Clerkship Rotation Order

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorverardoll

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my rotation order for 3rd year and I got medicine as the last block. I'm bummed, because I'm interested in Med-Peds and don't want to be burned on having med last. Also, I don't think it'll be likely that I can switch, because 1/4 of the class is in the same boat and most want to switch.

Anyone ever in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I have it last as well... I think one of the big positives is being able to take step 2 CK with all that info fresh in your head. 3rd year isn't that long, you won't be burnt out, especially if you're doing something you like.

I have it last as well... I think one of the big positives is being able to take step 2 CK with all that info fresh in your head. 3rd year isn't that long, you won't be burnt out, especially if you're doing something you like.

Agreed. I had IM as my penultimate third-year rotation. Rather than feeling burned out, I actually was relieved like, "Finally, I'm actually doing something I enjoy."

The only reason people advise against scheduling your field of interest last is that you might not like it.

Otherwise, you should be a professional MS3 by that point and should get at least one money letter of rec.

I'm sure it will work out for you.