Clear nasal discharge, unilateral, after C RFA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Timeoutofmind

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pt is S/p TON, C3, C4 RF on the left side.

She told me immediately in recovery. She noticed a little bit of clear nasal discharge on that side.

It got much worse at about three in the morning.

Has continued throughout the day.

Has filled up a couple of Kleenexes.

No fevers, chills, severe headaches, balance, problems, blood.

I reviewed images and needle placement very standard and straightforward.

For now, I told her just to keep an eye… I thought maybe increased neurogenic vasomotor rhinitis from alteration of the nerve signals we ablated? I really don’t have any other great explanation…

Any other thoughts?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought in order to have CSF rhinorrhea the defect has to be on the side facing the nasal passageway - how would your needle placement cause that?

Do the Kleenexes get stiff as they dry? Apparently CSF tissues don’t stiffen since it’s not mucousy.

I had a random persistent runny nose two weeks ago that I didn’t think much of, then did my regular blood work and had an elevated white count. I’m guessing I had COVID and didn’t realize it.
 
I talked to the ER Doctor who talked to another ER doc
They were basically just like no way man.

Given the anatomy it’s not CSF.

Didn’t refuse to see her or anything but just said it would be a wasted visit.

I asked her that thing about the tissues, getting stiff or not, but she was just too vague and couldn’t say either way…

So I told her to just keep me posted for now.
 
Last edited:
If memory of the old Frank Netter based Ciba symposia serves me correctly, you could test for glucose using a urine dipstick to r/o CSF.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad