Classes to take before Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cure0008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which classes should I take before medical school?

EITHER
Lab in Biochemistry
OR
Lab in Cell Biology

AND 3 OF THE FOLLOWING

Quantitative Genetics
Molecular Genetics
Developmental Biology
Histology: Cell and Tissue Organization
Endocrinology
Introduction to Neuroscience
Immunology

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

EITHER
Lab in Biochemistry
OR
Lab in Cell Biology

AND 3 OF THE FOLLOWING

Quantitative Genetics
Molecular Genetics
Developmental Biology
Histology: Cell and Tissue Organization
Endocrinology
Immunology

Thanks
neither lab seems that useful to me, but I'm still in undergrad so what do I know. :D

immunology, molecular genetics and histology.
Biochem lab.
Fun right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, this is a curious post... well at least from my level of experience. It's like asking which ice cream flavor to get. Totally depends on you, your interests, what aspects you like. I think all of them would be useful once you are in medschool.

That said, here is my personal preference:
Biochem lab. I love biochem.

Immunology, molecular genetics and can't decide between quantitative genetics or embryology.

Just according to my taste.

PS, My mind leapt from developmental bio to embryo. If that class is not a pseudonym for embryo, then I'd go with quantitative genetics.

Well the reason I asked this question was I was wondering which classes will be the most helpful when I am in med school.

As for my interests, I did select these classes from a list of classes since I believe I will- to a degree- enjoy them.

My suggestions

EITHER
Lab in Biochemistry
OR
Lab in Cell Biology <-- almost random selection on my part

AND 3 OF THE FOLLOWING

Quantitative Genetics
Molecular Genetics
Developmental Biology <-- i personally hate embryology, so taking an undergrad course that fulfills major requirements and starts you out in embryo is a good idea--note: embryo is still a pretty small portion of med school, so if you were gonna toss out any of my suggestions this would be the one i'd suggest
Histology: Cell and Tissue Organization <-- easy class in med school
Endocrinology <-- people in my class seemed to have a rough time with endocrinology
Immunology <-- also a class people seemed to have a rough time with

Thanks

Hello,

I took public speaking at a community college during my last semester of high school but did really poorly(got a C) as I did not know that I could take the class P/F. Do you think that AMCAS will consider that class as part of the cGPA for medical school? I also took a english class (got an A) there as a prereq for my university's writing requirement and so my university has both those classes on my current transcript.

Well the reason I asked this question was I was wondering which classes will be the most helpful when I am in med school.

As for my interests, I did select these classes from a list of classes since I believe I will- to a degree- enjoy them.
My understanding is that these will not help you that much once you get into medical school. The material may not be as new to you, but it will go into much more detail once your there and it won't give you an edge for very long, if at all.

My understanding is that these will not help you that much once you get into medical school. The material may not be as new to you, but it will go into much more detail once your there and it won't give you an edge for very long, if at all.
Not entirely true. You'll just be expected to memorize more of the detail, and most of what you learn will be taught from a medical perspective. It's definitely helpful to take classes like those. I wouldn't go out of my way to take those classes if they didn't fulfill any graduation requirements, but if they do fulfill requirements and you can get good grades in them, go for it.

Not entirely true. You'll just be expected to memorize more of the detail, and most of what you learn will be taught from a medical perspective. It's definitely helpful to take classes like those. I wouldn't go out of my way to take those classes if they didn't fulfill any graduation requirements, but if they do fulfill requirements and you can get good grades in them, go for it.

I do have to take 3 of the classes posted in order to graduate while completing them I also want to take the classes that will help me the most in med school.

I do have to take 3 of the classes posted in order to graduate while completing them I also want to take the classes that will help me the most in med school.
Then you've got my suggestions :)

Immuno , molecular genetics, histo. Either lab would b fine I would take biochem lab

Immuno , molecular genetics, histo. Either lab would b fine I would take biochem lab
I just want to remind people that genetics and histo are both some of the easier courses in med school. So far, they're BY FAR easier than the rest in my opinion.

Good to know. In your opinion, which are the more challenging courses in medschool? This maybe another way to finding more insight for the OP to make a decision.

Like tncekm was sort of saying, I wouldn't take any classes you aren't required to unless you just want to. Nothing you do in undergrad is going to be the effort you'll spend if it's med school prep you have in mind. If you're interested in the class, fire away, but don't sign up thinking you'll have an advantage afterward. You won't.

Immunology, Genetics, and Histology...easily

The reason for this is that all 3 of them are taught relatively cursorily in med school compared to say biochem, anatomy, or neuro. If you took entire courses on these, you probably cover exactly the same amount, or maybe even more material, than in medical school.

Like tncekm was sort of saying, I wouldn't take any classes you aren't required to unless you just want to. Nothing you do in undergrad is going to be the effort you'll spend if it's med school prep you have in mind. If you're interested in the class, fire away, but don't sign up thinking you'll have an advantage afterward. You won't.

I would disagree for a few of these courses. Histology is not covered in great detail in medical school. We had ~20 students in our class that took Histology together at an affiliated undergrad institution nearby and found it FAR more difficult than what we had in medical school. They utterly smoked this portion of the course. I studied with one of these guys and he knew everything before we covered it. He also took an undergrad course in immuno and said it was the same story. Genetics is so simplistic as it is, that an undergrad course might be overkill, but at least you'll know it.

I would disagree for a few of these courses. Histology is not covered in great detail in medical school. We had ~20 students in our class that took Histology together at an affiliated undergrad institution nearby and found it FAR more difficult than what we had in medical school. They utterly smoked this portion of the course. I studied with one of these guys and he knew everything before we covered it. He also took an undergrad course in immuno and said it was the same story. Genetics is so simplistic as it is, that an undergrad course might be overkill, but at least you'll know it.
Well, I think you've inadvertently highlighted my logic behind taking the other courses :) Histo and genetics are pretty basic as it is, so why not take the courses that are a bit more difficult so when you see the material again in med school you don't struggle as much.

Well, I think you've inadvertently highlighted my logic behind taking the other courses :) Histo and genetics are pretty basic as it is, so why not take the courses that are a bit more difficult so when you see the material again in med school you don't struggle as much.

To be honest, I was an engineering major and never took any of those courses in undergrad so I can only go on what I saw from my classmates.

In medical school, most of the other courses (anatomy, neuro, biochem, physio) are different in that they are taught in a clinical manner. Furthermore, the material covered in the latter two seemed highly dependent on what the instructor was researching at the time. Immuno, histo, and genetics are taught exactly the same way as they are in undergrad. For that reason I think you'd get more out of them.

I will also say that, despite not being taught in great detail, histo made up about 33% of one our courses and Immuno made up about 25%, points wise. So mastering them may give you an edge. Also, the histo shelf exam was a huge chunk of our grade and it was easy for those that took the undergrad course.

I just finished taking a grad level physiology--and I asked our teacher how much material we learned compared to what we will learn in medical school... It was very difficult & she told us that we only got 2/3 of the material and we had more time to learn it!

So, since I thought it was hard--and we only got 2/3 of what medical students learn... I am going to say take physiology if that is offered...

Looks like maybe not.... IMO, biochem lab would be helpful if you are interested in lab work, we did some basic assays in my biochem lab that translated to working in a molecular genetics lab. As for the others, the med students are WAY more qualified than I am.. but my two cents may mean a tiny bit...

Those listed below are relevant to what will be covered in med school...

Developmental Biology <--this would probably be helpful
Histology: Cell and Tissue Organization <--probably extremely relevant, but the others seem like they would be more helpful -- histo isn't so bad to learn for the 1st time
Endocrinology <-- This can get tricky at times; lots of material -- if you have a good teacher--you could be ahead of the game by knocking this one out
Introduction to Neuroscience <--hey, if it makes neuro easier in med school, go for it
Immunology <--this class can be really difficult if you don't have a great teacher, but if you do--it would be well worth it to take it now & have a knowledge base established for when you are in med school.

Last edited: