Classes "expiring" what can I do???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

losinghair

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the DAT yesterday. didn't score horribly, but not competitive. I know I can retake it and do just fine the second time but It's impossible to make it in this cycle. I'm ok with that, but now I have to deal with the fact that no school will accept sciences that are more than five years old. when applying for 2012 Ill be a year past that with my Foundations of biology and g-chem. Has anyone had to deal with this before or know someone who has? Im really upset about such a stupid rule. A good score on the DAT would obviously prove I have a handle on the material. I feel like I have to go back to kindergarten here.

Does anyone know what they want you to do? Is it the same classes they want you to retake, or is it just an upper level class? How am I supposed to do this? I have no funding for this and student loans won't cover one or two classes. If anyone has dealt with this in the past I would greatly appreciate your help!:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

How many schools do you count that wont accept pre-reqs past 5 years? I count only a small handful (namely Loma Linda; Maryland has a 10 year limit); the rest dont care from my understanding.

wat are you talking about? this doesnt exist, ive never even heard of this. Maybe the schools i applied to do not have this rule. I know schools dont want an old DAT score (as in 2 years old or more i think) but i've never heard of anyone having to repeat classes because they're "expired"......then how do people get into dental school when they decide to change professions? or if they decide to do dentistry after like 3-4 years out of undergrad? I'm sure some of these people decide to do a masters or something to help their chances but i dont know what you mean by classes expiring, thats weird.

wat are you talking about? this doesnt exist, ive never even heard of this. Maybe the schools i applied to do not have this rule. I know schools dont want an old DAT score (as in 2 years old or more i think) but i've never heard of anyone having to repeat classes because they're "expired"......then how do people get into dental school when they decide to change professions? or if they decide to do dentistry after like 3-4 years out of undergrad? I'm sure some of these people decide to do a masters or something to help their chances but i dont know what you mean by classes expiring, thats weird.

Weird? try insanely stupid! Yes, Im talking about Loma Linda. I don't understand it, and it makes no sense. basically, if you don't get in the first year out of undergrad your F'd. How they justify it I do not know. extremely frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
my original post has a typo. I mean "one school wont accept sciences over five years old" not "no school" sorry. other schools aren't an option of me however. Im SDA and Loma linda is my school of choice

maybe if you can, apply to different schools whom dont have such strange rules/regulations. Call up diff dental schools or look on their websites for such restrictions if they have them. thats really terrible if this does exist everywhere! i wasnt aware.

my original post has a typo. I mean "one school wont accept sciences over five years old" not "no school" sorry. other schools aren't an option of me however. Im SDA and Loma linda is my school of choice
You're only applying to one school? Hope you have a strong app. With or without a high DAT.

You're only applying to one school? Hope you have a strong app. With or without a high DAT.

I have an extremely strong app yes. The dean of admissions words. I only applied there because I came into things late in the cycle. LLU was the only school on my list still open to admissions.