Classification of "Science" LOR and Contesting Classifcation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljhall2

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am applying to the 2018 cycle. I am trying to get letters of recommendation from "science" professors. One professor I am asking is my Biochemical Nutrition professor. In my perspective this counts as science because it was very biochemistry heavy and focused mostly on metabolism. Under AAMC guidelines, nutrition counts as a non science. I heard there was a way to contest the classification of a letter but I am not sure how. Does anyone know about this?
Here is the course description:
"Biochemistry and metabolism of the water and fat soluble vitamins and minerals. Emphasizes the digestion, transport, metabolism and intercellular functions of these nutrients and how diet/food intake and physiological states affect these processes."

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Usually anything that is "heard" is misinformation at best and should be researched using that complicated and complex software google. Perhaps you have heard of it

1) AMCAS doesnt have science: it has BCPM. This is a classification used for course work and GPA calculation
2) AMCAS classify courses by content and not title. If your official college course description from the term you took the course fits that content, it will be classified as BCPM. You can classify it as such yourself as there is no penalty anymore if AMCAS changes it back
3) Letters are defined by each school; AMCAS has nothing to do with letters except as a forwarding service.
4) You need to see what each school requires as well as how each letter would likely be seen/read by an adcom. That is, if the course/professor is "science" enough. Use your judgement
5) Letters are, in my opinion, the least strict to listed requirements. You are not likely to be rejected on technical grounds for not having the precise letter definition. Math, engineering, computer science, psych, etc usually pass muster but again, check each school's website for info and insight.
6) Are you using a committee letter? if so then the school's individual requirements do not apply
7) Above all, the quality of the letter is most important even if the connection to science is weak
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your information. For the record, I had "heard" this from two other students who I am no longer in contact with, thus I couldn't ask them. I did actually use google to research the topic, but didn't find any relevant information. Instead of assuming it is false, I decided it intelligent to ask this forum. Thank you again for your reply, though I didn't appreciate the sarcasm.

Who was being sarcastic?
"Perhaps you have heard of it [Google], a "complicated and complex software".
I took this as sarcasm and an implication that I was too lazy or foolish to try to find the answer on my own. Once again, I appreciate your help and efforts because I have no one to ask these questions and I find some aspects of the application cycle ambiguous at times. I simply want to be sure I am prepared for the opening of the application cycle with the appropriate material, including LORs from acceptable sources. I find SDN an incredibly helpful resource and simply didn't appreciated you attempting to make me feel bad for asking a question. Thank you for the sincere information following it and hope you have a good rest of the evening.

lmao :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Usually anything that is "heard" is misinformation at best and should be researched using that complicated and complex software google. Perhaps you have heard of it

1) AMCAS doesnt have science: it has BCPM. This is a classification used for course work and GPA calculation
2) AMCAS classify courses by content and not title. If your official college course description from the term you took the course fits that content, it will be classified as BCPM. You can classify it as such yourself as there is no penalty anymore if AMCAS changes it back
3) Letters are defined by each school; AMCAS has nothing to do with letters except as a forwarding service.
4) You need to see what each school requires as well as how each letter would likely be seen/read by an adcom. That is, if the course/professor is "science" enough. Use your judgement
5) Letters are, in my opinion, the least strict to listed requirements. You are not likely to be rejected on technical grounds for not having the precise letter definition. Math, engineering, computer science, psych, etc usually pass muster but again, check each school's website for info and insight.
6) Are you using a committee letter? if so then the school's individual requirements do not apply
7) Above all, the quality of the letter is most important even if the connection to science is weak