Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of the above is unlike the others.

Jefferson would have been about 67k a year in loans. UMass is going to be 37K with better loans and a lower cost of living in that area. I kind of detest the idea of living in Worcester, but my debt will be like 170k vs almost 300k. It's a gigantic difference.

Yeah...you dont wanna be in that much debt. 170k is totally reasonable tho. Go to UMass and hang out with people that can actually pronounce Worcester right!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think I'm a bit late to this, but just receiving my financial aid award letter ... is anyone else scared of the mountain of debt? To be going from zero debt in undergrad to $200,000+ in debt for medical school ... :eek: :hungover:
Likewise. It's OK though - money is just that, money. We're about to do something that transcends all that material stuff. Easy does it.

Ah Temple, you're expensive.

Reactions: 2 users
One of the above is unlike the others.

Jefferson would have been about 67k a year in loans. UMass is going to be 37K with better loans and a lower cost of living in that area. I kind of detest the idea of living in Worcester, but my debt will be like 170k vs almost 300k. It's a gigantic difference.
UMass obviously!

Since we're on the topic of FinAid, I'd like to comment on how weird I found the aid package I got from Baylor (which incidentally I received via email literally 20 minutes after sending my withdrawal email lol). Baylor prides itself on being "such a good value," yet for my package, as an OOS applicant, Baylor calculated an EFC of 0 (NU and WashU both calculated non-zero, substantial EFC's), yet their offer was $9k/yr in need-based scholarships and $57k/yr in loans. Just the principal on those would put me at $228k debt at graduation, over twice Baylor's average graduate indebtedness. Clearly, Baylor is only a good value in you're a Texas resident (and before you say buy a condo to establish residency, how does Baylor expect a student with an EFC of 0 to afford a condo?).

In contrast, WashU calculated a more-reasonable-than-NU EFC (which in reality my parents can probably meet about half of) but gave me a ton of need-based scholarships and a great loan package. Thanks WashU! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm legitimately sad about the prospect of not being able to go to school in philadelphia. The cost differential means that I'd be able to fly home every so often without a care in the world.

I just checked, and it's actually just about a 4 hr drive. That's not bad at all and is even doable for going one day and coming back the next. Huh.

Reactions: 1 user
@tenniseagle92 huge congrats on your decision! That must have been a stressful (but amazing) choice to make. Now you can finally relax with those concrete plans and enjoy the summer. :) You guys have been such amazing sources of support and motivation; I can't wait to see where the next 4 years takes you all!

UMass obviously!

Since we're on the topic of FinAid, I'd like to comment on how weird I found the aid package I got from Baylor (which incidentally I received via email literally 20 minutes after sending my withdrawal email lol). Baylor prides itself on being "such a good value," yet for my package, as an OOS applicant, Baylor calculated an EFC of 0 (NU and WashU both calculated non-zero, substantial EFC's), yet their offer was $9k/yr in need-based scholarships and $57k/yr in loans. Just the principal on those would put me at $228k debt at graduation, over twice Baylor's average graduate indebtedness. Clearly, Baylor is only a good value in you're a Texas resident (and before you say buy a condo to establish residency, how does Baylor expect a student with an EFC of 0 to afford a condo?).

In contrast, WashU calculated a more-reasonable-than-NU EFC (which in reality my parents can probably meet about half of) but gave me a ton of need-based scholarships and a great loan package. Thanks WashU! :)

+1

Second this so much. I found aid to be wildly unpredictable... I'm not sure if schools weigh particular financial aspects differently? UCSF, my state school, claimed I had an EFC of $0 and yet gave me 45k in loans and 8k in need-based scholarship. My other state school – UCSD – gave me $40k in unsub loans and nothin' else.

My EFC at JHU was non-zero, but it's actually an EFC my family and I will be able to meet... and my need-based scholarship covers a generous chunk of my COA. :shrug: I feel wildly lucky to have gotten an awesome package at my favourite school, but it's kind of weird to think that one acceptance can mean the difference from being <60K in debt vs. >200K. Funny enough, I met people at JHU's second look who got horrid packages and were heading to UCSF instead. I'm never going to figure the finaid riddle out.

I think I i just gave this girl I know from work a heart attack when I told her she should apply to like 20 schools when she said she was planning on doing 16.

She has a 30 and a 3.7 and hadn't looked at MSAR.

Also, she said that pre med advisor told her that schools can see how many places you apply to. Is it just me or is that total bs?

I think I i just gave this girl I know from work a heart attack when I told her she should apply to like 20 schools when she said she was planning on doing 16.

Also, she said that pre med advisor told her that schools can see how many places you apply to. Is it just me or is that total bs?
You're right. They can't see.

