Classes impacting my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0pefulD0c

AZCOM Class 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to see what you thought of my current situation. I have a few red flags on my application I believe, and I wanted to see just how bad they look. During my undergrad I had a bad slump my sophomore to junior year. This included a D in gen chem 2, then a retake with an F and a withdrawal from orgo 2. I had to stay in gen chem 2 or else I would have lost financial aid, unfortunately. I also have a C in anatomy lecture, and a C in biochem during that time. After that, however, I turned it around and pulled an A in organic chem and a 3.42 average in my professional program (Clinical Laboratory Scientist). I'm now working full time, volunteering, and shadowing and just finished physics I with an A in lecture and lab. Assuming I can pull an A in gen chem 2, and I can get A's in the rest of the classes I have to take, will it be enough (it will be about 28 hours of a 4.0 which I think is very doable, I have gen bio 1 and 2, physics 2, and genetics I'm planning on taking)? I can't currently retake anatomy or biochem due to my work schedule. My stats if I finish with all A's will be about a 3.35 cgpa and a 3.45 sgpa, MCAT pending. I will also have 100+ hrs volunteering at a hospital on the surgery floor, 100+ hours volunteering through church, and 100+ hours shadowing DO's with strong LoRs, and a few minor leadership activities from my undergrad.

What MCAT if any, would make me fairly competitive. I have a few schools I'd like to get into more than others, but honestly I'll go wherever I get accepted.

Sorry for the long post, and I appreciate everyone looking this over.

Members don't see this ad.

You said you shadowed a DO, I assume you are applying to DO programs as well. If that is the case I would retake some more courses and pull your GPA up. You could easily raise it to above a 3.5-3.6. If you do that and get a 28+ on your MCAT then you would be almost done...

You still need a ton of clinical experience which you are currently lacking. I see enough shadowing but you are going to need more than 100+ hours of clinical exp. This is crucial.

For MD, I would say shoot for the straight A's and get that upward trend going. If you score a 31+ on your MCAT and apply broadly you should get in somewhere. Maybe consider taking more classes after graduating and get A's in them.

To clarify, the volunteering on the surgery floor is patient contact based (which is the same as clinical, correct?), and I am planning on DO schools. Am I just out of luck for this cycle of applications for DO schools with my stats? I need a 3.5-3.6 to be competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify, the volunteering on the surgery floor is patient contact based (which is the same as clinical, correct?), and I am planning on DO schools. Am I just out of luck for this cycle of applications for DO schools with my stats? I need a 3.5-3.6 to be competitive?

You are talking about applying in June correct? If that is the case, I would sign up for a couple of courses this spring and retake the classes you did bad in. That would really help you out.

Yea that would be clinical for sure. I am just saying, try to get some more hours racked up before you apply. Maybe double what you have now or more if possible?

Score a 25 on MCAT or higher and you're pretty much fine for any DO school.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to see what you thought of my current situation. I have a few red flags on my application I believe, and I wanted to see just how bad they look. During my undergrad I had a bad slump my sophomore to junior year. This included a D in gen chem 2, then a retake with an F and a withdrawal from orgo 2. I had to stay in gen chem 2 or else I would have lost financial aid, unfortunately. I also have a C in anatomy lecture, and a C in biochem during that time. After that, however, I turned it around and pulled an A in organic chem and a 3.42 average in my professional program (Clinical Laboratory Scientist). I'm now working full time, volunteering, and shadowing and just finished physics I with an A in lecture and lab. Assuming I can pull an A in gen chem 2, and I can get A's in the rest of the classes I have to take, will it be enough (it will be about 28 hours of a 4.0 which I think is very doable, I have gen bio 1 and 2, physics 2, and genetics I'm planning on taking)? I can't currently retake anatomy or biochem due to my work schedule. My stats if I finish with all A's will be about a 3.35 cgpa and a 3.45 sgpa, MCAT pending. I will also have 100+ hrs volunteering at a hospital on the surgery floor, 100+ hours volunteering through church, and 100+ hours shadowing DO's with strong LoRs, and a few minor leadership activities from my undergrad.

What MCAT if any, would make me fairly competitive. I have a few schools I'd like to get into more than others, but honestly I'll go wherever I get accepted.

Sorry for the long post, and I appreciate everyone looking this over.

I would recommend retaking biochem simply because it's soon being implemented as a requirement or preferable elective by many medical schools. Your performance on Gen Chem 2 is redeemable, so I don't think it'll hold you back from getting accepted if you can finally pull it off. Get an MCAT around a 27+ to be on the safer side of admissions.

Thanks for all of your help everyone, I appreciate it.