Class of 2020 Q & A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.phoot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finished the semester with all As. Looking forward to next semester for the most part. We'll have classes like lower extremity anatomy, biomechanics, physical medicine and rehabilitation, and our podiatry fundamentals course—which from what I gather is like our doctoring course and intro to basic podiatry concepts. Even if it ends up being more hours than this semester, it seems like it'll be a lot more interesting.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

- You ever get all A's (for the semester) in undergrad?

- How long is winter break @ Temple?

- Have they created the class ranks yet, or that comes after the year instead of the semester?

- Any regrets so far?

- Is it true that there's always someone that faints for the anatomy lab? (Did someone faint among your group)

- Any research papers / writing assignments, or that'll most likely show up who you take the doctoring courses? (I picture y'all just memorize plenty of info in a short time and take mostly multiple choice and fill-in-the-blanks)

- Are you expected to recall anything from this year later on in practice, board exams, etc.,? Or is this something you can afford to "let go" off now that exams are done?

- what was the white coat ceremony like? They call names, you get your coat, walk off and take pics? Family and friends allowed to come watch?

- Anything you learned from undergrad that helped you out? (I.e. maybe you took a course and it created a solid foundation for you.. or you has some basics that made learning the new stuff run smooth).

not just bob, everyone else please feel free to chime in and answer

Members don't see this ad.

Good stuff, bob! Please keep 'em coming and I'm calling on all other class of '20 folks to chip in as well. Just to get a sense of what the experiences are like at other schools and for different people.
----------
More questions:

- Give some details about the work, assignments. Are you given homework where you have to hand in and get graded for it? But you said you didn't have to write any papers so the entire semester was just keeping up with material and taking tests, quizzes, etc? You didn't have to do group presentations in any class?

- What's the textbook situation like? Is it mandatory that you buy text books, access codes for homeworks? Any trouble finding used copies, previous editions? Does the Temple library carry most of the required texts?

- Scrubs.... I'm sure that's what y'all wear for anatomy lab. Are they provided by the school or it's an expense you'll have to handle yourself?

- What's the lab structure like (in terms of the work)? In undergrad I think everyone is familiar with having to write some pre-lab report and then answer some pre-lab questions. Then you take a quiz to make sure you read the pre-lab. Afterwards you carry out your experiments, take down data, and you're expected to answer post-lab questions and hand in a written report. But what's anatomy lab like? I'm assuming it's not 1 cadaver per student so a group of y'all share a cadaver? You work on the same cadaver for the entire semester? It goes back in the fridge when class ends, and comes back out next time you're in lab? Any lab reports? And I assume the practical is just to be able to identify EVERY part of it?

- There's no liberty in class scheduling, right? Like all of the class of 2020 at Temple will all take the same classes at the same time, so it's not like you can do biochem this semester and this other student will be doing something else? In other words your classes are all picked for you. You don't go see some program adviser that tells you take this or that?

- You pointed out that some people have already been shown the door. Isn't there a chance for probation? What happens if you fail a course? Are you forced to wait for the next year's class and repeat the failed class? Say I have to take 3 classes. I passed 2 and failed 1. Can I go on to next year and take next year's required 3 classes in addition to repeating the 1 I failed? So 4 classes (3 new + 1 repeated/failed)

Prepods, feel free to ask anything of the class of 2020 in this thread instead of in the class of 2020 thread for podiatry students. We'll see it here and we'll respond.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is for Temple Podiatry only.

Tips for success:
Don't fall behind. Don't underestimate any class. Don't underestimate any quiz or exam. Don't compare yourself to your classmates. Don't compare yourself to bobtheweazel. Most importantly, try to enjoy yourself. Statistically, we'll virtually all make it through school and get a residency and be doctors. Don't drive yourself mental by trying to study for 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Get out every once in a while, see the sights, make friends, et cetera.

Undergrad performance:
For probably the last two years of my undergrad I got As in every single class. I took it very seriously. Before that my grades were maybe about average or slightly above average. From the point that I decided I wanted to be a doctor, I started taking things seriously and somehow pulled off a pretty crazy A streak. Temple specifically mentioned at my interview that it was impressive. One of my good friends here did even better though, he had like above a 3.9 GPA throughout undergrad, so in comparison what I did is really only like one of those "most improved" kind of achievements, lol.

Temple Winter break:
Our Winter break is only two weeks. We'll also get Spring break off and our 1st Summer off. I think the Summer thing is a big deal because as far as I'm aware most of the schools do not get any Summer off.

Temple class rank:
I believe ranking will be done at the end of the year. At this point we've only finished three courses and we've started a fourth that won't end until next semester. We'll also have like another five courses next semester. Also, I think one of the real reasons they rank us is not so much for us as it is for them to determine scholarship amounts for next year, so it will likely be at the end of the year as it would be no benefit to the school to spend time on that in the middle of the year AND at the end of the year.

Regrets:
No regrets yet. I like that Temple is willing to hear us out and make changes. They listen to the students and tweak the curriculum each year. They're also working on trying to get our 1st time board pass rates higher. Also, I made a big stink about our board pass rates at the beginning of the year and while the upperclassmen didn't appreciate it for whatever reason, the administration seems like it is listening to our concerns and taking it seriously.

Anatomy lab:
I'll tell you man, we were all excited about going into cadaver lab for probably weeks beforehand. But when the day came, I saw that "I hope I can handle this" look on a lot of faces, and I'm sure it showed on mine as well, lol. You kinda just walk in, unzip your bag, and the reality of it hits you so fast that you couldn't react if you wanted to. From then on it's just routine. Although there was once or twice throughout the semester that something would slide a bit or look weird in my periphery and I kinda got the heebie-jeebies, lol. But no, nobody fainted or vomited. Though a couple of people looked like they came close to vomiting near the end of the semester when we had to hemisect the cadavers, basically hacksawing vertically up through the pelvis (rectum, genitals, everything, yummm) and then horizontally at about L4 to cut above the ilium—we needed to remove the lower extremities for our lower extremity course this coming semester.

