Class rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sab3156

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious - How much of a difference is being #1 in your class vs. being in the top 15% or so? Is there any significant difference in how PDs would view your application?

Members don't see this ad.

They will notice the most difference if it gives you AOA. As a famous program director once told me "AOA goes a long way".

I do think if someone could say you were #1 that would be pretty incredible, but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.

Reactions: 1 user
They will notice the most difference if it gives you AOA. As a famous program director once told me "AOA goes a long way".

I do think if someone could say you were #1 that would be pretty incredible, but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.

Unfortunately I am at a DO school, so we don't have AOA (though there are a couple of similar organizations). The reason I am asking is because my school seems highly ignorant of board relevant material and teaches in a style that can only be described as pure information overload. My rank is high but I am struggling dividing my time between class and Step 1 prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately I am at a DO school, so we don't have AOA (though there are a couple of similar organizations). The reason I am asking is because my school seems highly ignorant of board relevant material and teaches in a style that can only be described as pure information overload. My rank is high but I am struggling dividing my time between class and Step 1 prep.

Unfortunately your Step 1 score is crucial for an allopathic residency. Most programs use it as a screening tool and use it to rank applicants. If you truly have to pick one or the other, a good Step1 score will do you more good.

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately your Step 1 score is crucial for an allopathic residency. Most programs use it as a screening tool and use it to rank applicants. If you truly have to pick one or the other, a good Step1 score will do you more good.

Thanks, I am thinking I should just do as well as I can in classes while still keeping up with USMLE question banks and flashcards. I won't be #1 but I think I can definitely remain in top 15-20%. Hopefully that is good enough for rank. I am pretty anxious because I am realizing more and more every day that I cannot do well on Step 1 while trying to be top of my class (in second year we have to literally memorize all of big Robbins... no joke... and in the words of a second year student: "You will have to pick between your rank and step 1 come second year").

Step 1 is much more important, especially since you don't have AOA. I'm not sure why they even care about AOA or class rank as much as they do given the drastically different grading systems of schools around the country. Makes it pretty difficult to compare, and it discourages academic activities other than studying at schools that aren't pass/fail.

Agreed. Step 1 is more important for you. You will have to do better than Allopathic applicants to get an allopathic spot. In addition, you will need to rotate at allopathic programs. Nobody will care about your grades are your DO school. sad but true.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.