Cleveland Clinic Announces Medical School to go Tuition Free!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with you both. You can't force people to do research even after getting an MD/PhD if they don't want to. But I think CCLCM might have a pretty good track record anyway just because this program puts a lot more emphasis on clinical research than most MD/PhD programs do. There are plenty of people who might not want to do bench work but would be willing to do clinical research, especially if they go into surgical fields or other specialties that MD/PhDs don't traditionally enter. This is kind of the best of both worlds, if you want a career that is very clinical and you still want to do some research too.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it'll take a lot less time for that. Rumor has it that the CCF is in talks with Columbia University on a possible merger (it might happen in two or three years). Obviously, Columbia is a more prestigious medical school than Case and the CCF program is pretty new, so I bet Cosgrove and Fishleder wants their medical school to be associated with a more prestigious medical school. I think you'll find a divorce from Case and a marriage to Columbia a likely possibility in the future.

i don't see how merging with Columbia would help them, though. if they are going to split from Case, why not just strike out on their own? i understand that there are certain administrative headaches associated with running a medical school (which Case currently handles), but why on earth would they consider switching these administrative issues to a location 500 miles away? "prestige" seems like a pretty thin reason here; the NAME of the Cleveland Clinic has as much if not more international prestige in the arena of medicine.

i don't see how merging with Columbia would help them, though. if they are going to split from Case, why not just strike out on their own? i understand that there are certain administrative headaches associated with running a medical school (which Case currently handles), but why on earth would they consider switching these administrative issues to a location 500 miles away? "prestige" seems like a pretty thin reason here; the NAME of the Cleveland Clinic has as much if not more international prestige in the arena of medicine.

The clinic is not a degree granting institution, so therefore they cannot go out on their own. All of the grad students currently at the clinic are affiliated with surrounding universities. This is why they didn't do it in the first place. Supposedly it takes a long time to get accredited as a degree granting institution(even Mayo is part of UMinn). The second reason is supposedly the Lerner connection. Al Lerner is a Columbia Alum and the family is a big donor to Columbia as well as the Clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
The second reason is supposedly the Lerner connection. Al Lerner is a Columbia Alum and the family is a big donor to Columbia as well as the Clinic.

This makes sense; I figured there had to be something else at play.

Are you at CCLCM or Case?

The clinic is not a degree granting institution, so therefore they cannot go out on their own. All of the grad students currently at the clinic are affiliated with surrounding universities. This is why they didn't do it in the first place. Supposedly it takes a long time to get accredited as a degree granting institution(even Mayo is part of UMinn). The second reason is supposedly the Lerner connection. Al Lerner is a Columbia Alum and the family is a big donor to Columbia as well as the Clinic.
very interesting...this makes more sense now.

I think it's because people get burned out and they see their friends making money. While tuition is free and we do get a stipend, we're not exactly rolling around in money. [sigh!] :)

-X

No kidding. Having $300k in student loan debt might be a factor when finishing residency/fellowship and deciding whether to go for that $300k/year private practice job or that $150k/year academic job, but even if you are without debt, that $300k/year is going to be damn tempting.

This announcement is fantastic news. Congrats to all future and current CCLCM med students! :thumbup:

Kinda wish I applied there now, and praying that Case will follow the Cleveland Clinic's lead...

This is great news. Medical schools seem to change their policy as a herd, and so if CCLM is doing this now, I bet other schools are soon to follow.

Oh crap.... since you have to apply to Cleveland Clinic THRU Case, will Case get insane #s of applications also? -_-

I think it'll take a lot less time for that. Rumor has it that the CCF is in talks with Columbia University on a possible merger (it might happen in two or three years). Obviously, Columbia is a more prestigious medical school than Case and the CCF program is pretty new, so I bet Cosgrove and Fishleder wants their medical school to be associated with a more prestigious medical school. I think you'll find a divorce from Case and a marriage to Columbia a likely possibility in the future.
Just to note this, if this does happen, there will be MAJOR ramifications for the clinic as many in the Northeastern Ohio area are already upset with the Cosgrove's CEO ramblings including that article in the Plain Dealer that was quoted from cleveland.com where he started mentioning nitpicky items that were supposed to be water under the bridge from years ago.

CCF has many agreements in place for research as well as clinical medicine with dedication to the area. By taking the funds to a place not even in the state, CCF is going to have major feedback. Also, it would wreak havoc with the current system the medical students have in place. Why would you want to rotate in NYC and Cleveland? Cosgrove is just bitter about many things that have happened and many of the articles make him sound like a bitter 5 year old. Since the CCF has done little in the way of research dollars to give back to the Case community as of late (long story but its true), I can't be surprised if this agenda gets pushed. So sad that Case had so many problems that they have to pay for now. I've heard it from both sides of the fence. Since many ex-Clinic staff are now over at Case/UH Hospital System (and vice versa).

I hope they don't force the students to have to go to NYC as well as take the funds out of Cleveland. There are alot of bioenterprise opportunities in the NE OH area due to investment by medical schools and hospitals. It be ashame to see those funds flow to a school (and area) that doesn't really need it when Cleveland really could use it. CCF made a commitment to the area as the largest employer and what funds they do have in research are mostly at Case anyway. I think CCLCM is a prestigious enough name without having to link it to a "higher ranked" school. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh crap.... since you have to apply to Cleveland Clinic THRU Case, will Case get insane #s of applications also? -_-

Wouldn't shock me, unless they change it up somehow for the 2008-2009 cycle.

Wouldn't shock me, unless they change it up somehow for the 2008-2009 cycle.
As far as I know, you still apply for CCLCM through Case.

bozz said:
I think the apps for Case probably will probably increase also, because a lot of people who apply to CCLCM also apply to Case. But I wouldn't let that stop you from applying to either program (or both) if you're interested. Both programs care a lot about how well you fit and not just about your stats. Good luck!

Just to note this, if this does happen, there will be MAJOR ramifications for the clinic as many in the Northeastern Ohio area are already upset with the Cosgrove's CEO ramblings including that article in the Plain Dealer that was quoted from cleveland.com where he started mentioning nitpicky items that were supposed to be water under the bridge from years ago.

CCF has many agreements in place for research as well as clinical medicine with dedication to the area. By taking the funds to a place not even in the state, CCF is going to have major feedback. Also, it would wreak havoc with the current system the medical students have in place. Why would you want to rotate in NYC and Cleveland? Cosgrove is just bitter about many things that have happened and many of the articles make him sound like a bitter 5 year old. Since the CCF has done little in the way of research dollars to give back to the Case community as of late (long story but its true), I can't be surprised if this agenda gets pushed. So sad that Case had so many problems that they have to pay for now. I've heard it from both sides of the fence. Since many ex-Clinic staff are now over at Case/UH Hospital System (and vice versa).

I hope they don't force the students to have to go to NYC as well as take the funds out of Cleveland. There are alot of bioenterprise opportunities in the NE OH area due to investment by medical schools and hospitals. It be ashame to see those funds flow to a school (and area) that doesn't really need it when Cleveland really could use it. CCF made a commitment to the area as the largest employer and what funds they do have in research are mostly at Case anyway. I think CCLCM is a prestigious enough name without having to link it to a "higher ranked" school. ;)

i like this analysis. i don't understand most of it, but it soothes me :)

i like this analysis. i don't understand most of it, but it soothes me :)
:laugh: Well I didn't have a lot of time type and now I look back and can't understand half what I was saying either (i'll blame the drugs as I was typing after surgery!!). I could probably write a two page paper on the history as explained to me. So if you don't understand the history, probably half of what I said wouldn't make sense (about Case's previous disaster of the dean who put them millions into debt which they are still working their way out of, or the history of University Hospitals and Case, Case and CCF history, etc). Either way I'd hate to see the Clinic associate with a university outside of Ohio just to become a more "prestigious" institution. This issue with CCF/Case has been outstanding for a number of years with limited solutions.

Next time I will not type under the influence of vicodin. I promise. :)

i'm confused. why isn't this school in the MSAR? does it have another name?

i don't know...i asked my dad about it since i figured he'd know about the school at least since he did his post-med school stuff at ohio state. he didn't even know they had a med school and just said it was a private hospital.

so why isn't it in MSAR? or under what heading? thanks

and i looked it up under wikipedia...why is it a 5-year program? what makes it different than other schools? wikipedia says it's run by case western....?

i'm confused. why isn't this school in the MSAR? does it have another name?

i don't know...i asked my dad about it since i figured he'd know about the school at least since he did his post-med school stuff at ohio state. he didn't even know they had a med school and just said it was a private hospital.

so why isn't it in MSAR? or under what heading? thanks
It's in the MSAR under Case Western because we are part of Case. The main Case program is called the University Program (UP) and the Cleveland Clinic program is called the College Program or CCLCM. You apply to Case Western on AMCAS, and then on the secondary, you're given a choice to apply to the UP, CCLCM, or both.

and i looked it up under wikipedia...why is it a 5-year program? what makes it different than other schools? wikipedia says it's run by case western....?
Dude, if you want to come here, don't get used to relying on Wikipedia as your info source. :laugh: Here's the school website: http://www.clevelandclinic.org/cclcm/ Click on the academics button and it will tell you all about the program. But in a nutshell, the fifth year is for research. All of us either get an MS along with our MD or else get a five-year research MD.

I guess I should say a few things about the merger since I brought it up. I don't know for certain if the CCLCM will merge with Columbia University but there's been a lot of rumor going on with the faculty and it's been in the news for like a year. Right now, CCF's relationship with Case seems strained. The school and the hospital are located close by and Case has a pretty good reputation in terms of biomedical research. However, I heard from several former faculty members that Case is having some problems with recruiting new faculty and that they're having trouble retaining experience faculty members (part of it has to do with Case's location in Northeast Ohio, no one seems to want to move or stay in Cleveland). A lot of faculty at Case have left to move to the East coast to take up positions with Massachusetts General, Johns Hopkins, NYPH, and the likes. By staying in Cleveland, the CCF risks a mass exodus of its professional staff.

