Class rooms and cell phones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont know if your schools allow you guys to keep cell phones .....but it just blew my day.....i forgot to put it to silent mode and it rang off just when i stood in my pharmacology tutorial to answer the question being asked ....and the sadistic maniac a.k.a my demonstrator kicked me outta the class without even listning to the answer i mean how bad can they be.....considering that i am among the top three students in the class they should atleast listen!!!!!

i mean teachers should discipline you up but medical school shouldnt be a place for such trivial accidents???what do you guys say?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that cells are a big distraction. You probably will never forget to silence you phone now.

I dont know if your schools allow you guys to keep cell phones .....but it just blew my day.....i forgot to put it to silent mode and it rang off just when i stood in my pharmacology tutorial to answer the question being asked ....and the sadistic maniac a.k.a my demonstrator kicked me outta the class without even listning to the answer i mean how bad can they be.....considering that i am among the top three students in the class they should atleast listen!!!!!

i mean teachers should discipline you up but medical school shouldnt be a place for such trivial accidents???what do you guys say?
allow? Are you in medical school or prison....I mean come on.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like almost every lecture the professor's cell or pager goes off. So they don't seem to care at our school.

It seems like almost every lecture the professor's cell or pager goes off. So they don't seem to care at our school.

Same here; we have real doctors giving lectures sometimes and they have beepers and cell phones going off all the time.

If you want to be considerate, you can try these things...

1. Set your phone on vibrate all the time. You can still feel the vibration and never miss a call.
2. Pick a less obnoxious ringer, or maybe one that starts out soft then gets louder.
3. Get a Windows Mobile phone and use it to keep your appointments and class schedule. If you mark an appointment as Busy, many Windows Mobile phones will automatically set the phone to vibrate while you are in class, and then set it back to normal ring when you aren't in class.

I don't think they should kick you out of class, but you should try things to be more considerate to your fellow peers and professors since it's alright for the speaker to forget, but not for the mass student body.

We're required to leave our bags at the front of the room for exams. It never fails that someone's cell phone in their bag goes off during the exam. Even if it's on vibrate, you can still hear it and it's distracting. I do wish people would be more considerate with their phones. Still, it probably was a bit excessive to throw you out for a regular class session.

I would say it will cut down on the cell phones ringing during pharamcology tutorials for a little while. Sounds like he didn't have you publicly flogged and crush your cell phone with a brick so it wasn't that bad.

Most of our classrooms don't have any reception anyways.

I thought this thread was gonna be about getting reception in med school buildings. I don't think my phone + carrier + med school is gonna work out too well. Might need to switch! :p

I bet you wrote this entire pointless post just so you could drop this unsolicited little tidbit. What a DB. Sometimes I really hate med students.

I think if your cell phone goes off and your in the bottom of the class its ground for dismissal from school...Without a refund...And the school calls verizon and has your plan canceled...

considering that i am among the top three students in the class they should atleast listen!!!!!
I just noticed this. As a top student of your class, you should definitely talk to the dean about taking administrative action against the faculty member who offended you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just noticed this. As a top student of your class, you should definitely talk to the dean about taking administrative action against the faculty member who offended you.

And you should definitely preface this conversation with, "As one of the top three students in the class, I firmly believe..."

Then threaten to withdraw from school if the Dean doesn't give you what you want. As one of the top three students in the class, you've got crazy leverage.

We're all aware that putting the dang thing on silent is the courteous and respectful thing to do. Occasionally people forget, but everyone seems to let it slide because everyone knows no disrespect was meant by it.

Kicked you out of the small group? Sounds like high school. Sorry to hear that. That being said...

considering that i am among the top three students in the class they should atleast listen!!!!!

Did they forget to spread rose petals on the ground where you walked when you left as well!?! The disrespect!

Your attitude may have had something to do with getting kicked out...what do you think?

I can see it now...storming out of the room...red faced..slamming the door..."I am one of the top 3, listen to me!!!!"

Dang, I came in here to say exactly the same thing. Curse you all!:mad:

Your attitude may have had something to do with getting kicked out...what do you think?

I can see it now...storming out of the room...red faced..slamming the door..."I am one of the top 3, listen to me!!!!"

guys........... relax!! i dont know why the emphasis is so much on me being the top student? no i dont walk around with a know-it-all attitude. all i meant was that teachers are soo....evil at times i mean i usually am careful about these kinda precautions but as the debate goes we are still humans.... all i wanted was a moment of consideration ...the departments know me its just that their mood switch is so obnoxious. .....and i am very respectful or least try to be to towards the demo's....throwing me out without warning was rude...

We're all aware that putting the dang thing on silent is the courteous and respectful thing to do. Occasionally people forget, but everyone seems to let it slide because everyone knows no disrespect was meant by it.

Kicked you out of the small group? Sounds like high school. Sorry to hear that. That being said...

Did they forget to spread rose petals on the ground where you walked when you left as well!?! The disrespect!

hey thats not a bad idea!!!!!:cool::laugh::laugh::laugh:

at least some of you guys get phone calls... since med school my phone log has been the same for weeks...:laugh:

We're required to leave our bags at the front of the room for exams. It never fails that someone's cell phone in their bag goes off during the exam. Even if it's on vibrate, you can still hear it and it's distracting. I do wish people would be more considerate with their phones. Still, it probably was a bit excessive to throw you out for a regular class session.

