Classify my experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immonpath

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So originally I was supposed to be volunteering in the er but it entailed basically doing clerical work and stocking supplies but a member of staff scooped me up under his wing and we were browsing all the departments of the hospital introducing me to all the doctors of the hospital. At first I classified it as shadowing until I helped place a cast on a patient.
Would it be okay to start classifying this as clinical experience?
Thanks for the future responses.

Members don't see this ad.

No.

What idiot let you do that anyway?

If you're just following the doctor, it's shadowing.
If you're doing useful things like filing, it's volunteering.

why is he an idiot for letting me help?
I don't think your post was as helpful as you may have thought.
your two basic definitions still don't classify my experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
why is he an idiot for letting me help?
I don't think your post was as helpful as you may have thought.
your two basic definitions still don't classify my experience.
What did you know that allowed you to do anything?

You're shadowing, that's it.

I agree that it should be classified as shadowing; one event does not qualify it as more than that.

That being said, how exactly are you organizing your ECs? The closest AMCAS category that I'm aware of is "Volunteer - Clinical." Isn't that what you would use for shadowing, thus making it a clinical experience anyway?

So originally I was supposed to be volunteering in the er but it entailed basically doing clerical work and stocking supplies but a member of staff scooped me up under his wing and we were browsing all the departments of the hospital introducing me to all the doctors of the hospital. At first I classified it as shadowing until I helped place a cast on a patient.
Would it be okay to start classifying this as clinical experience?
Thanks for the future responses.

Clinical experience would be working as a scrub tech in the OR while orthosurg did an open reduction and plastered a cast. And taking a tour of the hospital isn't shadowing, it's taking a tour of the hospital. Shadowing would be taking a tour of the hospital at 6am while following your preceptor on hospital rounds, then attending clinic with the guy from 8-5, asking questions and discussing pathophysiology as you go. If you saw multiple patients with this ER doc, particularly if it's something you do every day now instead of filing, then yeah that's shadowing.

What did you know that allowed you to do anything?

You're shadowing, that's it.
cant you smell patients when shadowing? does it count a clinical experience?
lol

I see where you guys are coming from calling it shadowing but I have helped out as well
like getting blankets, transporting pts, etc, etc
and oh yes I can smell the patients ;)

I see where you guys are coming from calling it shadowing but I have helped out as well
like getting blankets, transporting pts, etc, etc
and oh yes I can smell the patients ;)
Your original post stated that you were an ED vol until a doc took you out to play duckling and then you got to do a cast.

If your primary function is an ED vol and the shadowing is a minimal incidental part, it is clinical volunteering.

If you're only doing your job as an ED vol when no one's around to let you follow them, then it's shadowing.

If you're only doing your job as an ED vol when no one's around to let you follow them, then it's shadowing.

Ok thanks I call it clinical volunteering but I think that part of your post did you mean to say "then its just volunteering".

Ok thanks I call it clinical volunteering but I think that part of your post did you mean to say "then its just volunteering".
No, I meant what I said. :cool: If you're there for 4 hours, and 3 45 of it, you're a duckling, it's shadowing. 15 minutes of real work does not equal volunteering.

No, I meant what I said. :cool: If you're there for 4 hours, and 3 45 of it, you're a duckling, it's shadowing. 15 minutes of real work does not equal volunteering.

oh oh ok cool
excuse me :)
thanks for all the help I will base it on what I do the majority of the time