Research/writing assignments:
None yet, so happy. From what I can tell research here is pretty much all voluntary. Our gait lab always has active research going on but it seems like you would mostly be assisting with taking measurements or something along those lines rather than writing up the research paper. Not sure if or when we will have a proper writing assignment.

Recall of 1st semester information:
For the most part, if you didn't need it they wouldn't teach it to you. Altogether, the classes that we've completely finished so far (biochemistry, general anatomy, histology, embryology) will account for a little under 20% of the part 1 board exam. So for that, we will need it. Furthermore, the breakdown of the board exam is based on practice surveys of podiatrists. So for instance 7% of the exam is biochemistry and 25% of the board exam is lower extremity anatomy. So in practice lower extremity anatomy info has over three times the weight of biochemistry info, but biochemistry info will still need to be recalled a fair amount. Will we need ALL of the information being taught to us? Absolutely not, some of it is scientifically relevant but not medically relevant. But for example biochemistry includes the actions of glucagon and insulin and cortisol on metabolism—all important. In biochemistry you learn that cortisol increases blood sugar. Similarly, if you give someone a cortisone (very similar to cortisol) shot for pain, it will raise their blood sugar. That's important to know and is a basic biochemistry concept. In residency you'll do plenty of off service rotations so you've gotta know your general anatomy or you'll look like a fool. Et cetera.

Temple white coat ceremony:
Temple podiatry is kind of an outlier in that we don't do the white coat ceremony until end of second year, before clinicals begin. I'm not sure why this is the case since I believe even the Temple MDs do their white coat ceremonies at the beginning of their first year. I'll justify it by saying that we'll feel like we've really earned it at that point. We've already lost a few students within the first semester. By the usual tradition they would all have gotten their white coats, but would they have earned them? Obviously not. I think it actually makes more sense this way, but who am I to say. On the other hand my good pal CardsFan92 has their white coat on in their FB profile pic and I'm always a bit peanut butter and jealous when I see it.

Advantages from undergrad:
I had a job where I used a lot of musculoskeletal stuff on a daily basis and that has helped me to some extent in general anatomy. The people who exercise a lot and therefore know a decent deal about musculoskeletal anatomy and function have also had that slight headstart. But overall, I would say that no undergrad course or program could really prepare you for anything you'll get here. For instance, we have some biochem majors in our class and the biochemistry class here was over their heads. So did they have an advantage on some of the basic concepts? Sure. Same for my advantage on basic musculoskeletal concepts in general anatomy. But overall, we're all on a pretty level playing field and the largest factor beyond past experience or innate ability is simply how much work you put in.

Reactions: 5 users
This information is for Temple Podiatry only.

Work assignments:
Luckily no homework, because I notoriously don't do homework. So far it's all been quizzes and exams. Each week ranges from 0-3 quizzes or exams, so the time you have to prepare for each on varies a bit. We have a staggered schedule so that we rarely have two quizzes or exams on one day and our final exams are offset as well so we have time to study in between. We did have one group presentation in biochemistry, my group specifically presented on ethanol metabolism. But it was a gimme type situation and altogether each group member probably put in about 15 minutes of preparation and then our presentation was about 15 minutes or so. Those presentations were on topics we had already learned, it was really a type of review before the final. In histology lab we had one group presentation thing but that was actually prepared and presented all in one class period, so there wasn't any at home work to be done for it really. Occasionally we get worksheets for physiology that we can do at home and turn in the next week. Since physiology has a lot of equations these can be helpful. But they're entirely optional and count as extra credit on the following exam. So it's really been primarily quizzes and exams, with other assignments being very minimal.

Textbook situation:
The only textbook you're really advised to buy is a Netter. But even then there are "dirty Netters" supplied for use in lab, so I never even bought a Netter. 99% of what the professors want you to know will be in their lectures or other course material, so textbooks are largely unnecessary. I can tell you that people torrent most of the books, but rarely use any of them. The one exception would be histology. The histology professor will put things directly from the book onto a quiz or exam, but she'll always tell you which exact parts of which exact pages to look up at least. Also, I'm not sure what the Temple library carries. I'm sure they do have copies of our textbooks, but I only go in there to print things so I couldn't say with 100% certainty. I can say that even if they do have them, you probably won't use them. My friends who have tried to straight read through textbook chapters rather than focus on what was in the lectures usually suffer the consequences.

Scrubs:
Scrubs are required in lab and you need to get them yourself. The upperclassmen will sell you scrubs before the semester begins or you can buy them on your own. I had scrubs from my old job and those are what I use. Color or style doesn't matter. Though I haven't seen anyone with those pattern/print type female scrub tops.

Lab structure:
There are learning objectives and questions with each lab. You're encouraged to do them beforehand but it's not mandatory. As long as you do them at some point before the next quiz or exam you're good. There isn't like a lab assignment to be turned in on the day of the lab though or anything like that. As far as how the dissections work, there are something like 18 tables. Each table has 1 cadaver and 5-6 students. The students are split into A group and B group. So one day A group will be in lab and B group is off for free study, the next time it reverses. So there aren't more than 3 people for each cadaver per dissection. This also means that for general anatomy you only get to do half of the dissections—there are 24 dissections. At the beginning of the semester you might wanna do more but as the semester drags on and they start piling more courses on you become very thankful that you only have to do half the dissections because they can be very time consuming. Also, I should say that if group A does a dissection one day, then the next lab day begins with a cross-teach where group A discusses the lab with group B and goes over everything before group B does their lab for that day. So you don't do every dissection, but you do learn every dissection. I should also say that the MD students and OT students split their body's vertically, so the MDs I believe also only do half of their dissections, but also only get half of their body, whereas since we're on our own campus we get to do everything bilaterally. In lower extremity anatomy there are more lower limbs to go around since there were two per body plus the dental students don't do lower extremity so we get all of theirs as well. Body's don't get put in refrigeration each day, we just spray them down to keep them moist and zip up their body bags. And you're expected to find certain things but you don't have to. But really if you don't you're only letting your group and the other group that share's your cadaver down. Luckily, there is freedom in when you can get it done. If it's a long lab or you have something the next day to study for you can make your lab quick, only find like half the ****, then come back on the weekend to finish.