You can also use silent mode. Also, Windows Mobile phones can be set to use silent as well as vibrate when you are in a scheduled class (or meeting)

Even if it's on vibrate, you can still hear it and it's distracting. I do wish people would be more considerate with their phones.

Wow. If a vibrating phone in a backpack causes you to lose concentration for one minute in an exam that is over an hour long and become frustrated, I can't imagine what would happen if a patient's life were in your hands and someone next to you sneezed while you were trying to make a decision. Seriously, grow up.

guys........... relax!! i dont know why the emphasis is so much on me being the top student? no i dont walk around with a know-it-all attitude. all i meant was that teachers are soo....evil at times i mean i usually am careful about these kinda precautions but as the debate goes we are still humans.... all i wanted was a moment of consideration ...the departments know me its just that their mood switch is so obnoxious. .....and i am very respectful or least try to be to towards the demo's....throwing me out without warning was rude...

Are you at a US med school? Sounds like some of the shenanigans that go on in the Caribbean.

A while back there was a video circulating on utube of a student in UG who answered his phone during a lecture. The professor walked up to the student, took the phone from him and smashed it to pieces on the ground. I think that was an over reaction.

Ok, enough with the elipsis. We here in America us periods, colons, semi-colons, and commas to separate our clauses. So, because you were interrupting class, you want a break because you're "in the top 3"? why?

[EDIT] All I'm saying is that people are inconsiderate with their cell phones. [EDIT]Oh wait, you're not even in school. You really don't have anything better to do.

Be nice. I simply presented you with a legitimate situation and you just fire back with personal attacks? Very mature :rolleyes:

Also, if you look at my current status, I'm now a doctor! Do you always believe everything you read and come up such lame insults?

A while back there was a video circulating on utube of a student in UG who answered his phone during a lecture. The professor walked up to the student, took the phone from him and smashed it to pieces on the ground. I think that was an over reaction.

I think Brain would disagree.

Don't think that just because your phone doesn't get reception it won't suddenly ring in class even though you can't actually place or receive calls. Don't ask me how I know.

Booting you out is a little harsh, but professors can choose to enforce their rules however they like. You knew the rules and you made a mistake and you had to leave the room. It's not like the guy flunked you.

You'll remember better after this and soon you'll be like me and forget to turn on your stupid phone for days. I'd much rather irritate my sister than the anatomy course director.

IMO any professor should have the right to smash a cellphone that's ringing. Well, in my school at least. It's always those med school male and female bimboes who "forget" to turn off their cellphones, and it's always the same darn tunes you hear.
And the thing is that the only people who could call them is one of their friends of the same class who are skipping mandatory classes (just to show up with a fake sicknote later).
So that's why I would like our professors and lecturers to smash their phones when they get a call during classes or lectures. (But they can't do that since their own phones go off during practically every class.)

And I could care less if you were the best student renowned for being hardworking, rules are rules and no one gives a damn about your self-labeling as "the top 3" in your class when they enforce them.

It's not your class, it's the lecturers, and you abide by his/her rules when entering the class.

Seriously, I would love the people whose phones go off to be thrown out of class, in my school, so that they would remember to turn it off at least for another two weeks.

I'm not up on my bull**** lingo - so, just to be clear: does "Top 3" mean you're 3rd in the class and don't want to admit losing to two more, or does it mean that there are no released rankings so you're assuming you're in the top 3 (of the people who have enough self confidence to blurt out their grades for attention)? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

As for the cell phones ringing in class - how hard is it to turn your cell phone on vibrate, seriously? I think a lecturing professor has the right to get rid of any distractions that will detract from their lecture for the benefit of all students. As stated previously, I'm sure you won't be dumb enough to forget to turn your phone off next time.

You knew the rules and you made a mistake. Don't blame your demonstrator and get on with your life, topstudent or not. And try to be a bit more modest in the future, I don't think by saying you're a topstudent is going to help you achieve things in medicine.

no%20u.jpg

Bottom line even if you forget.. You DISTRACTED the class.. ..[I mean its not a taco stand] Its a heavy academic arena..Geez! Also ignorance of the law is no excuse..Put the ego aside..
You could make a public apology.. You and conscientious others could learn from your mistake..

I have sensed one thing, people here are very fond of letting each other down.Comments like "are you from a school in America or carabien".
"grow up".."comments on grammer and proper punctuation usage"...wow i mean if one is able to get across a message is that not enough? whats with the properly proper? anyway thanx for the input though i am still not convinced that throwing out of the class was a right thing to do irrespective of the fact that I am an honour roll student. I know with laws there can be no discrepency but as there was no such law the action was wrong.

I'm not up on my bull**** lingo - so, just to be clear: does "Top 3" mean you're 3rd in the class and don't want to admit losing to two more, or does it mean that there are no released rankings so you're assuming you're in the top 3 (of the people who have enough self confidence to blurt out their grades for attention)? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

As for the cell phones ringing in class - how hard is it to turn your cell phone on vibrate, seriously? I think a lecturing professor has the right to get rid of any distractions that will detract from their lecture for the benefit of all students. As stated previously, I'm sure you won't be dumb enough to forget to turn your phone off next time.

I am an honour roll student for first and second year( top in the class)distinctions in biochem and physiology...third year sailing in the top three till the proffessional exam comes so that i can top again...;) does that answer your ambiguity?

I hope you will be able to act (coz it doesnot reflect from your words that you are by some accident of nature) more HUMAN next time you type a post.:):thumbup: