Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah we have a 3-day gap (5 including the weekend). It used to be a full week until they added fall break.

Also, my genetics final was a total fail womp womp. But gotta buckle down for physiology now since I know I can pull a good grade in that one.

I hear ya man. I hated genetics when I took it last year

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a gap between the last day of instruction and finals week?
At my school, finals begin as soon as the day after last day of instruction (Saturday after the last Friday of class) but...we don't have finals on Sunday hahah.

I know you weren't asking me, but we get two days of study time. Most of the time, those two days are a Saturday and Sunday haha. So it's just like... classes end on Friday, finals start on Monday. Better than having zero days like you guys! But I'm on the semester system, which typically give more study time than my school gives. Oh well.

6 more months until application time guys....

Members don't see this ad :)
SO CRAZY SO EXCITING OH MAAAAN

I can't wait. I'm also terrified.

Lol I know... it's like really starting to hit me. I've never left my state for school before, only different cities. So for me the thought of going away for med school is super exciting. The waiting game for interviews is going to kill me though. Now that school is officially over and I'm on break its time to hammer out those essays!

*whispers*18 months*whispers*
lol wait what?

I know you weren't asking me, but we get two days of study time. Most of the time, those two days are a Saturday and Sunday haha. So it's just like... classes end on Friday, finals start on Monday. Better than having zero days like you guys! But I'm on the semester system, which typically give more study time than my school gives. Oh well.

Ohh our system is like that, only a couple departments give finals on the Saturday right after (evil! math and languages) since they aren't satisfied with the 2 hours allotted for final exams so they have 3 hours instead on the weekend. But sometimes the exam schedule ends up giving you a big gap--I had all my finals on Thursday, which gave me 3 extra days to procrastinate hooray!

Lol I know... it's like really starting to hit me. I've never left my state for school before, only different cities. So for me the thought of going away for med school is super exciting. The waiting game for interviews is going to kill me though. Now that school is officially over and I'm on break its time to hammer out those essays!

Same here! I've been in the same state (same 20 miles wow) for my whole life hahah. I was super excited to write my personal statement last week, but now looking at it again I want to throw half of it out D:

I hear ya man. I hated genetics when I took it last year

Oh man I'm sorry you had a bad experience with genetics. It's been one of my favorite classes, especially the parts on transgenics and mechanisms of cancer :oops:

lol wait what?

I was just joking about the fact that most of us are taking a gap year I think.

And speaking of genetics I got my final back (that was fast) and I somehow didn't bomb it after all! And I think physiology went okay today. The most important thing is that I'm doneeeeee. This semester was rough. Here's to sleeping 10+ hours and watching Netflix and playing video games every day for the next three weeks.

And speaking of genetics I got my final back (that was fast) and I somehow didn't bomb it after all! And I think physiology went okay today. The most important thing is that I'm doneeeeee. This semester was rough. Here's to sleeping 10+ hours and watching Netflix and playing video games every day for the next three weeks.

I think there are at least a few people applying soon!

Definitely agree. Done is awesome. Except I work all break.... But still. I can get more sleep than before!!!

Ahhh yay congrats guys!

I've been going through some of this cycle's application threads to get an idea of secondaries and stuff. Also started taking a closer look at some med schools to see their specific requirements. :( Haha looks like it's gonna be a long year. I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing some huge requirement of my application, like... bio I or something :p

For those of you applying, can you believe Jefferson wants a LOR from Bio, Physics, Chem, AND humanities profs? Haha I'm surprised they specified letters from all three sciences. It's not a huge deal for me but I'm guessing it's a pain for those who have been out of school for a few years.

Ahhh yay congrats guys!

I've been going through some of this cycle's application threads to get an idea of secondaries and stuff. Also started taking a closer look at some med schools to see their specific requirements. :( Haha looks like it's gonna be a long year. I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing some huge requirement of my application, like... bio I or something :p

For those of you applying, can you believe Jefferson wants a LOR from Bio, Physics, Chem, AND humanities profs? Haha I'm surprised they specified letters from all three sciences. It's not a huge deal for me but I'm guessing it's a pain for those who have been out of school for a few years.

Oh crap, seriously?? Ugh I better start looking at requirements. I think a LOR from my physics professor would be pretty weak..... Yikes. If I did get one from him just for Jeff, I don't think I'd want it to go to every single school. That is really annoying. I wonder why they have such a specific requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)

lol oh okay. Congrats on your genetics exam! Enjoy the games and sleep.

Ahhh yay congrats guys!