Class schedule:
So far we're all on the same schedule except for some labs like I described above. You will be automatically enrolled in the same courses as everyone else every semester.

Leniency:
The people who have left so far left of their own volition. They weren't kicked out. Temple is very lenient. If you fail a course you can do a re-exam which is basically a cumulative exam for the course. If you pass the re-exam you pass the course, though the failure will still be on your transcript as well. If you fail a course and fail a re-exam you can retake the course over the Summer at Drexel. If you fail too many courses in a year they'll make you repeat the year. Overall, they're pretty lenient, much more so than some podiatry schools. However, they've recently said they're gonna start cracking down on people purposely failing so they can try to take an easier course over the Summer. Also the re-exams and course repeats and stuff are not a right necessarily, it's all at the discretion of the higher ups. It's just up to this point they've always approved them. Moving forward, if they actually get more strict, then they may be more selective.

Reactions: 3 users
Great insight! Why do you think so many students dropped out even with the leniency ?

Work assignments:
Luckily no homework, because I notoriously don't do homework. So far it's all been quizzes and exams. Each week ranges from 0-3 quizzes or exams, so the time you have to prepare for each on varies a bit. We have a staggered schedule so that we rarely have two quizzes or exams on one day and our final exams are offset as well so we have time to study in between. We did have one group presentation in biochemistry, my group specifically presented on ethanol metabolism. But it was a gimme type situation and altogether each group member probably put in about 15 minutes of preparation and then our presentation was about 15 minutes or so. Those presentations were on topics we had already learned, it was really a type of review before the final. In histology lab we had one group presentation thing but that was actually prepared and presented all in one class period, so there wasn't any at home work to be done for it really. Occasionally we get worksheets for physiology that we can do at home and turn in the next week. Since physiology has a lot of equations these can be helpful. But they're entirely optional and count as extra credit on the following exam. So it's really been primarily quizzes and exams, with other assignments being very minimal.

Textbook situation:
The only textbook you're really advised to buy is a Netter. But even then there are "dirty Netters" supplied for use in lab, so I never even bought a Netter. 99% of what the professors want you to know will be in their lectures or other course material, so textbooks are largely unnecessary. I can tell you that people torrent most of the books, but rarely use any of them. The one exception would be histology. The histology professor will put things directly from the book onto a quiz or exam, but she'll always tell you which exact parts of which exact pages to look up at least. Also, I'm not sure what the Temple library carries. I'm sure they do have copies of our textbooks, but I only go in there to print things so I couldn't say with 100% certainty. I can say that even if they do have them, you probably won't use them. My friends who have tried to straight read through textbook chapters rather than focus on what was in the lectures usually suffer the consequences.

Scrubs:
Scrubs are required in lab and you need to get them yourself. The upperclassmen will sell you scrubs before the semester begins or you can buy them on your own. I had scrubs from my old job and those are what I use. Color or style doesn't matter. Though I haven't seen anyone with those pattern/print type female scrub tops.

Lab structure:
There are learning objectives and questions with each lab. You're encouraged to do them beforehand but it's not mandatory. As long as you do them at some point before the next quiz or exam you're good. There isn't like a lab assignment to be turned in on the day of the lab though or anything like that. As far as how the dissections work, there are something like 18 tables. Each table has 1 cadaver and 5-6 students. The students are split into A group and B group. So one day A group will be in lab and B group is off for free study, the next time it reverses. So there aren't more than 3 people for each cadaver per dissection. This also means that for general anatomy you only get to do half of the dissections—there are 24 dissections. At the beginning of the semester you might wanna do more but as the semester drags on and they start piling more courses on you become very thankful that you only have to do half the dissections because they can be very time consuming. Also, I should say that if group A does a dissection one day, then the next lab day begins with a cross-teach where group A discusses the lab with group B and goes over everything before group B does their lab for that day. So you don't do every dissection, but you do learn every dissection. I should also say that the MD students and OT students split their body's vertically, so the MDs I believe also only do half of their dissections, but also only get half of their body, whereas since we're on our own campus we get to do everything bilaterally. In lower extremity anatomy there are more lower limbs to go around since there were two per body plus the dental students don't do lower extremity so we get all of theirs as well. Body's don't get put in refrigeration each day, we just spray them down to keep them moist and zip up their body bags. And you're expected to find certain things but you don't have to. But really if you don't you're only letting your group and the other group that share's your cadaver down. Luckily, there is freedom in when you can get it done. If it's a long lab or you have something the next day to study for you can make your lab quick, only find like half the ****, then come back on the weekend to finish.

Class schedule:
So far we're all on the same schedule except for some labs like I described above. You will be automatically enrolled in the same courses as everyone else every semester.

Leniency:
The people who have left so far left of their own volition. They weren't kicked out. Temple is very lenient. If you fail a course you can do a re-exam which is basically a cumulative exam for the course. If you pass the re-exam you pass the course, though the failure will still be on your transcript as well. If you fail a course and fail a re-exam you can retake the course over the Summer at Drexel. If you fail too many courses in a year they'll make you repeat the year. Overall, they're pretty lenient, much more so than some podiatry schools. However, they've recently said they're gonna start cracking down on people purposely failing so they can try to take an easier course over the Summer. Also the re-exams and course repeats and stuff are not a right necessarily, it's all at the discretion of the higher ups. It's just up to this point they've always approved them. Moving forward, if they actually get more strict, then they may be more selective.

Great insight! Why do you think so many students dropped out even with the leniency ?
Well a couple of people left before we really even began classes, so I'm assuming they were maybe accepted into an MD or DO program last minute and bailed for that reason. Somebody else also left before most of our classes were complete, most likely because they had a long travel time into school, multiple kids, and a job—I'm thinking they couldn't fit their other commitments AND podiatry school into their schedule. So far nobody had left because of grades, but we'll see if that's still the case at the start of this next semester, because some people did fail at least one class this semester.

Reactions: 1 user
Some more questions:

- Has the school given y'all any seminars / assemblies on drinking, depression, suicide, and drug abuse? I hear those topics are very big in the medical profession and community and some other boards I frequent, the med students there mention their schools are very serious about those issues. Some mentioned there have been serious seminars on it. How are those issues treated at your schools?

- What's the financial aid and loan situation like? Is it similar to undergrad where you have to maintain a certain GPA to remain eligible? And what is that GPA cut-off? You get enough to cover your expenses like car payments since you can't work while in school? Or

Some more questions:

- Has the school given y'all any seminars / assemblies on drinking, depression, suicide, and drug abuse? I hear those topics are very big in the medical profession and community and some other boards I frequent, the med students there mention their schools are very serious about those issues. Some mentioned there have been serious seminars on it. How are those issues treated at your schools?

- What's the financial aid and loan situation like? Is it similar to undergrad where you have to maintain a certain GPA to remain eligible? And what is that GPA cut-off? You get enough to cover your expenses like car payments since you can't work while in school? Or

Seminars:
Nahhh. Not yet at least, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've got one coming up at some point. I do believe that during our orientation week they did talk to us about Temple counseling services and stuff like that. We have the full resources of any other major university at our disposal.

Financial Aid: I'm not sure about a GPA cutoff. That would be a good question to ask the financial aid people at your interviews. As far as amount, they'll give you enough to live comfortably, that's for sure. You can easily afford an apartment, utilities, food, etc. You can probably fit a car and insurance in their too if you max out your loans. Scholarships go towards the total amount you're eligible for, so if you get a fat scholarship that means you can get fewer loans and in the end your max will be the same as anyone else's. What's cool about financial aid for graduate/professional students is that it's not income based. No matter how much money you've made in the past year, or if you can somehow manage working while in podiatry school, you'll still be eligible for the same financial aid amount as everyone else.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll play ball. These answers apply to my individual experience at a small Pod school in South Florida.

-You ever get all A's (for the semester) in undergrad?

Nah. Was pretty consistent with a few 3.7s, but no 4.0s
- How long is winter break @ Temple?
n/a
- Have they created the class ranks yet, or that comes after the year instead of the semester?
Classmates were just talking about this. I think at the end of the year because we haven't seen one yet.
- Any regrets so far?
None.
- Is it true that there's always someone that faints for the anatomy lab? (Did someone faint among your group)
Not for us. I was a nursing student for part of undergrad and in the first day of clinical two girls dropped out of the program because they refused to do what clinical instructor ask (redress a bed sore). So it happens but didn't see it here.
- Any research papers / writing assignments, or that'll most likely show up who you take the doctoring courses? (I picture y'all just memorize plenty of info in a short time and take mostly multiple choice and fill-in-the-blanks)
Yeah. Mostly multiple choice tests. Atleast for the first semester.
- Are you expected to recall anything from this year later on in practice, board exams, etc.,? Or is this something you can afford to "let go" off now that exams are done?
Yes. My understanding is that, unless you are an incredibly retentive learner, you end up forgetting most of it anyway. It's just easier to re-learn the 2nd go around.
- what was the white coat ceremony like? They call names, you get your coat, walk off and take pics? Family and friends allowed to come watch?
We don't do our white coat ceremony until the 3rd year here, which I respect since you've shown some merit in earning the white coat by then. But yes, ceremony, speeches, pictures, friends and family welcome.
- Anything you learned from undergrad that helped you out? (I.e. maybe you took a course and it created a solid foundation for you.. or you has some basics that made learning the new stuff run smooth).
The importance of undergrad is learning how you learn. Very little beyond that. I did research in genetics and pathophys so that will help, but I doubt a general undergrad class will tangibly help down the road.
- Give some details about the work, assignments.
Teachers lecture. In anatomy lab you dissect stuff. Histo lab you look at stuff. They ask you questions about the stuff on exams.
We had one easy class that was intro to pod, unapologetic GPA booster in the curriculum. Three easy papers.
One group project for our stats class. No simple homework assignments for easy points. Mostly exams.

- What's the textbook situation like? Is it mandatory that you buy text books, access codes for homeworks? Any trouble finding used copies, previous editions?

Not mandatory for some classes. I'd hold off buying the 1st week of class to see which ones you really need. Some professors list them on the syllabus but never use them. All the information you need is on the powerpoints/notes they provide.

- Scrubs.... I'm sure that's what y'all wear for anatomy lab. Are they provided by the school or it's an expense you'll have to handle yourself?

We had some school issued ones but not required, I got mine from amazon. Expense is on you.

- What's the lab structure like (in terms of the work)? You work on the same cadaver for the entire semester? It goes back in the fridge when class ends, and comes back out next time you're in lab? Any lab reports? And I assume the practical is just to be able to identify EVERY part of it?

