Clerkship Applications Going Digital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sig Savant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was on the Clerkship Website today when I noticed that clerkships for class of 2014 will be done digitally. This will hopefully be a great improvement over the paper system and sitting up until midnight to email your applications.

I know a lot of people in my class complained about the system. This is the first I'm seeing of a digital application system. I'm curious to know more about how it works.

Members don't see this ad.

I know nothing of this process, so forgive my ignorance. From what you've both said, it sounds great, but I do see one potential drawback (again, I could be way wrong), and that would be that punctual students won't have a leg up. Like you said, a lot of people were waiting until midnight to send in apps. Now it seems everyone's will be sent in at once? So the eager students no longer have a slight advantage.

Also, if someone could comment on whether or not you are limited to the number of programs you apply to, I'd appreciate it. I know in a previous thread some schools (NYCPM?) limited the number of programs their students could apply to. Will this no longer matter now that it's a "mini match"?

I didn't want to say it since it would label me as a gunner but yes one major drawback of this system is that the more punctual students lose out with this process.

Having been through this process as both a student and now a resident, I can tell you that despite what you might be hearing otherwise, selections are typically not "real time" or "first come first serve." Typically applications are reviewed on a weekly rolling basis, and divided into filed according to a "yes, maybe, no" type system before final decisions are made. That being said, I'm glad the feedback from previous years applicants' has been heard and the process is evolving.

Best,
GSR