I mean 16 isn't bad if she applies strategically
But I applied to 25 sooo...

It is terrifying. Mine is not quite over 200k but pretty close to that number. I do think it will be worth it, though. :)
Oh, it'll definitely be worth it! Cornell is like a dream to me :) :)
Btw, I will be going to Cornell too. Congrats on your recent acceptance!
See you in August (!) :eek: :D

There needs to be a post-pre-medical forum/pre-medical student forum for allo, because I don't know where I belong anymore...

There needs to be a post-pre-medical forum/pre-medical student forum for allo, because I don't know where I belong anymore...
but its only for like 2 months...
maybe there should be an MS1 forum for all us people transitioning.

Does anyone have an idea how EFC is calculated? Higher EFC means you are less likely to get aid right?

but its only for like 2 months...
maybe there should be an MS1 forum for all us people transitioning.

A yearly thread might do the trick :) Though the downside of a dedicated thread would be that it'd be harder to get non-entering student input if we had questions since few other people would visit, hahah.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can check a box on AMCAS to allow your premed advisor at your undergrad to see info about your app, no idea what info specifically.

A yearly thread might do the trick :) Though the downside of a dedicated thread would be that it'd be harder to get non-entering student input if we had questions since few other people would visit, hahah.
Good idea! You should make a thread! :)

Nonsense on the new thread category. WE ARE ACCEPTED! We are class of 2019. We can start a 2019 in allo med students and no one will bat an eye! No doubt now. We are part of the club. We made it through the first part and now we are medical students.

Nonsense on the new thread category. WE ARE ACCEPTED! We are class of 2019. We can start a 2019 in allo med students and no one will bat an eye! No doubt now. We are part of the club. We made it through the first part and now we are medical students.
True! Okay someone should invade allo and start it hehe!

FWIW,the people in the 2017 and 2018 classes have continued to post in their respective pre-allo threads.

OMG WHY IS EVERYONE GETTING ENGAGEDDDDDD
IS ANYONE ELSE NOTICING THIS TREND

Reactions: 11 users
Can the mod just move us to allopathic so we don't have to lose all this memory? @Ismet?

I'm 3 years out of undergrad, the proposals started a few years ago, then the weddings, and now I feel like everything is ALL BABIES!

Reactions: 4 users
Half the kids I played bball with in high school have kids now, some have 2. I would say roughly 70% of the students from my high school graduating class (roughly 500) are one or more of these- married, engaged, parents, pregnant. This is based on what I see on social media. Meanwhile, it is an accomplishment when I keep my room clean for more than 3 days in a row:D

Reactions: 7 users

Woah you got in! Congrats! I missed it! Where will you be going?

Can the mod just move us to allopathic so we don't have to lose all this memory? @Ismet?

Traditionally class threads stay in pre-allo. It'll still be here, you won't lose your memories. :p Plus it gives you a reason to come back and give back to pre-meds with sage advice :)

Reactions: 8 users
I've noticed it since graduating high school. Gotta get with the times lololol. Being from the south, I know it's not that uncommon. Typically, the people getting engaged and married super early are the ones who couldn't hack it in college and barely made it thru high school. Also, lack of ambition typically leads to getting married early and settling down earlier.

I've noticed it since graduating high school. Gotta get with the times lololol. Being from the south, I know it's not that uncommon. Typically, the people getting engaged and married super early are the ones who couldn't hack it in college and barely made it thru high school. Also, lack of ambition typically leads to getting married early and settling down earlier.
Sigh. People who choose not to attend college frequently do marry earlier. This is because they get an earlier start on "real life", and because many of the cultures which don't heavily value college education strongly emphasize marriage and family. They take pride in having a spouse and family much the same way you value your prestigious college diploma. Having come from a blue-collar area and being one of four doctoral-level students from my high school class, I consider your post quite ignorant. There are many forms of ambition which don't prioritize education over family, and I would consider many of my early-marriage friends to be extremely intelligent.

Reactions: 9 users

I had a lot of friends who promised that they wouldn't get engaged until they graduated college... so there were like three or four proposals that happened during graduation parties. As is, I missed a wedding due to second look.

Annnnd funny enough, I'm working with a friend's SO right now to plan her "surprise" birthday/proposal party. -___-

Eh, I disagree. I saw lots of people in HS get married early due to cultural pressure, but plenty still excelled academically. There's also plenty of folks who are just all-round hyper-achievers when it comes to career, relationships, etc. (aka: not Hella Nutella). Sometimes you are lucky enough meet someone early on in your life who is a perfect match. I also have friends whose main ambition in life was to get married and start a family. I don't consider it a "lesser" aspiration. Hell, the very thought of having a kid scares the wits out of me. Raising miniature humans is a daunting, exhausting, challenging role.

