class president

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question.

What is a class president? what are the duties of a class president? how does it work? how is a class president chosen? I have never been a class president in the usa. In my country we call it a class chief and i held this position in some classes during high school (euh...6-7 years ago) so i am good for an update!!!!!!!!!
I just wanna make sure that it is the same thing that back home or learn the differences and what will make me a good or a bad candidate for it, because i want to postulate to be my 2009 class president.

I am single mom (not true, i am married, but feels like that because i will be raising our baby along with school alone while daddy is doing his phD in another state)

I want to be involve in school activities so that i do not spend the next 4 years just studying and babbling with my son. I am learnig from my experience that motherhood can easily drive you "away" from the "real world" if you are not carefull.

Any advise or suggestion is welcomed!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The main responsibility for class president at my school is to be the link between the faculty and our class. I guess you could consider them the spokesperson for our class, as they are the person that the teacher wants to discuss issues that involve our class as a whole like test scheduling and things like that. They also hold class meetings, serve on the student government association and lots of other stuff.

The role of class president is really demanding and requires a lot of time outside of class. I think our P1 president was pretty overwhelmed at first because of being pulled in so many different directions. We were all new and had lots of questions about everything, so he was the one we went to for answers. :laugh:

It's good that you want to be involved! There will be tons of opportunities for you in pharmacy school.

Good luck!

pharmagirl said:
The main responsibility for class president at my school is to be the link between the faculty and our class. I guess you could consider them the spokesperson for our class, as they are the person that the teacher wants to discuss issues that involve our class as a whole like test scheduling and things like that. They also hold class meetings, serve on the student government association and lots of other stuff.

The role of class president is really demanding and requires a lot of time outside of class. I think our P1 president was pretty overwhelmed at first because of being pulled in so many different directions. We were all new and had lots of questions about everything, so he was the one we went to for answers. :laugh:

It's good that you want to be involved! There will be tons of opportunities for you in pharmacy school.

Good luck!
Above is correct, however I find being involved in student government to be the most unrewarding job you can possibly have. There is no real sense of doing anything that really makes a difference. Pharmacy school, just like any other school, is pretty much totalitarian in terms of decisions for the students. Whatever the school faculty says, goes. Students have a very limited set of "rights"

If you really want to become involved, get involved in your school's APhA chapter or ASHP chapter. Both organizations allow you the ability to do so much professionally and gives you many networking tools to accomplish your goals. Serving as our chapter's president for the past year, I can honestly say it has been the most rewarding and satisfying thing I have ever done. I have created so many friendships because of APhA from as close as the University of Georgia 2 hours up the road, to making great friends at the University of Washington with many friends in between. Between my friendships and networking contacts, I have greatly improved my chances for the job/residency I want when I graduate as well. You don't have to be chapter president either to be involved. Both organizations offer many positions and you could also just choose not to hold a position and just participate in chapter sponsored activities. Another avenue to explore is to be involved in professional frats. I don't know much about them, but they are out there. If you have any questions about APhA feel free to PM me. If you want more info on ASHP, PM kwakster928 (Temple's chapter president). For frats, PM bbmuffin. I hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Caverject said:
I am now seeing that you will be going to the University of Tennessee. They have one of THE best APhA/ASHP chapters around. They are consistent winners for chapter of the year awards for APhA. They also have a great web page for information. Here is the link

http://copintranet.utmem.edu/asp/asp/default_content.html

actually it just got changed to www.utasp.org

Caverject...thanks for saying that about our chapter..i know you're involved in ASP at South University..are you going to SLI through APhA or anybody from your chapter?? I'll be there..so just curious

I went last year and had a blast. I expect that your expereince will be similar. We are sending our soon to be chapter president this year.