IA back in 2019...am I doomed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RNpremed_Nontrad

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I learned about IA from a post from a reddit about a student who had a meltdown because of his/her multiple IAs.

While reading through the post, I realized that I may have an IA.

Some backgrounds about myself. I am going to apply in 2024 cycle.

I graduated in 2021. I am taking pre-reqs that were not required for nursing school currently so GPA may change a little bit.

GPA: 3.94 sGPA: 3.98 (Low-tier state school) MCAT: Have not taken it yet (shooting for 515+) Race: Asian

Work experience: ICU nurse for 1.5 years, 4 months of COVID ICU. I am still working as a nurse.

Volunteer: 100+ hrs clinical volunteer - Free clinic as a RN.

Leadership:
- Choir leader in local church
- President of school organization

Shadow:
- 5 hr hospitalist, 5 hr nephrologist, 5 hr Intensivist, 5 hr ENT
- 2 hr interview with Radiologist

Teaching experience
- 150+ hr non-paid BJJ instructor

Research:
- None. I am hoping to find one within this year.

Here is my IA story:

In 2019, I was a sophomore taking physiology class for my nursing school. In that course, I had to conduct a research project throughout the semester. At the end of the semester I had to submit a paper that was about 10 pgs long. My professor found 1 sentence that was word to word identical to my source. He reported this to Academic dishonesty (AD) department and I got 0 on the assignment. I received an official letter from AD department and had to watch a plagiarism education video.

Despite getting 0 on that assignment, I got an A on that course and was dean's listed/good standing in that semester. Since then, I have never gotten in trouble for plagiarism.

I think this falls under IA, but I do not know if it is recorded as I cannot find anything on my transcript. I am going to check with school to see if there is a record of this. Regardless, I am going to report this when I apply to medical school.

Am I doomed guys? I am really heartbroken as I was so excited about this whole journey. I feel like all my efforts are going in vain because of this one mistake.

Edit: Thanks for all of your input! I initially thought I was doomed, but I now I see hope! I checked with the school and there is a record of a plagiarism incident. For those of you who suggested me not reporting if there isn't a record of it, I understand where you are coming from, but, as I said, I want to be transparent about it and own my mistake. But I still appreciate the input! I hope I can see everyone on the other side as an M1! Wish me luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly what a terrible professor
It was definitely a surprise for me since I had really good relationship with the professor. I was also a top student in that class! I wish the outcome was different, but I honestly do not blame the professor. He just followed the rule. It was very clearly stated in his syllabus. I should have been more careful.

I applied this cycle with an academic dishonesty IA from my junior year of undergrad and have been accepted to 5 schools. Just be honest about what happened and how you grew from it. An IA is definitely not the end of the road so don’t stress about it!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it's not on your academic transcript or disciplinary record (two different things and you can request both to see) then you never got a formal IA. Did the department ever say anything about your record?

Reactions: 1 users
I applied this cycle with an academic dishonesty IA from my junior year of undergrad and have been accepted to 5 schools. Just be honest about what happened and how you grew from it. An IA is definitely not the end of the road so don’t stress about it!!!
Thank you so much! I will try not to stress lol. On the flip side, this definitely gave me more motivation to work harder. I hope to see everyone on the other side as a M1!

If it's not on your academic transcript or disciplinary record (two different things and you can request both to see) then you never got a formal IA. Did the department ever say anything about your record?
I just found out about this so I will know whether if it's on my record tomorrow. I am planning on reporting this whether there is a record or not. I know reporting when there is no record is a dumb move, but I do not want to lie and have it bite my ass later on.

You're fine! So chill.
Thank you omnipresent Goro! I am planning on working harder to make myself more competitive as checking 'yes' to IA question can be a huge red flag to many medical schools. I will chill once I am on the other side!

Reactions: 1 user
I just found out about this so I will know whether if it's on my record tomorrow. I am planning on reporting this whether there is a record or not. I know reporting when there is no record is a dumb move, but I do not want to lie and have it bite my ass later on.
Yeah don't shoot yourself in the foot without the full picture. I'm not saying whether or not it was cleared from your record, which you technically have to report as AMCAS's policy on expungement is draconian. Find out whether or not the school ever considered it an institutional action in the first place. If they did, then sure, you should report.

Last edited:
Here's all you need to say, "In 2019, I was a sophomore taking a physiology class. I submitted the required 10 page paper at the end of the semester. My professor found 1 sentence that was word to word identical to my source. He reported this to the Academic dishonesty (AD) department and I got 0 on the assignment. I received an official letter from the AD department and had to watch a plagiarism education video. I learned to be more careful in citing and quoting sources."

Here's all you need to say, "In 2019, I was a sophomore taking a physiology class. I submitted the required 10 page paper at the end of the semester. My professor found 1 sentence that was word to word identical to my source. He reported this to the Academic dishonesty (AD) department and I got 0 on the assignment. I received an official letter from the AD department and had to watch a plagiarism education video. I learned to be more careful in citing and quoting sources."
Can it be that brief? I thought I had to elaborate on this a little bit more. Is less better than more?

Can it be that brief? I thought I had to elaborate on this a little bit more. Is less better than more?
It requires no more. Focus on improving your application in other ways (such as more volunteering).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, so I learned about IA from a post from a reddit about a student who had a meltdown because of his/her multiple IAs.

I graduated in 2021. I am taking pre-reqs that were not required for nursing school currently so GPA may change a little bit.

GPA: 3.94 sGPA: 3.98 (Low-tier state school) MCAT: Have not taken it yet (shooting for 515+) Race: Asian

Work experience: ICU nurse for 1.5 years, 4 months of COVID ICU. I am still working as a nurse.

Leadership:

Shadow:

Teaching experience

Research:

Here is my IA story:

In 2019, I was a sophomore taking physiology class for my nursing school. In that course, I had to conduct a research project throughout the semester. At the end of the semester I had to submit a paper that was about 10 pgs long. My professor found 1 sentence that was word to word identical to my source. He reported this to Academic dishonesty (AD) department and I got 0 on the assignment. I received an official letter from AD department and had to watch a plagiarism education video.

Despite getting 0 on that assignment, I got an A on that course and was dean's listed/good standing in that semester. Since then, I have never gotten in trouble for plagiarism.

I think this falls under IA, but I do not know if it is recorded as I cannot find anything on my transcript. I am going to check with school to see if there is a record of this. Regardless, I am going to report this when I apply to medical school.

Am I doomed guys? I am really heartbroken as I was so excited about this whole journey. I feel like all my efforts are going in vain because of this one mistake.
Many schools destroy records when you graduate. If your school does this, i wouldn't report it

Many schools destroy records when you graduate. If your school does this, i wouldn't report it
Then you would be deliberately dishonest which would be worse than the original "academic dishonesty" which was trivial. It would be like burning down the house to cover up the fact that you scorched a pan on the stove.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
My school has rejected people because they were outed by LOR writers who worte something like "AlbinoHawk as grown so much as a person since the cheating incident", and they hadn't checked the IA box.

Then you would be deliberately dishonest which would be worse than the original "academic dishonesty" which was trivial. It would be like burning down the house to cover up the fact that you scorched a pan on the stove.
I don't think it's dishonest. If the school destroys the records, it is a de-facto expungement of record. The fact that schools believe you need to confess to everything as if it is the priesthood is quite annoying

I don't think it's dishonest. If the school destroys the records, it is a de-facto expungement of record. The fact that schools believe you need to confess to everything as if it is the priesthood is quite annoying
It is not the "schools", it is the AMCAS application. One signs that the application is true and complete. The AMCAS application requires reporting of all AIs even if expunged or not recorded on the transcript. It is very clear. To cheat is one thing but to cheat on the application takes it to a whole new level. I would admit someone who did what the OP did, but I would never admit anyone who was discovered to have lied on the application. The fact that you spout this nonsense makes me very angry and very sad.

• Love
Can I PM you to ask questions?

Also wanted to share I have an IA similar to yours and in the same year. I still got in, feel free to PM me too if you need anything. Also mine was comparatively worse than yours so I wouldn't sweat it too much, but I would highly recommend you get one of your LoR writers to address the IA in some way. Their words will speak louder than yours

It is not the "schools", it is the AMCAS application. One signs that the application is true and complete. The AMCAS application requires reporting of all AIs even if expunged or not recorded on the transcript. It is very clear. To cheat is one thing but to cheat on the application takes it to a whole new level. I would admit someone who did what the OP did, but I would never admit anyone who was discovered to have lied on the application. The fact that you spout this nonsense makes me very angry and very sad.
And it makes me upset when the system is designed against redemption. If the school punishes you, you want to consider it, but if the school deems you rehabilitated, then that rehabilitation doesn't matter to you. It's a punish and judge mentality instead of the type that gives true second chances to people. This person shouldn't have to relive their humiliation and beg people that weren't involved in it. OP will have to decide what he wants to do. Personally, if the record is truly destroyed, I wouldn't disclose it because it's not your business just because you say it is

• Wow
And it makes me upset when the system is designed against redemption. If the school punishes you, you want to consider it, but if the school deems you rehabilitated, then that rehabilitation doesn't matter to you. It's a punish and judge mentality instead of the type that gives true second chances to people. This person shouldn't have to relive their humiliation and beg people that weren't involved in it. OP will have to decide what he wants to do. Personally, if the record is truly destroyed, I wouldn't disclose it because it's not your business just because you say it is
IT's not about redemption; there are plenty of us that believe in it. It's about being honest.

I already said, I would recommend that the IA described by the OP not be considered in the admission decision -- no begging, no "punishment", just a judgement that this was a small mistake, most likely not even a deliberate attempt to cheat.