And then I have friends whose main goal was to marry rich and become fashion/travel bloggers... and I must admit I am just that little bit envious of their monthly escapades to tropical islands.

Reactions: 3 users
A lot of the people from my high school have been engaged, married, had babies, divorced and repeat since there is a large military population. It's interesting to know that one person has been married twice and had children from each marriage... and is not even 23. Kinda freaks me out a bit!

(Edit: Nothing wrong with this, just not my cup of tea. Marriage and babies seem to be a bit daunting.)

Last edited:
Sigh. People who choose not to attend college frequently do marry earlier. This is because they get an earlier start on "real life", and because many of the cultures which don't heavily value college education strongly emphasize marriage and family. They take pride in having a spouse and family much the same way you value your prestigious college diploma. Having come from a blue-collar area and being one of four doctoral-level students from my high school class, I consider your post quite ignorant. There are many forms of ambition which don't prioritize education over family, and I would consider many of my early-marriage friends to be extremely intelligent.
Um, I come from an area where it's expected that you still go to college after high school - the ones that don't go or flunk out didn't do so because of an "ambition" to marry early or start a family. All of my high school friends would agree that for most of the people from our town who married early and had babies by age 20, it was because they couldn't hack it in college. It's that simple. And don't try to assume that you know the area that I'm from better than I do; I find your assumption ignorant, if we're gonna throw that word around.

EDIT: Those who get married and have babies at age 22 or shortly thereafter, aka after finishing college, are not looked down upon where I'm from. Only the ones who didn't start or finish college for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Also, I accidently found my man when we were still in high school. Been in love for 13 years and married for 5. The reason we didn't marry earlier was just a choice. Love doesn't follow a schedule and choices should only matter for those who are effected. But yes there are some times flurries of decisions are made. Usually when people spend time reflecting (after they graduate or get accepted or get that first job, etc).

Edit made because my phone hates me!

Last edited:
What's that I hear? Ace is being privileged and oblivious again?

Reactions: 11 users
Hmm...

Anyways, hope everyone is having a great weekend. I love coming to this thread the most!

Reactions: 5 users
What's that I hear? Ace is being privileged and oblivious again?
If by "privileged," you mean "having the mindset of nearly everyone in my town that I grew up with," then yes, you'd be correct. Also, the ignore button works wonders for all the haters.

If by "privileged," you mean "having the mindset of nearly everyone in my town that I grew up with," then yes, you'd be correct. Also, the ignore button works wonders for all the haters.
Lol yes because your town represents the thought processes of the entire nation. LORDTTTTT. Someone DELIVERTTT HIMMM.

Hi guys and gals! I have a question regarding outside scholarships. Has anyone applied for them? Do you know if your school gives you a scholarship, are you still eligible to apply for and receive others??

Um, I come from an area where it's expected that you still go to college after high school - the ones that don't go or flunk out didn't do so because of an "ambition" to marry early or start a family. All of my high school friends would agree that for most of the people from our town who married early and had babies by age 20, it was because they couldn't hack it in college. It's that simple. And don't try to assume that you know the area that I'm from better than I do; I find your assumption ignorant, if we're gonna throw that word around.

EDIT: Those who get married and have babies at age 22 or shortly thereafter, aka after finishing college, are not looked down upon where I'm from. Only the ones who didn't start or finish college for whatever reason.

I come from a very similar academic town — we sent 7 people to MIT and 8 to Harvard in my class, and senior year was a toxic, drama-filled time of "so-and-so only got in because her dad is on the admission's committee" and "so-and-so only got in because he said he was half-black when he's the whitest guy you know". Even so, not everyone in my has the same goals and ambitions in life, and that's fine. For example, the son of a very, very intelligent and influential man decided to take a gap year to work on promoting his band before applying to college. I don't think anyone in my class was pregnant or got married right after high school, but I also think it's important to acknowledge that some people don't care about "hacking it in college". One thing I've learned given the perspective that I have now is that there's definitely more to life than attending the most prestigious college possible (or, for others, even going to college).

Sidenote: I will probably be engaged/married right after college because I've been in a relationship for 2+ years and don't see it ending any other way. For a lot of people, 22/23 years is way too early to do so — many people have arbitrary limits of 25 or 27 to "be able" to make the decision. But at some point, your relationship status is just a label, and some people just know early on. It's also very possible that the people you know who have gotten married out of high school made a mistake, as often occurs when you think you're in love. And you know what? That's fine. Everyone has moments that they're not proud of, but they're still young and have the rest of their life to reach their goals (which may not overlap with yours).

