Class rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yorick

a fellow of infinite jest
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad school reports on our information system our class rank for our entire class, for my specific school (within the university), and for my major. Will this have any effect at all when I apply to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

My undergrad school reports on our information system our class rank for our entire class, for my specific school (within the university), and for my major. Will this have any effect at all when I apply to medical school?

Doubt it. Most applicants are toward the top of their class anyway.

Is a 3.99 valedictorian better than all the other 3.99s?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Not really, im ranked 540/1600 students but the ranking is insignificant because some people may be ranked higher than you because they have easier majors.

Members don't see this ad :)

Rank doesn't matter

No, because it doesn't show up on AMCAS anyway.

Class rank is irrelevant due to varying difficulties between different institutions. That's why they invented the MCAT on that dark and stormy night.

Class rank at an undergraduate institution means very little considering the wide array of majors people take. Now a major or subject specific rank may be helpful (if this even exists), but with all the things medical schools already look for in applicants I doubt this even comes up.

There is one quite good school that makes class rank (x out of xxxx) part of its committee letter. I've also seen it listed in LORs from US military academies. That does put a gpa in context; that is to say, it helps determine if a 3.3 is excellent and places an applicant in the top quarter of his graduating class and the school has little grade inflation or that there is a lot of grade inflation and a 3.90 is "top quarter".

how important is class rank to adcoms?

is class rank 75th out of 250 students considered good/neutral/not good?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that if class rank is suggested by major and overall school, it would be helpful but unlike high school, there may be students that take easy majors and get 4.0s. Afterall, we do not take classes all the same like our peers. On the whole, we don't get extra points for pursuing hard classes either like in high school where AP was offered and an unweight gpa was included to provide perspective.
I would like to ask the dean of my college to write a recommendation though to put into perspective how hard my major was but I'd rather they not standardize me by numerics.

how important is class rank to adcoms?

is class rank 75th out of 250 students considered good/neutral/not good?

I'm impressed by the top 25 out of 250 and distressed by a class rank of 225 or higher out of 250. Everyone else is just the middle. That said, if the GPA were 3.7 and the class rank was 230 out of 250 I'd know we were dealing with major inflation and the reverse if a 3.5 is ranked 30th out of 250.

Reactions: 1 user