But, to be told it must be reported and to deliberately lie and fail to report it is something that I would come down hard on and I don't appear to be alone in that opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Leadership:

Shadow:

Teaching experience

Research:

Here is my IA story:

Edit: Thanks for all of your input! I initially thought I was doomed, but I now I see hope! I checked with the school and there is a record of a plagiarism incident. For those of you who suggested me not reporting if there isn't a record of it, I understand where you are coming from, but, as I said, I want to be transparent about it and own my mistake. But I still appreciate the input! I hope I can see everyone on the other side as an M1! Wish me luck.
?? So report it

IT's not about redemption; there are plenty of us that believe in it. It's about being honest.
See, I disagree with you here. The moment that you request this information, you are saying you get to judge them regardless if the school that condemned them believes that the record should be destroyed. Lets change the scenario to one more egregious. Lets say the student deliberately stole the paper from someone else and tried to pass it off as their own. Likely this is an offense a medical school wouldn't admit a student for. Now imagine this same student's university destroys this record because in their eyes it is forgiven. You are still requesting this information and you reserve yourself the right to not admit them due to it. Therefore, you don't believe in redemption. You request they beg for your forgiveness even though you had nothing to do with it. You cloak it under the lie of "be honest."

I already said, I would recommend that the IA descripted by the OP not be considered in the admission decision -- no begging, no "punishment", just a judgement that this was a small mistake, most likely not even a deliberate attempt to cheat.

But, to be told it must be reported and to deliberately lie and fail to report it is something that I would come down hard on and I don't appear to be alone in that opinion.
I know you're not alone, but you should be. The fact that you get to ask these questions should be barred. An unjust law is no law at all, so you invite yourself to people being "dishonest" to you. As the post to Goro says, if this were a bigger deal and the school has forgiven it, you would still not accept them, so it is to beg and to punish if the scenario was slightly different. I'm arguing against the principle and the intent, while you are focusing on the scenario because it plays to your benefit

"You were forgiven by those that you wronged? Well, I'll be the judge of that"

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Wow
Whether I should report it or not was never a question. I wanted to ask what my chance of acceptance would be if I report it.
Your chances would be very good. Fortunately, we have someone who did something similar and came back to say that they were admitted to more than one school. That is good news for your chances, too.

See, I disagree with you here. The moment that you request this information, you are saying you get to judge them regardless if the school that condemned them believes that the record should be destroyed. Lets change the scenario to one more egregious. Lets say the student deliberately stole the paper from someone else and tried to pass it off as their own. Likely this is an offense a medical school wouldn't admit a student for. Now imagine this same student's university destroys this record because in their eyes it is forgiven. You are still requesting this information and you reserve yourself the right to not admit them due to it. Therefore, you don't believe in redemption. You request they beg for your forgiveness even though you had nothing to do with it. You cloak it under the lie of "be honest."

I know you're not alone, but you should be. The fact that you get to ask these questions should be barred. An unjust law is no law at all, so you invite yourself to people being "dishonest" to you. As the post to Goro says, if this were a bigger deal and the school has forgiven it, you would still not accept them, so it is to beg and to punish if the scenario was slightly different. I'm arguing against the principle and the intent, while you are focusing on the scenario because it plays to your benefit

"You were forgiven by those that you wronged? Well, I'll be the judge of that"
So you are saying that applicant to medical school should be permitted to withhold information if they attended a school that destroys records after a specific number of years (or after graduation) whereas a student attending a school that does not destroy records would be required to report the IA. I don't see any justice there.

Most IAs aren't deal breakers. The ones that are are those where we'd say, "we would not want someone in our school that did that!" And always, the student tells their story, in their words, and we determine if that person should be permitted to become a member of our academic community.

So you are saying that applicant to medical school should be permitted to withhold information if they attended a school that destroys records after a specific number of years (or after graduation) whereas a student attending a school that does not destroy records would be required to report the IA. I don't see any justice there.

Most IAs aren't deal breakers. The ones that are are those where we'd say, "we would not want someone in our school that did that!" And always, the student tells their story, in their words, and we determine if that person should be permitted to become a member of our academic community.
Yes, I'm saying exactly that. If a school decides they forgive transgressions, that should be honored. If the school doesn't, that sucks, but they signed up for that school. On the other hand, you get to say you will 100% of the time judge transgressions, and any forgiveness is at your discretion. It's funny that you want things to only sway to your benefit and not that of the student

You can say that all transgressions are relative, but we both know there are IAs that simply will not be forgiven. It doesn't matter if they were forgiven. Again, the student needs to beg you who weren't involved in this in any way. I don't blame you. You work on behalf of the institution and its benefit. I advocate on behalf of the student. Imagine this scenario was about criminal records. You'd say it's fine if the state forgives, but you as the company should continue to judge if you want because they are joining you. This thinking is why California banned the box and why you can't penalize anyone with an expunged record

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Status
Not open for further replies.