Clerkship Advice and Feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureToeBro

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently a second year at AZCPM. With boards and applying for clerkships around the corner I was curious on if I can get feedback on clerkships from students that visited these sites? Also, how as a student did you narrow down where you wanted to go? Here are a few that I have researched that I may decide to apply for a clerkship. I know residency interviews are currently going on so feel free to wait till after the match to give your feedback.
Inova Fairfax
Advent Health East Orlando
Emory
Creighton
Scott and White
Wake Forest
University of Louisville
Yale-New Haven
Swedish Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I'm currently a second year at AZCPM. With boards and applying for clerkships around the corner I was curious on if I can get feedback on clerkships from students that visited these sites? Also, how as a student did you narrow down where you wanted to go? Here are a few that I have researched that I may decide to apply for a clerkship. I know residency interviews are currently going on so feel free to wait till after the match to give your feedback.
Inova Fairfax
Advent Health East Orlando
Emory
Creighton
Scott and White
Wake Forest
University of Louisville
Yale-New Haven
Swedish Medical Center
Use the search function. Don't make me ask you again.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You can go to whichever clerkships you can get accepted to. The "narrow down" part is just your preference (or obviously you can eliminate any that don't accept you or only offer you a month that simply doesn't work).

You have a decent list above with some very good but some very mediocre programs in terms of quality/competitive. It is usually good to do some that are very competitive so that you see how a good residency runs and learn good stuff, but remember that they may take 2-4 clerks per month for 6+ months (so roughly 20 clerks) and only have 2 or 3 match spots. You typically don't want to pick ALL competitive programs unless you are a very elite applicant (rank/gpa, networked, knowledge, confidence to apply knowledge in quick interview/quiz situations, social skill, etc). Keep in mind that even if you are a top gpa/clinical student at your school, there are many other schools.

Just try to play to your strengths. If you are mediocre rank/gpa but very good with common sense, very good socially, handsome, charismatic, etc... then definitely clerk at places a tad or even significantly "out of your league" and try to turn the tables by making the residents laugh, making the rounds fun, and working hard to know your stuff in the OR also. Conversely, if you are high rank/gpa and pretty good at quick trivia answers...but often frozen socially and wouldn't want to joke and have meals and etc with the residents, then you almost want to avoid the programs you want most (maybe just visit for a day) and just hope to ace the interview.

Playing to your strengths means different things for different ppl, but the most common strategy is usually do the clerkships where you might want to match and to visit other good ones in those cities for a day while you are able (obviously arrange a day director is there, doing clinic, etc). Like an extended job interview, this is both to show them a good impression of your work ethic and knowledge... but is also to see if you actually want them. Nearly everyone has at least one clerkship they find they don't enjoy despite high hopes... and one or more that exceeds expectations significantly. Personally, I clerked all 5 "name" programs all over the eastern USA (arranged them in driving loop order), visited another, and would have guessed I before my travels that I would have been happy to be a resident at any. Well, I almost immediately ruled out half of them... good for learning, but not for me personally... I gained respect for what they do, but did not even apply for interview at that half.

The big mistakes with planning and doing clerkships are usually the same year after year:
-taking all top programs that the clerk is unlikely to be competitive for in match (assuming 'I can get one' of the few resident match spots just because you got one of their many clerk slots). Leave this strategy to the top 10 ranked kids in the class... and even for them, it's a stressful set of months competing with other top students from other schools, little time to study for boards and residency interviews (although better programs usually have better academics). Again, everyone should try at least one or two "high-power" programs if they can get the clerkships, but it doesn't hurt to mix in or visit other programs that are also adequate and more medium or medium/high competitive. Doing nothing but highly competitive ones can end up frustrating.
-clerk all easy programs or pick just one area due to family/spouse/etc or fear of competition despite being a good student, passing boards, etc (not necessarily a disaster depending on one's personal goals/priorities, but really sells your training and future skills short)
-intentionally take multiple clerkships the student doesn't really want to be "warm up month," visit family, can stay with a friend that month, relax in Miami or SoCal, etc... then have their "main target" residency or two arranged last. This is done both by low rank students who don't really care, and it is also done occasionally by high rank ones who figure they can get basically any program they want. That plan seems fine enough if it works out that way, but if the "main target"(s) end up being much different than imagined (as mine did) or other students out-compete them for those (or they already favor earlier clerks who had a stellar month), then the student ends up in a bad spot with few options: taking one of the early month ones they'd chosen not based on program quality, finding a program just from rep/interview, or scramble. This is a bad strategy to pick more than one "vacation" clerk rotation month unless you go to one of the schools that has clerkships after residency interviews are done and over (and most programs won't take clerks those months since they know those are often treated as goof-off rotations).

As mentioned, good info on many programs if you search. Ultimately, the programs are dynamic and the group of residents can sometimes matter almost as much as the attendings/cases (if it is a minimal supervision "resident-run" program where residents make the surgery assignments, call sched, run academics, etc). You will do well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users