Classes taken more than 15 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacklee70

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
All,

I am trying to get into the pharmacy schools in Texas. I had taken courses in CHEM I and II, Physics, Calculus I, and other non science classes about 15 years ago. Now, I am finishing up with the rest of pre-pharmacy classes, all science classes.

Does anyone know if the classes taken more than fifteen years ago still count? Do I have to retake the science classes?

I try without success to get an answer from the TX schools. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe at the University of Houston they would be accepted. I tried browsing the websites for that school, and the other Texas schools, but I couldn't find any definitive information. The best thing to do would be to call the admissions office at each school you're interested in applying to.

I can tell you my experience from one school, buy they are all likely going to be different. If they won't tell you, you need to keep calling or look on their website to find out.

In the case that I know of, the pharm school only took classes taken within the past 5 years. SOME classes could be petitioned (ie you took it 7 years ago, the course was biology, and you've worked in a biology lab for 3 years would be ok). I highly doubt that they would take any science courses from that long ago, but MAYBE some english, math, or the likes. Also, check your grades in those courses. If they were good, then pursure it, if they were so so, it might be better to re-take them. At the school that I speak of, any coursework older than 5 years could NOT count against you (ie. you take orgo and fail, then you apply in 5 years, after taking orgo and getting a 4.0 and they ONLY "see" the 4.0).

But, generally science coursework expires fast (~5 years), and I would guess that even non-science coursework would expire after 15 years. 15 years ago, I was 8! Call/Email the school, there's no way around it and if they're not replying, something's wrong. That's the admissions office/counselor's job! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jacklee70
I try without success to get an answer from the TX schools. Please help.

For Texas Tech try to call/email Ms. Summer Balcer. She helped me when I applied there. Her email address is [email protected] and phone # (806) 354-5463 Ext. 295

Thanks you all for the info. I will check again with the schools.

Yeah, not to sound harsh or anything, but you need to call them. Not just bc it's making you do it, but bc a lot of this is amenable to negotiating with the school. You need to be proactive. I got a bunch of my pre-reqs accepted that technically shouldn't have bc i spoke with the admissions director. you have to do the same, otherwise you're wasting precious time. Time is worth waaaaaay waaaay more than money.