Clerkship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoneSEAL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a fourth year medical student today. We were talking about third-year clerkships. He made an interesting statement that I don't quite buy. He said that what distinguishes the honors students from their Joe Average classmates is in the presentations and not in the fund of knowledge. He said it's not what you know, it's how you come across in presentations that determines whether you honor or not.

I don't think this is quite right. I thought the honors students was characterized with extraordinary breadth of knowledge besides the usual requisites of being a good character, good team player, etc. Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi LoneSeal,

I would have to agree with the 4th year student to a certain degree. Yes, there is a minimum fund of knowledge necessary to impress residents and attendings enough to get an honors (not that this should be your goal, it should be to learn about patient care). However, having this knowledge will not get you an honors. A lot of your grade will depend on you behavior. You must be confident, but not cocky. Helpful, but not brown-nosing. Ask pertinent questions at the right time. Helping the whole team, including other medical students, definitely improves your chances of getting an honors (residents can generally tell when students only offer to help if it helps their grade). Knowing about your patients, and reading about their ailments prior to discussing them is key. Presentations do often make a difference as well.

I have rotated with people that I knew had the same knowledge as me and some that most likely knew more than me (I was just a little above average in my preclinicals). However, when they are timid and did not express their views and ideas and could not present well, it really hurt their causes.

Originally posted by WBC:

•••quote:••• However, when they are timid and did not express their views and ideas and could not present well, it really hurt their causes. ••••Well put and unfortunately, very true.