Class Rank vs step 1 IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc mu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
my university teaches way too much minutia and straight out MISSES the big picture most of the time , this i think is bad for step and the tests are loaded with minutia , should i focus on step prep these years or minutia to get a better clss rank?

Members don't see this ad.

my university teaches way too much minutia and straight out MISSES the big picture most of the time , this i think is bad for step and the tests are loaded with minutia , should i focus on step prep these years or minutia to get a better clss rank?
Class rank means nothing most of time - just because you can't directly compare different classes, different schools. There's a list of items from most important to least important for residency - about 30 items if I remember correctly. Class rank is somewhere in the lower part of that list. Step 1 is in top 5 items.

P.S. if I'm not mistaken LORs mean even more than step 1, but that been said your step 1 needs to be above certain threshold of course.

honestly..why would anyone even care what your class rank is at a non-US school

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a list of items from most important to least important for residency

can you please send me the list so that i know what to focus on exactly?

and thank you all for your replies , i will focus on step prep then :)

according to this survey 60% of all specialties take class rank into consideration and give it a 4/5 importance rating , is this true for both US graduates and IMGs or only US graduates as people previously stated in this thread?

It's likely true only for US graduates as US medical schools have certain standards/rules that are known to PDs. Foreign medical schools are less known generally by them.

It's likely true only for US graduates as US medical schools have certain standards/rules that are known to PDs. Foreign medical schools are less known generally by them.

alright , thanks mate ! :)