Clerkship books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dave262

Hey y'all,

What are good books for my OBGYN rotation 3rd year? Any advice? I like to have one primary text book and 2 review books...at least, that worked for medicine. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

dave262 said:
Hey y'all,

What are good books for my OBGYN rotation 3rd year? Any advice? I like to have one primary text book and 2 review books...at least, that worked for medicine. Thanks in advance!
i'm out and about on interviews and so don't have access to my library to remember exact titles and authors, but i used a comprehensive textbook designed for clerkships. a last name of one of the authors is beckmann, and his name is how i've always heard the book identified. it covers everything you need to know, has objectives at the beginning of each chapter, a few short exam questions at the end of each chapter and a sort of mini board exam at the end of the book. i highly reccommend it.

deeq said:
i'm out and about on interviews and so don't have access to my library to remember exact titles and authors, but i used a comprehensive textbook designed for clerkships. a last name of one of the authors is beckmann, and his name is how i've always heard the book identified. it covers everything you need to know, has objectives at the beginning of each chapter, a few short exam questions at the end of each chapter and a sort of mini board exam at the end of the book. i highly reccommend it.

The book you are referring to is Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I have this book, but I doubt that I'll be using it much- there just isn't enough hours in the day :oops: I'm using Blueprints and a question source (either pretest or appleton and lange).

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally found Blueprints hard to read for OB/Gyn. I liked the Peds version much better. So I ended up picking up Beckmann Obstetrics & Gynecology. Surprisingly, it's an easier read than you think. It also has a lot of questions at the end of each chapter and in the back if you like doing questions.

I thought PreTest for OB/Gyn was rather useless on that regard.

Disclaimer: I bombed the OB/Gyn shelf (this was last year)...they pulled some experimental, newly written shelf exam on us. Got like a 74 or something, don't remember the exact score. It was really hard.

I am a fan of the new Case Files series. They have one in OB/GYN which is the first one they did I think. Anyway, they are well written cases (like what you see on the shelf) with a little teaching afterward about the relevent teaching points and then some practice questions. I have used them for Surgery, OB and Peds and have done very well on the shelfs (don't know about peds, took it today, but felt well prepared). At first I thought they wouldn't cover all the important points since they are cases, but in the write ups that come with each case they expand to include most of the differential and end up covering just about everything. The only potential problem is that they are in no particular order. I personally like that better since that's closer to reality anyway, and you can look up subjects in the back if you need to read up on something specific during the rotation.

I just can't read Blueprints, too boring. I also hated the Beckman book. It is very oddly organized and WAY too long to read during a busy OB/GYN rotation.

RB Beckmann is a brilliant man I met him at Albert Einstein anyone interviewing there. I personally think the book is a good read for step2 preparation although I am a fan of the First Aid for OB/Gyn. A book you can pick up an put down. Blueprints also makes Q&A series check out www.Amazon.com and type in Q&A and you'll get all the latest case based study books a great success for Step 2 and 3 I passed easily.
Good luck

For residents and those seriously pursuing Ob
The little red book emial me if you need the ISBN
[email protected]
:) D

I used Blueprints as my main review book, Hacker and Moore for my reference text, and Pretest for questions. I agree that Pretest was easier than the real test, though. I hear that Appleton and Lange has a good Ob Gyn question book.

I ended doing well on the shelf, so it must have worked! Good luck.

blueprints + pretest is adequate. the obgyn shelf is extremely easy, mainly because the scope of practice is so limited. don't waste your money on hacker/moore unless you're going into obgyn...or else you'll end up with a really expensive doorstop.

Ditto Case Files. It didn't hurt either that the editor/author (Toy) gave us a review a week before the exam.

the beckmann text does seem frighteningly long, but i'm a dork and i like to read. and my attending actually bought it for her students. i did start out with blueprints, but found it didn't hold my attention quite like i had hoped. again, i'm a dork and like more info. than that which will just get me by. can't hurt to give beckmann a try. it reads rather smoothly and quickly and the month just didn't make sense without it.

i started off using first aid for ob but i don't really like studying from lists and bullets. I had beckman and i was also reading that---i agree with the other person who posted that it is oddly organized. i used it as an outline for one of my presentations and my attending commented on how it was organized. It is also way toooo long to read during obgyn. I liked blueprints tons and i totally recommend it cause i felt really prepared for the test; not it was so hard but just fyi; pre test i didn't like. also platinum vignettes is awesome
for questions use appleton and lange

i did blueprints + case files (esp. the latter) - worked well for me...i got my best grade on the ob/gyn shelf exam. good luck!!!

I own case files also, and I must say that is a great book. I enjoy reading it (I rarely enjoy reading any books :sleep: ).