Are you kidding me? My bio professors don't even teach my school anymore lol

Oh well I had too many schools on my list anyways... goodbye Jefferson:hello:

Oh crap, seriously?? Ugh I better start looking at requirements. I think a LOR from my physics professor would be pretty weak..... Yikes. If I did get one from him just for Jeff, I don't think I'd want it to go to every single school. That is really annoying. I wonder why they have such a specific requirement.
I'm totally new to this but I think Interfolio lets you pick and choose which schools get which documents.

lol oh okay. Congrats on your genetics exam! Enjoy the games and sleep.

Are you kidding me? My bio professors don't even teach my school anymore lol
Wait, only if you don't have a pre-med committee. Sorry, should have specified before scaring the **** out of you guys.

According to their site: " If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by individual faculty members (one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Humanities, if possible)"

Last edited:
I'm totally new to this but I think Interfolio lets you pick and choose which schools get which documents.

Wait, only if you don't have a pre-med committee, which my school doesn't have! Sorry, should have specified before scaring the **** out of you guys.

According to their site: " If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by individual faculty members (one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Humanities, if possible)"
darn it, that was the most progress I had cutting down my list in awhile lol. Great..welcome back Jefferson:bang:

Wait, only if you don't have a pre-med committee, which my school doesn't have! Sorry, should have specified before scaring the **** out of you guys.

I don't have a committee either. Maybe they won't care, since they said "if possible". My physics professor left my school after I took his class (and is no longer a professor at all), so I don't have contact information for him anymore. My biology professor just had a family tragedy, so I don't think now is a great time to ask for a letter. Soooo... I am considering myself an exception to their recommendations! And I'll apply anyway! TAKE THAT JEFF.

Guys, really stupid question... does shadowing count as clinical volunteering? Doesn't seem like volunteering to me at all, but it would be such a shame to put so many shadowing hours under "Other" :(

I made the dumb assumption that community service/volunteer isn't subdivided into clinical and non-clinical. Now I have quite a few activities under non-clinical and not so many under clinical (unless shadowing counts)

Guys, really stupid question... does shadowing count as clinical volunteering? Doesn't seem like volunteering to me at all, but it would be such a shame to put so many shadowing hours under "Other" :(

I made the dumb assumption that community service/volunteer isn't subdivided into clinical and non-clinical. Now I have quite a few activities under non-clinical and not so many under clinical (unless shadowing counts)
Generally, anything where you are around patients is a clinical experience. However, were you doing anything other than standing there watching the doc work? If not, I wouldn't say you were volunteering exactly.

Generally, anything where you are around patients is a clinical experience. However, were you doing anything other than standing there watching the doc work? If not, I wouldn't say you were volunteering exactly.
To be honest, not really. If there was anything, it was just the receptionist asking for a hand if she was a bit overwhelmed, so I would make photocopies or send a few faxes out. "Other" it is, then.

To be honest, not really. If there was anything, it was just the receptionist asking for a hand if she was a bit overwhelmed, so I would make photocopies or send a few faxes out. "Other" it is, then.
photocopying and faxing when you are there to shadow? I'd say that's volunteering ;) but i'm just being bad lol

You can knock out two stones with one doing some hospital volunteering. If you have the time see if you can set something up or check other places with patients

I think a "shadowing" category was actually added to the work & activities section this past cycle. I could be wrong though!

I have more than 15 activities so I'm trying to figure out what to combine and what to leave off if I can't combine things to make it all fit... I feel like every single one of these things has contributed to my interest in medicine and/or to me as a person. There is also a really big event from my senior year of high school that I want to talk about, but definitely can't put it in my work & activities section since I don't even have enough space for college activities. So I'm trying to decide if it's appropriate to discuss in my PS... It's really really crucial to how I got from point A (my younger self) to point B (medical aspirations), but it's not recent and takes a bit of explaining. WHY IS THIS SO HARD?

Do you have a gap between the last day of instruction and finals week?
At my school, finals begin as soon as the day after last day of instruction (Saturday after the last Friday of class) but...we don't have finals on Sunday hahah.

We get a week. Still not enough time :(

We get a week. Still not enough time :(

Uh... quarter system students (like me) get no break and condense all material fast in 10 weeks. So, you're living the life of luxury. Now go make yourself useful and post drawing gifs for all of us.

Uh... quarter system students (like me) get no break and condense all material fast in 10 weeks. So, you're living the life of luxury. Now go make yourself useful and post drawing gifs for all of us.

Last final is tomorrow. Ugh. Don't wanna take it.

Oh, THAT class? lol, you're fine. Your prof planned on curving the class final grades by at least 25%.

