1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Class Sizes

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by coldchemist, Mar 25, 2004.

1. coldchemist

coldchemist Biowulf
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Oodles of rejections and multiple waitlists here. When I started planning for the application process, I created charts and worksheets and looked at dozens of variables for each of the schools that interested me...now I'm thinking that there was one variable I REALLY should have considered. I found it extremely difficult to find information on the number of places each program has to offer. A lot of my rejections (and some waitlists) came from schools with very small class sizes (four or less). Does anyone know of any resources that compile these numbers?

Habari: If there aren't any readily available resources, this might be a great item to add to the website!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. noy

noy Senioritis Member
    7+ Year Member

Do any MSTP programs have class sizes that small? 4 spots? The least I have heard about is 6 or so per year. Most of the MSTP programs seemed to be about 10/year, depending on funding... And Penn/WashU having lots of seats from outside funding sources...

Anyone have numbers that indicate otherwise?

4. coldchemist

coldchemist Biowulf
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    True, the more prestigious programs have much bigger classes--but I didn't apply to any of those programs. Two examples: Tufts' MSTP currently enrolls 4 students each year, and I believe Georgetown takes 3.

5. labfiend

labfiend Member
    7+ Year Member

Mayo enrolls 2/year, I believe. There are definitely some tiny programs out there. With waitlists, though, you should be ok, coldchemist--it sucks to not know until May/June, but from everything folks say, plenty of people get into MSTPs off the waitlists. Good luck!

6. coldchemist

coldchemist Biowulf
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Thanks! I am definitely learning that patience is an art form.