Start the lab with a set of objectives (clean and identify x,y,z). You spend half the time finding it/cleaning it out, then the rest memorizing it and looking at other groups cadaver to see variation. It goes back in the fridge, and you use the same cadaver all semester. And yes, the lab exam is just a bunch of bodies with pinned structures, with the question stating "Identify this structure" or "what is the root value of this nerve?" or "What is a clinical implication of this?" or "Identify a muscle that inserts here"

- There's no liberty in class scheduling, right? Like all of the class of 2020 at Temple will all take the same classes at the same time, so it's not like you can do biochem this semester and this other student will be doing something else? In other words your classes are all picked for you. You don't go see some program adviser that tells you take this or that?

Correct- there is no registration freedom, you just take the classes for that semester at that given time. Lab groups and days are split up but you're all together for the lectures. We have program advisors but mostly are just there if you're struggling.

- You pointed out that some people have already been shown the door. Isn't there a chance for probation? What happens if you fail a course? Are you forced to wait for the next year's class and repeat the failed class? Say I have to take 3 classes. I passed 2 and failed 1. Can I go on to next year and take next year's required 3 classes in addition to repeating the 1 I failed? So 4 classes (3 new + 1 repeated/failed)

Fail 1 class and you can remediate during the subsequent semester. Fail 2 classes and you're out. You can go on to next year with 1 remediation. You don't retake the class in it's entirety, but you have to take all the exams again (I believe). Not too familiar with that process, don't plan on having to deal with it.

We had a presentation from Counseling/Psych services during orientation about how to seek help if desired. That's about it. I should note that there is a zero tolerance drug policy- a single drug infraction and you're booted. Wonder how it would work if a student took a medical leave for inpatient substance abuse treatment.

I believe as long as you're elligible to stay in the program you're eligible to continue to take out the loans. For living expenses, it varies by school based on cost of living in the area. It's enough to live modestly with a little funny money leftover- if you're single without kids.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks again to all those who take time out of their schedules to post responses!

-----

- Considering that there's a ranking system, how does that affect the relationship among the students? Are there people trying to get to the top by any means? People that seem their classmates as competition, and just take the competition too seriously? Or is everyone getting along just fine and not worrying too much about the ranks?

- What are the professors like? Are they people you can approach / talk to? To clarify - back in high school we were always told in college, you're an adult and professors don't care what excuses you have. Completely false! I had professors email me asking why I missed an assignment / exam, why I've had a series of bad exams. Even had professors find out why I was excessively late and one suggested a solution. So I figured since professional school is a step above undergrad, maybe things are different? So how are the professors like in podiatry school?

-I know everyone's different but you can always learn a few things from other people. What was your study strategy / technique? How many hours did you study weekly?

-How difficult is it? (So far--based on your replies--I'm getting the impression that with a good memory, commitment of x amount of hours each day, one can pull all A's!)

-You all obviously chose your schools for a reason. So far have the schools lives up to your expectations? Clubs activities, staff, etc.,?

Thanks again to all those who take time out of their schedules to post responses!

-----

- Considering that there's a ranking system, how does that affect the relationship among the students? Are there people trying to get to the top by any means? People that seem their classmates as competition, and just take the competition too seriously? Or is everyone getting along just fine and not worrying too much about the ranks?

- What are the professors like? Are they people you can approach / talk to? To clarify - back in high school we were always told in college, you're an adult and professors don't care what excuses you have. Completely false! I had professors email me asking why I missed an assignment / exam, why I've had a series of bad exams. Even had professors find out why I was excessively late and one suggested a solution. So I figured since professional school is a step above undergrad, maybe things are different? So how are the professors like in podiatry school?

-I know everyone's different but you can always learn a few things from other people. What was your study strategy / technique? How many hours did you study weekly?

-How difficult is it? (So far--based on your replies--I'm getting the impression that with a good memory, commitment of x amount of hours each day, one can pull all A's!)

-You all obviously chose your schools for a reason. So far have the schools lives up to your expectations? Clubs activities, staff, etc.,?

Ranking system affecting relationships: Slightly during didactic years. Sometimes students get a hold of materials (notes, study guides) from other class years above, or are privy to exam contents based on conversations with professors outside of class (this is important, know this- or don't worry about that). This information is usually shared with the closest friends with the "don't send this to anyone else". That's about it for now. However, I have heard some horror stories when it comes to applying for residencies. With the ranking system, it is a total politics play. Students will tell classmates different info to discourage them from applying to residency programs that they want. For example, you and a friend both want a program, but you tell him/her that you rank them #1 and that your GPA is 3.X, which would discourage your friend from applying if they have a GPA <3.X. The merit of this is unfounded (long explanation as to why), but it still happens nonetheless.

Professors: They vary. Some say don't bother them during office hours unless you are failing. Others are open door all the time and welcome visits, about school or anything else. One constant though, at least at my school- do NOT question them. Whether it be a questionable quiz/test question, conflicting instructions or lecture notes/material- they do not like to be challenged, even if it is done respectfully and with tact. We have a grievance committee that is reserved only for extreme cases, i.e. there was a chapter of material on the exam not listed on the syllabus. The 'But in class I thought you said....' or 'But you didn't put that in the notes!' will not be entertained, and in fact it will greatly harm their opinion of you.

Difficulty: This is one topic I find interesting. Yes, it is the greatest challenge of my life by a country mile. That being said- I still have time to do the things that I want or need. Sacrifice is necessary- I'd like to be a better partner to my significant other, I'd like to hang out with my friends more, I'd like to play golf or play Xbox more, but I sacrifice those things in order to perform well. You can still do them, just not as much as you are now or would like to. That is, if you want to succeed. The key is discipline. if you are disciplined with your time you can do everything you want and still perform very well. In my case, I still sleep till 10 on Saturday and loaf around till 1 pm before I hit the library for the day/rest of night. In short- yeah its really hard. But not impossible.