Reactions: 4 users
I come from a very similar academic town — we sent 7 people to MIT and 8 to Harvard in my class, and senior year was a toxic, drama-filled time of "so-and-so only got in because her dad is on the admission's committee" and "so-and-so only got in because he said he was half-black when he's the whitest guy you know". Even so, not everyone in my has the same goals and ambitions in life, and that's fine. For example, the son of a very, very intelligent and influential man decided to take a gap year to work on promoting his band before applying to college. I don't think anyone in my class was pregnant or got married right after high school, but I also think it's important to acknowledge that some people don't care about "hacking it in college". One thing I've learned given the perspective that I have now is that there's definitely more to life than attending the most prestigious college possible (or, for others, even going to college).

Sidenote: I will probably be engaged/married right after college because I've been in a relationship for 2+ years and don't see it ending any other way. For a lot of people, 22/23 years is way too early to do so — many people have arbitrary limits of 25 or 27 to "be able" to make the decision. But at some point, your relationship status is just a label, and some people just know early on. It's also very possible that the people you know who have gotten married out of high school made a mistake, as often occurs when you think you're in love. And you know what? That's fine. Everyone has moments that they're not proud of, but they're still young and have the rest of their life to reach their goals (which may not overlap with yours).
I wouldn't necessarily call my town "academic." People had varying levels of ambition, but everyone knew that if you went to college but didn't finish for whatever reason, you would not be looked upon favorably if/when you came back to town. As for the "making a mistake" part, yes, lots of times those early relationships were mistakes to begin with. Transferring to a lower ranked, less fit college to follow your boyfriend (now ex-bf) was a mistake one of my closest friends made. We all still love her, but we don't forget how impulsive that choice was, especially given that she transferred after they had broken up and gotten back together again twice before.

@italiancowgirl CONGRATS!!!!!! I love Oregon :) :) Withdrawing from OHSU was hard, since I've spent so much time on campus and know so many people there. And that new building is gorgeous, as is the Center For Health and Healing, and gah the view from the tram!!! But it's best for me to experience something new, I think.... But Portland, Oregon, and OHSU will always have a place in my heart! In fact, I put an oregon heart sticker on my car today, and a PDX carpet keychain on my keys too.

Have a great wonderful time at OHSU! Give it my love!!

Reactions: 5 users
@italiancowgirl CONGRATS!!!!!! I love Oregon :) :) Withdrawing from OHSU was hard, since I've spent so much time on campus and know so many people there. And that new building is gorgeous, as is the Center For Health and Healing, and gah the view from the tram!!! But it's best for me to experience something new, I think.... But Portland, Oregon, and OHSU will always have a place in my heart! In fact, I put an oregon heart sticker on my car today, and a PDX carpet keychain on my keys too.

Have a great wonderful time at OHSU! Give it my love!!
Oh sunflower I will! I am over the moon happy. My hubby and I have been out of the state for too long. We just moved back and I am so glad to start my journey to be a physician at ohsu (which is where I started to understand how I felt about medicine as a patient many years ago!) I truly feel that this is the best program for me, and I hope we can meet someday as colleagues! Enjoy your adventures in LA!

Hi guys and gals! I have a question regarding outside scholarships. Has anyone applied for them? Do you know if your school gives you a scholarship, are you still eligible to apply for and receive others??

Back to this question!!

I applied to an outside scholarship and received a significant one. The school just gave me less loans and let me keep the institutional scholarship. Might be school-dependent though! Just keep applying :)

I don't doubt that your friends would agree with you on that matter; I expect they are accustomed to the same culture you are. Recognize, though, that the values and attitudes of your high school don't represent those of the nation as a whole. There are many reasons one might marry early, with or without the choice to forego college. Consider that early marriage is a tool for safety and social stability for many women of low S-E status. Your accusation that people who marry early generally can't "hack it" in college may be true of some of your acquaintances, but as a blanket statement, is severely myopic.
I believe you. But why perpetuate this attitude?

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone have so much scholarship money that they don't know what to do with themselves? If so, please donate to the "miamiheatfan needs some money too" cause LOL:D But if you all have links where I can apply to try to receive outside scholarships, please help a Miami Heat fan out! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Back to this question!!

I applied to an outside scholarship and received a significant one. The school just gave me less loans and let me keep the institutional scholarship. Might be school-dependent though! Just keep applying :)
Perfect! I appreciate your response! :)

Does anyone have so much scholarship money that they don't know what to do with themselves? If so, please donate to the "miamiheatfan needs some money too" cause LOL:D But if you all have links where I can apply to try to receive outside scholarships, please help a Miami Heat fan out! :)

I've been using UVA's outside scholarship page... And lots of google searches because fast web is ridiculous!

But if you search Med School X Outside scholarships, you can usually find good links!