Classes to take before taking MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Invinhsible86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm actually posting this for a friend who's trying to get her prereqs done. she's trying to get ochem1, physics 1, and genetics done over the summer. Now I understand that some people may be able to do it..and she's not going to have a job or anything while taking these classes. BUT I still don't think she should try to cram all these classes over the summer especially ochem and genetics. Her grade might suffer and most of all she might not learn it right. I told her to take ochem and physics over the summer, if she really must have it done before fall sem. then Take ochem 2 in the fall and genetics in the spring. *side note: she's a social work major and has to take her major classes during the fall and spring so she's trying to get her premed stuff in summer and just one or two in the fall and spring*. She's concerned though that she won't be preparred for MCAT if she doesn't have that genetics completed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought MCAT topics were subjects that were gone over in Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, Ochem 1&2, and Physics 1&2?? Does she really need to have taken genetics before the mcats??? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the person. The AAMC says that the only classes required for the MCAT are Bio, Gen Chem, Organic, and Physics.

There are two ways to look at taking extra classes.
1) By taking the extra classes, you are keeping the basic biology concepts fresh in your mind so you'll do better.
2) Taking more in-depth classes increases the depth of knowledge on complex topics that potentially will come up on the test.

My personal experience is that you don't need to take them. I scored well without them, but others swear by them. In the end, you can't really say if they would or wouldn't have helped after the fact.

I think it depends on how indepth you classes are. Most bio classes cover most of the genetics that are on the exam. But if you get a passage on it, does having genetics help you understand the data? Of course, but any person could have gotten the same thing by doing a prep course (or just reading the books) as well.

If your friend feels that they have the concepts mastered for the prereqs then I would suggest she just do a prep class. You don't really need the classes but they would help in the passages to be able to clearly understand the topic. You'll learn topics more in depth which might help you get through some of passages quicker.

Most of the practice MCATs I took were VERY light on Genetics, and the questions usually don't go much deeper than punnet (sp?) squares. Any prep company should more than prepare her for the genetics portion. I would say she should definitely take Ochem 1, but 2's not that necessary as long as she studies some prep company material. I took it without taking Ochem2, Physics2, Genetics, Micro, Physiology, or Biochem, and got an 11 PS and 10 BS, 31 overall. My first diag was a 17. I took a 6 wk TPR condensed class over winter break and supplemented with EK, and took AAMC 8 and 10. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks everyone for the info. it will definitely help her in making up her schedule. thank you again.

Is it reccomended to prepare and take the mcat over the summer while taking physics 1 and 2? I have already taken bio1 and 2 and gen. chem 1 and 2 and ochem 1 and 2 and calculas and genetics.

Is it reccomended to prepare and take the mcat over the summer while taking physics 1 and 2? I have already taken bio1 and 2 and gen. chem 1 and 2 and ochem 1 and 2 and calculas and genetics.

I might would try if I was you. Physics is the hardest part to me; therefore, as you learn the material for Physics you can study for the MCAT and bring it all together at the end. If you are good with the Verbal section, I definitely think you wll have the time to get everything in. Try not to work though and stay focused for the summer.

i'm actually posting this for a friend who's trying to get her prereqs done. she's trying to get ochem1, physics 1, and genetics done over the summer. Now I understand that some people may be able to do it..and she's not going to have a job or anything while taking these classes. BUT I still don't think she should try to cram all these classes over the summer especially ochem and genetics. Her grade might suffer and most of all she might not learn it right. I told her to take ochem and physics over the summer, if she really must have it done before fall sem. then Take ochem 2 in the fall and genetics in the spring. *side note: she's a social work major and has to take her major classes during the fall and spring so she's trying to get her premed stuff in summer and just one or two in the fall and spring*. She's concerned though that she won't be preparred for MCAT if she doesn't have that genetics completed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought MCAT topics were subjects that were gone over in Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, Ochem 1&2, and Physics 1&2?? Does she really need to have taken genetics before the mcats??? thanks!

My advice with 10 years experience. Take Ochem I and Phys I over the summer. They both are hard courses period and she will have her hands full with just them. Then take Phys II in the fall. Genetics for the MCAT can be learned from a book. The class is more indepth than you typically need for the MCAT. You can take the MCAT without Org Chem II although if you have the time take it before. Also, I think a physiology class is more important than the genetics. The key is when does she want to take the MCATs?