Clerkships and residency questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karawak07

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the Caspr/Crip website and a specific clerkship/residency states that a 3.0 GPA minimum is needed to consider clerkships or residency at their program, is it always worth while to consider a clerkship at that program provided I do have a 3.0 GPA and im interested in the program, or are there other things that almost always have to be considered?

More specifically for example, are there a lot of programs that state a minimum 3.0 GPA is needed to consider their program or be eligible for clerkships, but then only really end up accepting students for residency with a 3.5 GPA or above a certain class rank etc as an unspoken or unwritten rule?

I'm trying to determine if work ethic, good social skills amongst peers, adequate in field knowledge etc, is strong enough to to realistically have a chance at attending many of the residencies across the country (or at least enough to attend a clerkship at a lot of the places im interested in knowing I would actually be considered for a residency spot) when these place simply state on paper a minimum 3.0 GPA is needed for consideration and designate no class rank requirements etc.

I'm just trying to figure out what percentage of programs are "realistic" for me to express interest in and spend time on, and which ones are maybe not so realistic. I have above a 3.0...I'm not upper 50% in my class, but im also not in the bottom third. I have an extensive non traditional background with prior work experience etc, and tend to work well with others.

Faculty has pointed me in some form of moderate direction, but even their suggestions have proven to be a bit unreliable after looking into some of the programs they have suggested etc. Hopefully there are others in a similar situation that are interested in this type of question or who have experienced this position.

Any thoughts from 3rd or fourth year students that have experience with this dynamic or anyone that has knowledge going through this process would be greatly welcomed and appreciated!

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA/class rank gets you a clerkship. Work ethic, social skills, and knowledge, as you stated, get you the residency. A decent GPA (read > 3.0) will make you competitive for a clerkship at most programs. There is a small list of "top" programs that realistically favor the >3.5 crowd, but if a program gives you a clerkship consider that their way of telling you that you're good enough on paper. Getting the residency is then almost entirely dependent on how you perform on the clerkship.

DM me if you have questions/concerns about particular programs and I'm happy to give you my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
What ftdoc said.

There are some programs that won't even look at you unless you are 3.5+.

Most programs I applied to that listed an explicit 3.0 stayed true to their word.

Reactions: 1 user