Class of 2023 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And I’m willing to do it for my IS :) I just have a SO that is coming with me wherever I get in, I just hope he doesn’t quit his job to find out he could have kept his job (or every other situation that hinders him) but that’s part of this fun admissions game, I guess ‍♀️
Would your SO be giving two weeks' notice, or do they work a job that tends to appreciate more forward notice (e.g. a month's notice)? I don't know the specifics of your living situation, but you may be able to have your SO postpone moving out with you by a few weeks or so, then that way if you get pulled off your IS list he won't have already put in notice with his current job since you staggered the moves. Maybe not ideal, but a thought.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Did any current vet student move to the town/city in which your school is several months ahead of time?

Has anyone worked at their school during the months prior to matriculation?

I'm newly unemployed (lol) and haven't yet started looking for a new job (it was unexpected). I am thinking that if I get into vet school, I might like to move to that town a few months ahead of time to get used to the new area. It would be nice if I could work at the school as well.

Would your SO be giving two weeks' notice, or do they work a job that tends to appreciate more forward notice (e.g. a month's notice)? I don't know the specifics of your living situation, but you may be able to have your SO postpone moving out with you by a few weeks or so, then that way if you get pulled off your IS list he won't have already put in notice with his current job since you staggered the moves. Maybe not ideal, but a thought.
So his job is actually pretty great and could probably handle him doing something like that. I’m more concerned about our lease ending August 1st and our apartment refusing an one month extension in case I get pulled off after that date

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So his job is actually pretty great and could probably handle him doing something like that. I’m more concerned about our lease ending August 1st and our apartment refusing an one month extension in case I get pulled off after that date
Do you think they would? From my experience/in my area it is possible to go month to month after lease ends but it is pretty dang expensive. But I'd personally check with your leasing office before hand rather than waiting for it to come around

Reactions: 1 users
Our original lease ended this month but they let us extend it six months hesitantly for the purpose of vet school admissions and made a point to tell us not to do it again, so I will reiterate the circumstances and hope for the best, I just don’t expect much with how they sounded originally.

Do you know when classes start for your IS?

Did any current vet student move to the town/city in which your school is several months ahead of time?

I'm newly unemployed (lol) and haven't yet started looking for a new job (it was unexpected). I am thinking that if I get into vet school, I might like to move to that town a few months ahead of time to get used to the new area. It would be nice if I could work at the school as well.
I moved several months ahead of time, but didn't work. However, I think working at the school would be possible (especially since a lot of schools are strapped for student staff in the summers) and, if not, at least working in the area should be pretty do-able. If you're planning this, it might be helpful to email the school and ask if they have any school job listings boards that you could look through and apply to jobs through.

Reactions: 1 users
August 22-23 ish
Yeah, that's pretty late in the month. If it were closer to the second week of August I might have suggested he still stagger his move and ask if he could crash on a coworker or friend's couch for a week or two, but that long is probably pushing it (and certainly not comfortable or fun for your SO).

I moved in May.

Personally, I found it kind of boring and lonely to be in a new area where I didn't really know anybody for months. Although to be fair I'm not a very social person so that probably didn't help and not everyone's experience would be like mine. Just something to consider though.

I moved in May.

Personally, I found it kind of boring and lonely to be in a new area where I didn't really know anybody for months. Although to be fair I'm not a very social person so that probably didn't help and not everyone's experience would be like mine. Just something to consider though.

It's what I did in undergrad for 3 years (I was an off-campus, non-trad transfer student) - doesn't bother me one bit! Also not very social. There's always tinder... :laugh: