Classes you regret not taking in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jennifer5109

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone regrets not taking a particular class in undergrad. I searched for this topic, but came up blank. Are there any courses that you think might have been extremely beneficial, but was not part of the required classes? I'd appreciate any insights.

Members don't see this ad.

Public speaking/communcations

-Probably the most helpful class for the health professions, outside of volunteering, of course.

I regret not taking a fun class my senior year. Most of my friends took some sort of artsy type class (textiles, jewelry, etc.), while I spent senior year taking all practical classes. Had I taken a fun class then, it probably would have kept me more sane.

Members don't see this ad :)
Photography. I took a bunch of fun classes throughout, but my arts classes were all music, and my fun classes sr year were Greek mythology, Roman Lit, and Shakespeare. I really wish I knew how to use a camera more than just point and shoot.

Greek mythology - would have been fun.
History classes - I'm very dumb when it comes to history.
Education courses - I love working with kids. It would have been fun to have a class about that. We have a 'psychology of play' course that is supposedly incredible.

A few education classes. At my undergrad, at least 70% of the girls in the education school were very attractive. :)

I'm wondering if anyone regrets not taking a particular class in undergrad. I searched for this topic, but came up blank. Are there any courses that you think might have been extremely beneficial, but was not part of the required classes? I'd appreciate any insights.

I have more classes I regret *taking*. Like anthropology and modern British drama. I would have taken Spanish for overall usefulness, and theater for fun. But you can never go wrong with a media class, like graphic design or digital photography. They'll teach you skills that you'll use more than you'd think, even as a pre-med.

(Says the art major- take it with a grain of salt!)

spanish courses to complete my spanish minor, Psychology.

non-calculus based physics.

Nice.

Philosophy - no question about it. I filled my phil requirement with a course in logic. That's the only thing that I would have legitimately taken with hindsight - if I did neuro in college then grad school would be boring.

If you're talking about applicability in med school, I wish I had taken biochem, although I did fine in it in med school. 1-2 classes in biochem would probably give you a head start on metabolism, which is heavily waited on the national shelf exam.

Also, I'd recommend an anatomy class if your school offers one. I learned a lot at mine, and it served me well for gross.

Spanish would also be fun. Other than that, just have fun. You'll have to re-learn everything at med school anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I probably would have benefited by a public speaking course. I really wish there was a modern military history course but I don't know of one.

I probably would have benefited by a public speaking course. I really wish there was a modern military history course but I don't know of one.

professor here actually taught a history of US military course, as well as history of WWI, history of WWII, (took all 3 of those) and Chinese naval history or something. sadly he passed away over the summer. actually saw him on the history channel once.

i love military history...and history in general.

Greek mythology - would have been fun.
History classes - I'm very dumb when it comes to history.
Education courses - I love working with kids. It would have been fun to have a class about that. We have a 'psychology of play' course that is supposedly incredible.

I took that course and I can assure you that it was anything but fun...

It was actually a cool class, but man some of the English students/professors are just ridiculous.

I wish I had taken Psych of Sexuality. That looked like a fun class, plus you get credit for watching dirty movies. :)

I tried to find a class that I could actually get into (ROTC as a pre-req) that did military history/strategy. Although I bet it sounds weird, I think it'd be really cool to learn about how the different techniques of flanking and such came to be. For example, in Saving Private Ryan, they talk about how Tom Hanks' character created a model that is still used to attack fortified positions - thought it'd be cool to study more stories like that.

Scriptwriting, photography (tried to audit it one quarter, but it just wasn't the same), more Arabic, film courses, linguistics, history of science.

I should have done a linguistics major or possibly something in film studies.

My bio undergrad degree is pretty frickin' useless. Since I took such a wide array of courses (primate course, ecology, mammalian bio, biogeography, etc.), none of which built on each other, I've basically forgotten most everything I learned. It's pretty frustrating, in comparison to the math, etc. that I learned and managed to retain... the survey-level bio courses I took were just too general and too memorization based (as opposed to problem-solving based)... I'd definitely choose a different course if I could redo that experience.

I tried to find a class that I could actually get into (ROTC as a pre-req) that did military history/strategy. Although I bet it sounds weird, I think it'd be really cool to learn about how the different techniques of flanking and such came to be. For example, in Saving Private Ryan, they talk about how Tom Hanks' character created a model that is still used to attack fortified positions - thought it'd be cool to study more stories like that.

i was in ROTC freshman year for the fun of it. didn't really learn anything, don't think they teach it until more advanced 3rd or 4th years. If you're interested in military history and strategy, i'd recommend WWII nonfiction books. I've read some great ones ab Rommel, how hes able to defeat larger Allied forces time after time.

my school offers an advanced anatomy class that uses the syllabus from a medical school. Should I take that? It would be during my senior year, and probably will be painful.

non-calculus based physics.

haha! i almost fell in to that trap, but ended up learning about non-calculus base physics in just the nick of time. my school doesn't offer it so i was late in learning about the option and went to seek it elsewhere.

i'm sorry you had to suffer :rolleyes:

my school offers an advanced anatomy class that uses the syllabus from a medical school. Should I take that? It would be during my senior year, and probably will be painful.

i'm biased as a kines major but yeaaaa you should take it! :)

take it only if you actually will enjoy learning about it though cuz youll be getting it again whenever you start med school.

Yoga=good looking girls

i regret not taking chem 101 -- the pre-review for gen chem. i wouldn't have gotten credit for it, but it would have boosted my science gpa :hardy:

Wine and Beers. I took Intro to Wine Tasting, but if I also took Wine and Beers I could have gotten blitzed 3 afternoons a week during my last semester.

Wine and Beers. I took Intro to Wine Tasting, but if I also took Wine and Beers I could have gotten blitzed 3 afternoons a week during my last semester.

That's awesome that your school offered that class! Sounds like it made for interesting afternoons:cool:

I took that course and I can assure you that it was anything but fun...

It was actually a cool class, but man some of the English students/professors are just ridiculous.

Dude, mythology was a beast.

I remember thinking it was going to be cake, but that final was a killer. I remember these huge lists of character names that you had to match up with descriptions.

I got a B.

That's awesome that your school offered that class! Sounds like it made for interesting afternoons:cool:

Wednesdays our nights started at 3:30. Ah, college.

I regret taking every class I have ever taken. But I particularly regret not going to mexio one and a half times a year for two and a half years and then making it sound like I have saved the world on my application.

I remember thinking it was going to be cake, but that final was a killer. I remember these huge lists of character names that you had to match up with descriptions.

I got a B.

Haha. I got a "B" too. It really kicked my @ss. I used it as an add-on course to pad my load, but I was in for a huuuuge surprise. Man, I don't know if you remember the number of pages you had to read, but I'm thinking it was somewhere in the 6,000's.

Did you get the exams where you were give a brief line from a classic (whatever 3-5 books you had to read that time :rolleyes:) and had to be able to write an essay about who the author was, what book it was, who said it, why they said it and who they were talking to? Plus, the research paper was a nightmare... I'm just glad it's over. Hey, at least we can both say we did it though. :)

American Sign Language (scheduled every semester when I had to go to work), and Spanish (but I've since taken Spanish).

Classes my school offers that I'm going to wish I took - I already regret it...

#1 Immunology
#2 Microbiology
#3 Neurobiology
#4 Molecular Biology
#5 Spanish

Classes my school DOESN'T offer that I'm going to wish I took -

#1 Human Anatomy
#2 Human Physiology

Classes I should have taken because the subjects interest me:

- American Sign Language (If I didn't get in anywhere I was going to spend a year taking some courses)
- Business/Finance/Accounting Classes (b/c it's just practical)
- Psychology Classes
- Probably other courses that would have made college "fun"

Japanese - I think it would be hard, but fun.

Accounting/Finance - Sure as hell could use it right now.

More philosophy and political science

Immunology

More Psychology

More business classes.

More math classes and less statistics.

Classes my school offers that I'm going to wish I took - I already regret it...

#1 Immunology
#2 Microbiology
#3 Neurobiology
#4 Molecular Biology
#5 Spanish

Classes my school DOESN'T offer that I'm going to wish I took -

#1 Human Anatomy
#2 Human Physiology

Classes I should have taken because the subjects interest me:

- American Sign Language (If I didn't get in anywhere I was going to spend a year taking some courses)
- Business/Finance/Accounting Classes (b/c it's just practical)
- Psychology Classes
- Probably other courses that would have made college "fun"

Dude, you are going to go to med school to learn that stuff (except for spanish). Undergrad isn't supposed to be medschool-lite...

I really wish there was a modern military history course but I don't know of one.

i took us military history from the first female combat pilot commanding officer in military history (or something similar, can't remember exactly). it was an awesome class (but hard) and she was a cool lady.

i wished i'd have taken some econ. i want to make sense of people's arguments about the economic feasibility of healthcare plan xyz by myself instead of just regurgitating what other people have told me.

def sad that I didn't take intermediate sailing and photography, but decided to take only 8 credits and pay less for my last semester

Underwater Basketweaving 101

I got a B.

characters with descriptions? hah! i got characters to match with obscure quotes. proof just wanted to make sure we didn't all just read the summaries. 33.3% of our exam. :thumbdown:

By the way, how come there are episode by episode summaries of House on wikipedia but no book by book summary on homer's odyssey?

Honestly, I regret my whole major. I only chose biology because I thought it was what I was supposed to do, and by the time I realized it involved a lot of stuff I could care less about (including two damn terms of calc) it was too late.

I would much rather have majored in public health or even psychology. I am just now taking my first public health class and it has been my favorite and most beneficial class ever!

My last term before I graduate I am taking a health economics class, group piano lessons, pilates, step aerobics, a teaching and counseling class, and the last two classes I need to graduate. Bottom line, take what sounds interesting, not just what you think will look good.

Oh yea, and SPANISH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I wish I knew spanish right now!