Clerkship Applications Going Digital

Started by Sig Savant
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sig Savant

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was on the Clerkship Website today when I noticed that clerkships for class of 2014 will be done digitally. This will hopefully be a great improvement over the paper system and sitting up until midnight to email your applications.

I know a lot of people in my class complained about the system. This is the first I'm seeing of a digital application system. I'm curious to know more about how it works.
 
I know nothing of this process, so forgive my ignorance. From what you've both said, it sounds great, but I do see one potential drawback (again, I could be way wrong), and that would be that punctual students won't have a leg up. Like you said, a lot of people were waiting until midnight to send in apps. Now it seems everyone's will be sent in at once? So the eager students no longer have a slight advantage.

Also, if someone could comment on whether or not you are limited to the number of programs you apply to, I'd appreciate it. I know in a previous thread some schools (NYCPM?) limited the number of programs their students could apply to. Will this no longer matter now that it's a "mini match"?
 
I didn't want to say it since it would label me as a gunner but yes one major drawback of this system is that the more punctual students lose out with this process.

Having been through this process as both a student and now a resident, I can tell you that despite what you might be hearing otherwise, selections are typically not "real time" or "first come first serve." Typically applications are reviewed on a weekly rolling basis, and divided into filed according to a "yes, maybe, no" type system before final decisions are made. That being said, I'm glad the feedback from previous years applicants' has been heard and the process is evolving.

Best,
GSR