I hope Tulane likes my donation.

I always assumed @hellanutella was a male, until I saw her mention something about owning flats (or heels, or whatever) earlier in the thread. I find that I have the bad habit of assuming the internet is one big sausage-fest :smack: .

Reactions: 4 users
MDApps finally let me in. What a drag... Hoping everyone starts the week with some love! :)

Waiting on USUHS, NYMC, FSU, UCF and EVMS. Can't submit UCF, Quinnipiac, and FAU until my letters are done. Drexel and Wake Forest still AWOL for secondaries. Hmm...

Man you guys are really killing it! Congrats to all those who got interviews today!

Congrats @turayza for getting some love from Northwestern! Could not be happier for you
hg23.gif
<-- this is suppose to be a hedgehog lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man you guys are really killing it! Congrats to all those who got interviews today!

Congrats @turayza for getting some love from Northwestern! Could not be happier for you
hg23.gif
<-- this is suppose to be a hedgehog lol.

Time to make some cookies!! :D

Reactions: 2 users
Can we have actual irl cookie parties before interviews?

I want an invite!!! I can break my diet for a cookie party with you guys :D

Edit: to clarify... Invite to the party haha

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Ok so I made chocolate cupcakes (they're naked right now) but something weird happened to some of them....

normal looking:
IMG_20140822_231016.jpg

exploded!
IMG_20140822_231003.jpg

Ok so I made chocolate cupcakes (they're naked right now) but something weird happened to some of them....

normal looking:
IMG_20140822_231016.jpg

exploded!
IMG_20140822_231003.jpg
I think by "wrong" you mean terribly right.

Just wanted to say again
Can we have actual irl cookie parties before interviews?
I would love that however I am nowhere near you guys' level when it comes to the schools I applied to :/. Having serious FOMO right now.

Just wanted to say again

I would love that however I am nowhere near you guys' level when it comes to the schools I applied to :/. Having serious FOMO right now.

Aw, don't worry! SDN is super abnormal representation, and the people who tend to post usually post good news (you can hardly post "nothing today" on every school thread right) -- it's still early in the cycle :)

I can't promise you irl cookies, but for now:
IMG_20140823_093804.jpg

IMG_20140823_093810.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Aw, don't worry! SDN is super abnormal representation, and the people who tend to post usually post good news (you can hardly post "nothing today" on every school thread right) -- it's still early in the cycle :)

IMG_20140823_093804.jpg

IMG_20140823_093810.jpg
Being friends with you would be very, very bad for my waistline.

IMG_20140823_093804.jpg

IMG_20140823_093810.jpg

Uh, whatever school you're going to – I want to go, too.

Baking used to be one of my very favorite things to do, but it's harder to bake when I live in a dorm room! Hopefully it is a hobby I will be able to pick up again soon :)

Also- Less than 48 hours until my first interview.... :nailbiting:

Reactions: 3 users
Baking used to be one of my very favorite things to do, but it's harder to bake when I live in a dorm room! Hopefully it is a hobby I will be able to pick up again soon :)

Ahhhh good luck! You're going to do splendidly! I have one on Monday, too. :grumpy:

Travelling all tomorrow, so today is "script insightful and thought-provoking questions to ask interviewers" day... because asking them about their school's proximity to delicious bakeries ain't gonna fly.

How are you guys preparing for interviews? I'm kind of at a loss for what to do.

How are you guys preparing for interviews? I'm kind of at a loss for what to do.
Google a list of common/relevant interview questions. Think of good answers for them. Then practice saying them out loud. Make sure you don't sound rehearsed. Better if you have a friend,doctor, or career advisor to mock interview you. Read up on the Affordable Care Act, Medicare/Medicaid, and common medical ethics topics such as euthanasia, abortion, and stem cell research. Make sure you can provide good answers for arguing for or against an ethical viewpoint. Make sure you have a good answer for "What do you think is the biggest issue on healthcare today?" Do your homework and research the school you're going to so that you have great, specific questions to ask them about their program.

I'm going to read up on the school and go through lists of questions. I'm more nervous about what to pack and how to keep my suit jacket from not wrinkling. ahhh.

Good luck!! Tell us how it goes after :D

@hellanutella you too!! It'll be awesome--adcoms will pull you aside at the end of the day to offer you a full ride right there :p

How "deep" do we need to get on the PPACA? I have a very scant econ background and I've tried to get some of the major changes nailed down, but I cannot remember all the specifics or understand most of the policy stuff. ;___; (Total straight-science/bench research dweeb reporting in).

I like graphs, though. Graphs are cool. Kff.org did a very good job of making it a lot less scary and I read up a lot on my state's progress, but I don't feel like I sound very knowledgable when I talk about this stuff.

Good luck!! Tell us how it goes after :D

@hellanutella you too!! It'll be awesome--adcoms will pull you aside at the end of the day to offer you a full ride right there :p

Awh, thanks! I hope things go well. No full rides at this school, but I'm hoping they have some cookies at the interview lunch muahaha...

Good luck this week everyone!!! My first is on Friday. I'm nervous! I don't think I've prepared nearly enough but I've read a book and watched a few documentaries and have a mock interview this week.... So hopefully that'll be enough but it doesn't quite feel like it will be. We will see though!!! Hoping for the best. I'm just excited for the opportunity to visit and tour and have a chance to attend!

Posted using SDN Mobile

How "deep" do we need to get on the PPACA? I have a very scant econ background and I've tried to get some of the major changes nailed down, but I cannot remember all the specifics or understand most of the policy stuff. ;___; (Total straight-science/bench research dweeb reporting in).

I like graphs, though. Graphs are cool. Kff.org did a very good job of making it a lot less scary and I read up a lot on my state's progress, but I don't feel like I sound very knowledgable when I talk about this stuff.

Awh, thanks! I hope things go well. No full rides at this school, but I'm hoping they have some cookies at the interview lunch muahaha...

For the ACA you should definitely understand the overall reasoning (what major healthcare issues is it aimed to improve) and some impacts on healthcare providers and on patients.
Anyone who has corrections / something to add feel free to chime in!

The main problems it is targeting:
-health insurance unaffordability, which led to a high uninsured rate
-insurance companies could withdraw coverage or charge exorbitant fees for pre-existing conditions (so that those who really super needed health insurance were oftentimes left without it)
-medicare using up too much monies

Some policies:
-insurance companies cannot deny coverage or charge super high rates for pts with pre-existing conditions; they also cannot withdraw coverage if a new condition develops
-medicaid expansion (opt-in by state) which subsidizes insurance for...I forget but something like families earning 133% to 400% of the federal poverty line; ie. states that opt in (the state pays for the expansion) supports lower-middle class families for their insurance; medicaid pays in full (federal pays) for pts earning 133% or less of federal poverty line
-establish "marketplace" for insurance (ideally run by states; otherwise run by federal gov't) where pts can shop around and sign up once a year
-federal penalty tax (as proportion of income, I believe) for individuals who choose NOT to register for health insurance
-employers over a certain size (30 full-time employers or something) have to offer company health insurance to employees

Problem it acknowledges but really hasn't combated:
-pay-for-service compensation encourages quantity of care over quality of care
-how much medicare costs the government

Impact on healthcare providers:
...dunno. Changes in compensation for sure; medicaid is notorious for under-compensation of healthcare providers and medicaid expansion = more procedures being "paid" for via medicaid.
Also more patients should be insured -- better to get medicaid compensation than no compensation at all!

Impact on patients:
Super confusing "marketplace" to purchase insurance. Some people (lower than 400% of poverty line) will suddenly have awesome subsidies to their health insurance, whereas some (over 400% poverty line but right around there) will suddenly see increases in their health insurance costs.
More people should be insured, and insurance policies that are okay-ed by the ACA (to avoid the penalty tax for not enrolling) have to contain certain things, such as prenatal/obstetric care for all women of childbearing age.

That's mostly what I remember...we covered this as a part of a public health class but I'm sure there are other aspects I've forgotten.

Reactions: 12 users
For the ACA you should definitely understand the overall reasoning (what major healthcare issues is it aimed to improve) and some impacts on healthcare providers and on patients.

-insurance companies could withdraw coverage or charge exorbitant fees for pre-existing conditions (so that those who really super needed health insurance were oftentimes left without it)

Some policies:
-insurance companies cannot deny coverage or charge super high rates for pts with pre-existing conditions; they also cannot withdraw coverage if a new condition develops
-medicaid expansion (opt-in by state) which subsidizes insurance for...I forget but something like families earning 133% to 400% of the federal poverty line; ie. states that opt in (the state pays for the expansion) supports lower-middle class families for their insurance; medicaid pays in full (federal pays) for pts earning 133% or less of federal poverty line
-establish "marketplace" for insurance (ideally run by states; otherwise run by federal gov't) where pts can shop around and sign up once a year
-federal penalty tax (as proportion of income, I believe) for individuals who choose NOT to register for health insurance
-employers over a certain size (30 full-time employers or something) have to offer company health insurance to employees

...dunno. Changes in compensation for sure; medicaid is notorious for under-compensation of healthcare providers and medicaid expansion = more procedures being "paid" for via medicaid.
Also more patients should be insured -- better to get medicaid compensation than no compensation at all!

Impact on patients:
Super confusing "marketplace" to purchase insurance. Some people (lower than 400% of poverty line) will suddenly have awesome subsidies to their health insurance, whereas some (over 400% poverty line but right around there) will suddenly see increases in their health insurance costs.
More people should be insured, and insurance policies that are okay-ed by the ACA (to avoid the penalty tax for not enrolling) have to contain certain things, such as prenatal/obstetric care for all women of childbearing age.

That's mostly what I remember...we covered this as a part of a public health class but I'm sure there are other aspects I've forgotten.
I'm gonna look over all this info tomorrow to make sure it's accurate, but I think if we all took the time to memorize these facts, them we should be able to give a good answer if our interviewers ask about the ACA.

Some policies:

Impact on patients:

THIS IS AWESOME. Definitely need to do more reading on this and I am kicking myself for not reading in depth about the PPACA sooner; it's actually really interesting, important, and relevant.

One aspect my Baylor friend mentioned (this is particularly important for Texans) is the coverage gap, which is affecting people in states that did not expand Medicaid. There's something like >4 million people nationwide in this gap – over 1 million of which are in Texas – who do not qualify for Medicaid within their opt-out state (limited to ≤46% FPL) and cannot receive the PPACA's marketplace subsidies (extended to those 100% to 400% of the FPL). Essentially you're left with a group of people between 47-99% of the FPL with no means of assistance when it comes to receiving health insurance. This is something that seriously needs to be addressed.

This is great guys! I'll go through some of public health coursework and see what I can scrounge up too. In the mean time, I found this 'study guide.' It's really long and kind of old, but it still has some great questions.

Guys I recommend the Health Care Handbook. Its a fairly short read and it explains a lot of the intricacies of the health care system. As a side note, I'm focusing on questions like "Why a physician?" and "Why this school?"Also, here is a great list to help you prepare!

Attachments

• Med_100 intquest.pdf
    89.3 KB · Views: 88
Whelp. Just checked into my hotel and saw some other slightly-dazed premeds piling into the lobby.

Things just got real.

Reactions: 7 users
Whelp. Just checked into my hotel and saw some other slightly-dazed premeds piling into the lobby.

Things just got real.

Oh my gosh. Good luck!!! You're going to do GREAT!! :) I can't wait to hear about how much you rocked it!

You got this, girl! I believe both me and sunflower have interviews this week too!

ECU for you and GW for sunflower, correct? You guys are going to do phenomenal!

Please report back to this thread with post-interview impressions, because I love hearing about all the different interview days :D it's probably my favourite part of mdapps, since I get to hear about the schools I didn't apply to/get interviews at.

Please report back to this thread with post-interview impressions, because I love hearing about all the different interview days :D it's probably my favourite part of mdapps, since I get to hear about the schools I didn't apply to/get interviews at.

Yes on my end!!! I certainly will report back. I'll put it on my mdapps too. You do the same!!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Sure thing! I can't wait to be back in NC, even if it's only for 2 days.

Things just got real.

Whelp. Sitting in my host's apartment, frantically googling everything there is to know about this school...

I'm not ready!

But in reality, I am sure we will both do great. Especially you.

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck everyone with interviews tomorrow! It doesn't seem real yet that interviews are basically upon us!

Best of luck to everyone with interviews this week! Go out and kill'em :D