Expectations: It's lived up to my expectations in some regards. It's also exceeded and not met my expectations in other regards. But overall I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting and don't feel I was sold snake oil.

-----

Ranking System Affecting Relationships:
It hasn't seemed to affect our relationships much. Although we're a class of nearly 100 we all get along quite well. I wouldn't say there are any gunners in our class and in fact everyone seems more than willing to help everyone else—couldn't say that this is some sort of "Temple family" sort of thing as much as it is luck of the draw with the people who happened to wind up in our class all getting along well. Every class at Temple has a different overall personality and different relationships with eachother. Now there are situations like TimmyTurner mentioned where one particular student will be privy to some info from a professor or upperclassmen or they may have compiled a studyguide or something and so far this information has spread by 2 means: (1) the person shares it directly with the entire class via our FB group or (2) the person shares it with their closest friends. When option 2 happens it's generally not a "don't let this info spread" situation but rather a situation where that info spreads within a matter of a few days to virtually the whole class. Before putting too much weight into all of this though I should say that we've only finished 1 semester and won't be ranked till the end of the year. None of us know what's going on and while we may be forming vague ideas of who might be nearer to the top or bottom of the class nobody really knows where they stand. I've scored well above average on every quiz and exam we've taken except one so all I can really say is I'm above average. We usually find out the class average on a quiz or exam but that's it, no median, no mode, no range, nada. So while I'm above average that doesn't even guarantee I'm in the top half of the class if there are a few very poor performers bringing the average down. Also one of the upperclassmen said the top 50% of their class all have 90+ averages, so I don't wanna even think that that'll be the case for my class or the difference between two ranks might come down to something like 1 question on 1 quiz or something ridiculous like that.

Professors:
The course directors have regular office hours and will gladly discuss pretty much anything with you. The problem is that our professors also teach at the Temple MD and DMD schools so we're not their only obligation. Then aside from the course directors each class has lecturers who are basically Temple researchers that come in and speak on a variety of topics. For instance medical biochemistry had 11 different professors/lecturers and Temple's main geneticist came and taught us genetics. This is good because they also fill us in on the latest research and where future research is headed but it's bad because these lecturers can be more difficult to reach if you need clarification on part of the course that they taught. I mean a lecturer may come to the podiatry campus for 1 day out of the entire semester just to teach one topic and then we'll never see them again. Some professors I like more than others for one reason or another. Overall, they're all pretty fair. If you go to them they will help you, but because they all teach at multiple professional schools don't expect them to seek you out if you're having trouble. When they send out the emails or Blackboard announcements with a quiz/exam average they'll say something like "if you received below a 70 please schedule to see me" but that's about as far as most of them will go to seek you out. Again, it's not that they don't care, it's just that they each have at least a few hundred students to handle between all the courses they teach so they don't have the time to be so personal. Also, going on what TimmyTurner mentioned, our professors seem to handle being questioned a bit better. Like if Dr Washburn (general anatomy course director) says something wrong and we call him out he'll make a joke out of it and laugh at himself. I've confronted professors in class about BS questions or because we were told 2 different things (I was fairly respectful about it) and whether they saw it our way or didn't they've never once blown it out of proportion or retaliated in any way—they handle it well. However, we do have a curriculum representative as part of our student council and class representatives for each course and if we want to actually challenge a question with the intent of having it thrown out we have to go through them.

Study Strategies:
I would echo what TimmyTurner said—it all comes down to discipline and priorities. I have drastically less time for Xbox, Netflix, family, significant other, etc but I do still have time for them. I either go to class or do nothing during the day—to be honest, I never go to class. All of my productivity occurs at night. On most days I study from 6:00p-midnight. Fridays are usually my least productive day, I usually watch movies at home or go out and get drunk. On Saturdays I'm usually recovering from getting drunk Friday night because obviously that was a better idea than movies, therefore I'm usually not productive till midafternoon at the earliest. Sunday I also usually don't start studying till the afternoon. How many hours I actually study on Saturday or Sunday depends on what we have coming up the following week, so it can vary from just a few hours each day to a dozen or more each day. For our histology+embryology cumulative final I studied something like 14 hours per day for 6 days in a row just for that exam, that's not the norm but may at times be required. As far as study strategies, I've been able to survive primarily on the strategies that were successful for me on the MCAT. Some people use quizlet, some people make paper flashcards, some people just read through the powerpoints. There is no one way to do it. You just need to do what has been successful for you in the past and modify it as you go along.

Difficulty:
Yes, with good memory and proper time commitment (varies by individual) you can do very well. I wouldn't say that any of the topics we learn are conceptually "difficult". The difficulty lies primarily in the amount of information.

School Meeting Expectations:
I have minor complaints, I don't think any program is perfect, but overall it's pretty much what I expected. We're being educated and trained to a higher level than the podiatrists that have come before us, that's for sure. I would rate Temple's professors overall a 8/10. I've attended meetings of our ACFAS (surgical) club, ACFAOM (nonsurgical) club, biomechanics club, sports medicine club, wound care club, and integrated medicine club, and overall I'd rate the meetings a 9/10. I've been very pleased with the speakers that our clubs bring in, plus they're usually lunch meetings so we get free lunch. I've taken away something cool or practical from each meeting (except some of the orthotic ones but I have an orthotic heavy background). Temple's administration and student government are all friendly and fair but poorly organized. We've had situations where we're told a meeting is in one room and we all pile in and settle in only to be moved to another room. Sometimes the information that is disseminated to us is incomplete (for our first interprofessional workshop our preparation emails were missing links and info that all of the other professional schools had sent their students). There are other examples too, but I won't bore you. I'd rate Temple's administration a 7/10 because they do get from point A to point B, sometimes there are just a few extra zig zags and loopty loops in between.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
None of us know what's going on and while we may be forming vague ideas of who might be nearer to the top or bottom of the class nobody really knows where they stand.
The funny thing about this- the class average is anywhere from 72-83, but everyone you ask tells you they got an A. Lol.