Unfortunately only 90% of us are getting As. Freaking ridiculous. This professor needs to go.

oooooohhh myyyy gooooooooshhhh i made like the lowest possible a- in my genetics class. oh my gosh. i am so stoked. i was really worried i'd get a b+. i mean i'd have loved an a, but i knew that was impossible after my health issues interfered. woohoo!!! it's not officially official yet, but i've calculated the points. YAY I'M STOKED.

oooooohhh myyyy gooooooooshhhh i made like the lowest possible a- in my genetics class. oh my gosh. i am so stoked. i was really worried i'd get a b+. i mean i'd have loved an a, but i knew that was impossible after my health issues interfered. woohoo!!! it's not officially official yet, but i've calculated the points. YAY I'M STOKED.
Good job!

Join the "UG Genetics is garbage group"

i'm in! i was really excited about my class before starting it, but i didn't like it at all. the content and format were just not what i was expecting, most of the labs were just busy work, and i was not a fan of the professor. oh well. hopefully i like med school genetics!

i'm in! i was really excited about my class before starting it, but i didn't like it at all. the content and format were just not what i was expecting, most of the labs were just busy work, and i was not a fan of the professor. oh well. hopefully i like med school genetics!

@bolded I really really hope so. My genetics class was utter garbage for the most part, although that project on two genetic diseases was actually fun though torture. But I felt I didn't learn anything from the class (except cool terms like haploinsufficiency) and the exams were ridiculously difficult with passage-based questions (think MCAT on steroids)... Luckily, I managed to squeeze in an A despite getting B's on exams.

@bolded I really really hope so. My genetics class was utter garbage for the most part, although that project on two genetic diseases was actually fun though torture. But I felt I didn't learn anything from the class (except cool terms like haploinsufficiency) and the exams were ridiculously difficult with passage-based questions (think MCAT on steroids)... Luckily, I managed to squeeze in an A despite getting B's on exams.

I didn't even learn that term! I feel jipped. Nice job on that A, though!!
The exams for my class seemed fairly straightforward, but he nitpicked the hell out of the answers despite not going over details in class. And to make matters worse, during my midterm, I had the worst migraine ever ever ever and I could hardly formulate a sentence. Crappy circumstances. Oh well! It's ooooveeeer. For a positive spin, that class helped me learn how to cope with my health issues and not let them get in the way of my performance. I'm glad I learned that lesson!

now that sounds like grade inflation :whistle:

Turds I was going to ask my public health capstone professor to write my non-science LOR, but my advisor says public health is not a non-science >:l

Also, is anyone studying for the MCAT over break? :)

Turds I was going to ask my public health capstone professor to write my non-science LOR, but my advisor says public health is not a non-science >:l

Lol :wtf: what is then?? Health science?

I'm studying for the MCAT during the break...

Public health does not fall under BCPM, so you're golden. https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/

Ohhh maaan. Good luck to you and @No Limits ! That's daunting. When are y'all taking it? And what are you aiming for?

Public health does not fall under BCPM, so you're golden. https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/

Ohhh maaan. Good luck to you and @No Limits ! That's daunting. When are y'all taking it? And what are you aiming for?

Oh sweet!! Yesss!!! Thanks for the link!

I'm taking it on May 17th... might submit my application before seeing my score :O Target score 36? I'd be happy with a 36 hahah. Have you taken it already?
Lol :wtf: what is then?? Health science?

I'm studying for the MCAT during the break...

The wtf face is the one I made too... I always think of public health as a social science.

I'd say a 34- 37 will make me happy. I'm taking it Jan :barf:

Crazy my school has it under health science.

Good luck!! :) Put a good MCAT score on your wishlist/letter to Santa loool.

Oh my school doesn't really organize its departments by category... the college of "Arts and Sciences" is pretty much everything, which doesn't tell you much. And then there's other colleges: Business and Environment and Public Health... don't know what happened there!

Good luck!! :) Put a good MCAT score on your wishlist/letter to Santa loool.

Oh my school doesn't really organize its departments by category... the college of "Arts and Sciences" is pretty much everything, which doesn't tell you much. And then there's other colleges: Business and Environment and Public Health... don't know what happened there!

Thanks you too lol

Speaking of Santa, I'm suppose to go with my gf to do some holiday shopping for some friends and family today. Since I'm on break I have no excuses to get out of it :help:

Speaking of Santa, I'm suppose to go with my gf to do some holiday shopping for some friends and family today. Since I'm on break I have no excuses to get out of it :help:

Hahahah sounds like a very long day.... holiday shopping is brutal. You could schedule yourself a practice exam :)