Class repeat issue...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canesmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so here is my university's class retake policy...

"REPEAT RULES

A student may repeat a course, but the repetition will not eliminate the previous grade from the record. A course may be repeated only once unless written authorization is provided by the chair of the department in which the course is offered or, in the case of an undepartmentalized school, by the dean.
ILLEGAL REPEAT

A student may not repeat a course in which a grade of C or higher has been earned. This is considered an illegal repeat.
GENERAL REPEAT RULE

If the initial grade is D+ or lower (or a C- in cases where an academic unit requires a C or higher), both the initial grade and the repeat grade are included in the computation of the student’s cumulative grade-point average (CGPA).
If the initial grade is a D or D+ (or a C- in cases where an academic unit requires a C or higher) and the repeat grade is passing, the number of credits required for graduation will be increased by the number of credits repeated.
Registrations that involve repeating a course in which a grade of C or higher (or C- in cases where an academic unit does not require a C or higher) has already been earned do not earn quality points or credit hours, nor count as credits attempted.
Courses repeated after graduation will be posted to the transcript showing the grade received; however, the CGPA and credits earned will not be modified based on the grade received for the repeated course."

Im currently a senior taking a gap year prior to matriculation, trying to do some GPA recovery. I was planning on retaking orgo I (which I got a C the first time around) in the spring, but after briefly talking to one of the temporary pre-med advisors (the pre-health department chair got a better job and the whole department is currently going through a transition period) I found out that this may not be possible.

How do people normally take repeats? Do those schools not have this "illegal repeat" policy? I would much rather retake orgoI instead of taking a upper level science class... Any suggestions?

My planned spring semester looks like this:
MICROBIOLOGY 301 + LAB (required for graduation)
ART 263- Intro to glassblowing (required for ART minor)
BIOCHEMISTRY 545 (3 credit- research course)
MATH 210 (Intro to Linear Algebra)
14 credits total
thoughts? too easy? too tough? should I add another UL sci? add another easy A?

Any comments are appreciated...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools don't have the repeat policy like that. In addition, when it comes to calculation, it doesn't matter what your university does, it matters what aacomas does. If you need to retake at a different school, or wait until they can charge more money, you may have to.

I may be totally wrong but what it sounds like is these rules apply to a beneficial gpa recovery/replacement within your school. Like they are willing to let certain repeats take place as if they never knew you had the old bad grade. It would still show up on transcripts but your school would not factor the original into its gpa for you. This is useful for gpa recovery for getting into major programs within your school. I can't imagine they wouldn't want your money as long as they didn't have to give you some added grade replacement/repeat benefit on your gpa. The AACOMAS application is willing to take the latest repeat no matter how many times or what the original grade was.

What kind of Nazi regime is running your school? Illegal Repeat sounds a bit harsh.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad school was the same...if you got a 2.0 (C) or higher you cannot take the class in fact our enrollment system would give you an error message if you tried to enroll in a class you have previously taken with a grade of 2.0+.

lol I had many friends who would beg the professors to give them a 1.0 (D) so they could retake it.

The reason some schools do this is because of crowd control...at any given moment in a class like orgo or gen chem etc you have like 1000+ students trying to take a course where only 400 seats are available (these are only guesstimate numbers but you get the point: bigger demand than supply) if you allowed retakes from people with 2.0 (C) or higher you could easily have 2000+ students trying to get seats and the people who need it to move onto their next set of courses might not get it

if you want to take this retake this course and the undergrad school won't let you retake it at a CC but make sure it is the same amount of credits or I have heard AACOMAS will give you issues.

Wow, thats crazy. Every school I went to wanted that $$$ more than anything. OP, try taking repeats as non-degree seeking somewhere nearby.

My undergrad school was the same...if you got a 2.0 (C) or higher you cannot take the class in fact our enrollment system would give you an error message if you tried to enroll in a class you have previously taken with a grade of 2.0+.

lol I had many friends who would beg the professors to give them a 1.0 (D) so they could retake it.

The reason some schools do this is because of crowd control...at any given moment in a class like orgo or gen chem etc you have like 1000+ students trying to take a course where only 400 seats are available (these are only guesstimate numbers but you get the point: bigger demand than supply) if you allowed retakes from people with 2.0 (C) or higher you could easily have 2000+ students trying to get seats and the people who need it to move onto their next set of courses might not get it

if you want to take this retake this course and the undergrad school won't let you retake it at a CC but make sure it is the same amount of credits or I have heard AACOMAS will give you issues.