—to be honest, I never go to class. All of my productivity occurs at night. On most days I study from 6:00p-midnight.

Yes. This is my exact routine as well. When I stopped going to class my lecture grades went up a full letter grade. In class, professors go through material too fast for me to possibly comprehend or retain. They put everything on lecture capture, so I sit down myself, play it and pause it when I need to, taking notes, adding info, pausing to make sure I understand, etc. I find it to be a much more effective use of my time than sitting through a lecture I retain nothing from. I sleep till 10, loaf around, get to lab when I need to in the afternoon, then spend the rest of the night in the library.

The funny thing about this- the class average is anywhere from 72-83, but everyone you ask tells you they got an A. Lol.

Yes. This is my exact routine as well. When I stopped going to class my lecture grades went up a full letter grade. In class, professors go through material too fast for me to possibly comprehend or retain. They put everything on lecture capture, so I sit down myself, play it and pause it when I need to, taking notes, adding info, pausing to make sure I understand, etc. I find it to be a much more effective use of my time than sitting through a lecture I retain nothing from. I sleep till 10, loaf around, get to lab when I need to in the afternoon, then spend the rest of the night in the library.

Mandatory class a CSPM.

Too soon to tell if I'll be able to retain or if class capture overall is better for my learning style :(

Then again its a pretty small class size and I've always been one to get more out of coming to class (gets my ass out of bed in the morning).

We have some mandatory class days, including all labs and anything where we have partners relying on us. Regular old lectures aren't mandatory though. Some professors give extra credit pop quizzes to try to keep attendance up, but like TimmyTurner said it's a drain on my efficiency to sit there everyday so I don't. About 50-100% of my class is in attendance depending on the day, time, course, and professor. An 8:00a class with a professor nobody likes on a day we have an exam in another class? Ha, couldn't pay me to go.

Got a question for commuters:

1) How long is your commute? Specifically for those driving 20+ min.
2) How do you make it bearable? Or is it just another thing you have to do and you don't mind it much?
3) Did it affect your academic performance?
4) If you had a choice, would you pay a premium to live closer to campus and cut down on the time spent driving?
5) Did your SO factor into your decision to stay farther/closer to campus? If so how did yall cope?

Reason for asking: SO is moving with me when school starts up. Figuring out if we should pay the premium and get a place close to campus or get a cheaper option but drive 30min one way to school everyday.

This doesn't factor in her job opportunities and anything else I havn't thought of.

School is CSPM.

2) How do you make it bearable? Or is it just another thing you have to do and you don't mind it much?
4) If you had a choice, would you pay a premium to live closer to campus and cut down on the time spent driving?
5) Did your SO factor into your decision to stay farther/closer to campus? If so how did yall cope?

Reason for asking: SO is moving with me when school starts up. Figuring out if we should pay the premium and get a place close to campus or get a cheaper option but drive 30min one way to school everyday.

This doesn't factor in her job opportunities and anything else I havn't thought of.

School is CSPM.
I don't commute, but I can say as someone who lives a 5 minute walk from my campus that I wouldn't want it any other way. Most of the people I know who commute count that as lost time. If I were them I would rip class capture into an mp3 and listen on the drive, but they don't do that. I would try to find out how your schedule will be. If you have classes all day long it might not be that bad to commute. At Temple sometimes we have a class from 8-10 and then like 1-3 and then maybe a club meeting at night (maybe 5-7). It's nice to be able to run head home between these class periods or for lunch or for whatever other reason. Plus on exam days I can pretty much study up until 10-15 min before the exam begins whereas people who drive in from Jersey don't get that luxury. There are other factors too, like not having to pay for parking on campus/in the city, less gas money, fewer oil changes, etc. Not sure how well this would translate to CSPM because I'm not sure how their campus or the surrounding area is laid out. There are tons other little benefits too like I can pop over to anatomy lab often and any time I want. Around Temple there are affordable places so I'm not sure I would save too much money on rent if I lived farther out of the city, but I'd gladly pay a premium any day to live near campus.

As always, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedules to post!

----

-On the MD/DO side of things, a lot of people have commented on how research and other extracurricular can help land some competitive residencies. Now podiatry doesn't have separate residencies for derm, surgery, etc. So if one is not interested in research, can you get into a strong residency without any of the activities and the usual "resume padding"?

-What does your school do in terms of community outreach or international medical trips? Do they post sign up sheets for a trip to another country where students will team up with professors and doctors to check feet? Are there GPA requirements for such programs? (I guess this sort of ties into the other question above). Does the school go out into underserved areas in the community and offer free foot check ups? (I saw a video of this on YouTube; just don't remember which school). Are said events mandated, or there's a choice?

-White coats..... so after the ceremony, you don't wear them until clinicals?

As always, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedules to post!

----

-On the MD/DO side of things, a lot of people have commented on how research and other extracurricular can help land some competitive residencies. Now podiatry doesn't have separate residencies for derm, surgery, etc. So if one is not interested in research, can you get into a strong residency without any of the activities and the usual "resume padding"?

-What does your school do in terms of community outreach or international medical trips? Do they post sign up sheets for a trip to another country where students will team up with professors and doctors to check feet? Are there GPA requirements for such programs? (I guess this sort of ties into the other question above). Does the school go out into underserved areas in the community and offer free foot check ups? (I saw a video of this on YouTube; just don't remember which school). Are said events mandated, or there's a choice?

-White coats..... so after the ceremony, you don't wear them until clinicals?

