Clerkship elective for MD PhD in Molecular Medicine Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhypochondriac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm a MD-PhD (molecular medicine) student from the Philippines, planning to pursue either of the following fields - medical genetics, developmental pediatrics. In my school, we are given an option to have our elective abroad. I would just like to ask if you know of any reputable schools that offer clinical electives focusing on the two fields I have mentioned. I would like to maximize my opportunity to learn from the experience, hence, I am open to a clinical/research-focused elective.

Would love to hear your input. Thanks in advance, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. I'm a MD-PhD (molecular medicine) student from the Philippines, planning to pursue either of the following fields - medical genetics, developmental pediatrics. In my school, we are given an option to have our elective abroad. I would just like to ask if you know of any reputable schools that offer clinical electives focusing on the two fields I have mentioned.

Yes, absolutely. You can start here, but pretty much any medical school will offer an elective in those (medical genetics for certain--developmental peds I'm not so sure about but I'd think any peds hospital with a fellowship wold have a med student rotation too).

It may require a bit of legwork,on your part. Look into places you might want to rotate (if you want to come to the US for residency, these should be places you'd want to apply) and then contact the coordinators.

Thank you very much K31. I wasn't able to access the link you gave since I'm a non-US student, but it redirected me to the VSAS home page where I saw the elective compendium.

I searched medical schools by state. Found out that UCLA and UCSD both accept international students. Hoping this would work out for me since I have relatives in San Fernando Valley and in Palm Springs, who I can temporarily stay with during my elective months. Plus, from what I've read, these schools do not require a tuition fee. Both schools also seem to offer medical genetics courses as well as a variety of courses on pediatrics.

Thanks again for your help.:)