Competitiveness for Residencies
- You might do better to ask this question in the residents and physicians section because we're still first years. That being said, most of the upperclassmen felt that I've spoken to weren't concerned about doing research at all. They felt that it wouldn't really help them much unless perhaps they tried to go on to a fellowship related to the subject of that research. But for residency, it seems to be a much more minor factor than something like GPA or class rank or student government positions (voting positions like class president, not like the person who sends out emails for the class council or plans social activities). That's about all the input I have on that, maybe TimmyTurner has more insight.

Extracurricular Activities
- I believe one of our religious clubs goes out to a church once a month or something and does foot screenings for the homeless. I don't think you necessarily need to be part of the club or attend the other club meetings, since they're always looking for volunteers for that sort of thing. I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but our sports medicine club goes to the Boston marathon every year to treat runners but since they're paying for you to go you need to be a member of that club and attend pretty much all of their meetings. I suppose what I'm getting at is that at least at our school, if it's a local thing there are probably minimal requirements to participate whereas if it involves traveling with a club then you would need to be one of the most active members of that club to get a spot. There are no GPA requirements or anything like that though. However, probably due to liabilities and whatnot they probably won't let you actually start treating people (even the homeless) in any capacity until 3rd year, maybe 2nd year if you're very lucky. There are also doctors without borders type things that happen every once in a while, but they probably wouldn't even consider letting you tag along unless you were a 3rd or 4th year or maybe you had really good Spanish (most of these trips go to central/south America) or something else to offer.

White Coats
- Well, at Temple we don't even do the white coat ceremony until just before we begin clinicals, so yea we don't wear them until then. Most of the upperclassmen here wear theirs in lectures as well though, since they have lectures in the morning and then go into lab afterwards. So I suppose once we get them, we can pretty much wear them all the time. It also differentiates the clinical students from the 1st and 2nd years I suppose.

So it's not the school directly that's having these mission / medical trips. It's clubs & organizations--run by students--that are indirectly doing it, correct?

And glad you brought up the white coats to lecture comment. I actually raised that question because I think I've seen pictures of some students sitting in a lecture hall setting while wearing the coats. Also for schools that hold their ceremony first year, first few months, I was curious if the students would basically keep them in their closets all the way until 3rd/4th year when they started clinicals. (I know Temple doesn't have their own in the first year).

---------

-For the schools that combine with MD/DO/DMD/DDS/etc., how does that pan out? Can you notice the divisions? Or you can't really tell? Do the podiatry folk stick together and likewise for the others? Do you notice the childish SDN behavior where there's a sense of superiority from one group over the next?

So it's not the school directly that's having these mission / medical trips. It's clubs & organizations--run by students--that are indirectly doing it, correct?

And glad you brought up the white coats to lecture comment. I actually raised that question because I think I've seen pictures of some students sitting in a lecture hall setting while wearing the coats. Also for schools that hold their ceremony first year, first few months, I was curious if the students would basically keep them in their closets all the way until 3rd/4th year when they started clinicals. (I know Temple doesn't have their own in the first year).

---------

-For the schools that combine with MD/DO/DMD/DDS/etc., how does that pan out? Can you notice the divisions? Or you can't really tell? Do the podiatry folk stick together and likewise for the others? Do you notice the childish SDN behavior where there's a sense of superiority from one group over the next?
For missions, those are headed up by podiatrists. I think there's a group that goes at least yearly but I don't think it's school specific. For the other events, yes those are planned by the student run clubs and receive funding if necessary from the student government or alumni or whatever.

Temple has MDs, DMDs, PharmDs, PTs, OTs, PAs, and nurses. Most of them are on the health science campus. Podiatry has it's own campus so we do not mix regularly. We've had one interprofessional workshop, and while none of them knew the full scope of what a podiatrist can do, they were all very polite and professional. Nobody talked down to anybody else and only had good things to say about each profession. Like we had to say one word or phrase to describe each other profession and my group got a lot of things like "keeping people on their feet" and "keeping people active", so I was cool with that. I know there are other schools where they really mix with other professions on a daily basis, so other people can probably answer your question better than me.

Last edited:

School is CSPM.
I'll PM you for CSPM specifics.

1) In 3rd and 4th year students will be traveling for clinic. The best thing you can do is to create a carpool with some of your classmates.
2) Driving can be long. There are some great podcasts for long drives. You can also study if you are carpooling.
3) NO
4) This is dependent on the school. If you are with your SO you need to consider if a location is good for both of you.
5) Going to med school is a FAMILY effort. Make decisions together. If you make decisions together things will go a lot smoother.

School is CSPM.

1) Mine is about 8-12 minutes even in traffic. I rented a place strategically so that not only was I close, but always traveling in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic.
2) My commute is easy. Some classmates travel up to an hour both ways with traffic. Basically, you structure your day around it and make it work. Most of the 'real world' (people with full time employment) commute every day, it's just an unavoidable fact of life.
3) No. I think anyone who says that it did is just making excuses for themselves. Either learn how to study at home, or plan to stay on campus/at library for as long as you need.
4) In my case I didn't have to pay extra to live closer to campus, but if that is the case- think of it this way: You're most likely taking out $200k+ in loans as it is. If you pay an extra $300/month to be closer to campus for just the first year, over 12 months it will be an extra $3,600. What's another $3,600 on top of $200k+ if it means being able to sleep in a half hour later every morning? (to be exact, it's 1.8% more).
5) Yes, but when we moved down here, she didn't have a job lined up. The deal was we'd rent close to school for the first year, and if she got a Great job somewhere further away, we'd move in the 2nd year to accommodate her commute. Fortunately she got a great job and it's not far from where we live now, so no need to move.

Reactions: 1 user
Class rep to the APMSA. What's that like? The students vote for that position? Every school has one?