As for the CCF's reputation, I don't doubt for a second that Cosgrove would hesitate to put everyone through the hassle of a merger with Columbia if it means bumping up the CCLCM's reputation and brand name. Remember that the CCF was one of top ten hospitals in the nation before Dr. Loop retired. After Cosgrove took over, he made it his mission to boost the CCF's ranking and right now, the CCF is in the top three hospitals. In terms of name recognition, the CCLCM is not that well known outside of the research field, but by merging with Columbia, the CCLCM can claim to be a part of the Columbia University medical school, thereby putting themselves in the same category as some of country's top Ivy League medical schools.

'grats. so are you going to put your tuition rebate towards your loans, or blow it on flat screen TVs and coke?

You won't ever have any problems getting a new flat screen TV if you go to Lerner :) The skyway around the building is literally covered with hundreds of flat panel LCD TV's.

You won't ever have any problems getting a new flat screen TV if you go to Lerner :) The skyway around the building is literally covered with hundreds of flat panel LCD TV's.
I can vouch that there is certainly no shortage of flat screen LCDs in the Intercontinental skyway. But unfortunately, we don't get to take them home. :laugh:

I can vouch that there is certainly no shortage of flat screen LCDs in the Intercontinental skyway. But unfortunately, we don't get to take them home. :laugh:

You know, now that I think about it, that may have been why they rejected me :D I didn't think anyone would notice if I took home a souvenir.

yeah, i noticed that at second look. it's okay, i'm waiting for these to make it up to big-screen sizes :)

Right now, CCF's relationship with Case seems strained. The school and the hospital are located close by and Case has a pretty good reputation in terms of biomedical research. However, I heard from several former faculty members that Case is having some problems with recruiting new faculty and that they're having trouble retaining experience faculty members (part of it has to do with Case's location in Northeast Ohio, no one seems to want to move or stay in Cleveland). A lot of faculty at Case have left to move to the East coast to take up positions with Massachusetts General, Johns Hopkins, NYPH, and the likes. By staying in Cleveland, the CCF risks a mass exodus of its professional staff.
Case has always had a strained relationship. If you know the history between Case and UH then you know why Case and CCF came to terms. Case has had major issues in the past few years and are finally making headway. Whether its stays positive, who knows.

As for reputation, that is something that the Clinic will have to consider if people lose faith in the organization that has centered in Northeastern Ohio excellence and service, the board will have major issues with investments from locals in CCF if they decide to take their monies elsewhere. That was the only reason why I mentioned it. People know there is more to prestige than association by name. For the name, relation to Columbia is ok but I think the Clinic can stand on its own for prestige as long as it keeps increasing its research dollars (which current it depends on Case for in some regards - which is why they are looking to get out). The schools is brand new and the heavy marketing push will play out in the schools favor I think. I'd rather see the school go out on its own rather than pairing up with Columbia just for namesake. JMHO. We'll see how it plays out. There have been many rumors the past few years in Cleveland as the dynamics of University Hospitals and Cleveland Clinic are changing.

Case has always had a strained relationship. If you know the history between Case and UH then you know why Case and CCF came to terms. Case has had major issues in the past few years and are finally making headway. Whether its stays positive, who knows.

As for reputation, that is something that the Clinic will have to consider if people lose faith in the organization that has centered in Northeastern Ohio excellence and service, the board will have major issues with investments from locals in CCF if they decide to take their monies elsewhere. That was the only reason why I mentioned it. People know there is more to prestige than association by name. For the name, relation to Columbia is ok but I think the Clinic can stand on its own for prestige as long as it keeps increasing its research dollars (which current it depends on Case for in some regards - which is why they are looking to get out). The schools is brand new and the heavy marketing push will play out in the schools favor I think. I'd rather see the school go out on its own rather than pairing up with Columbia just for namesake. JMHO. We'll see how it plays out. There have been many rumors the past few years in Cleveland as the dynamics of University Hospitals and Cleveland Clinic are changing.

Glad to see someone else feels Case had some issues over the past few years. Sadly, while I was there, I always got the impression that the administration was overly focused on bumping up Case's name recognition, and that definitely backfired (at least in terms of local relationships). Don't get me wrong, I loved it there, I just wish things had been managed a little better.

And I agree that I'd rather see them go out on their own. I remember hearing that this was the original goal anyway when they started the CCLCM program, and that they had partnered with Case so they could start the program while working through the long accreditation process. That may have been pure gossip, though, so don't quote me on that.

It's awesome that they've gone tuition-free though. Congrats to everyone starting/continuing there this year!

If Mount Sinai could do it, so can the Cleveland Clinic.

Here is another article on the Columbia/Cleveland Clinic merger: http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1210667526308880.xml&coll=2

This is great news for both institutions! Columbia will boast affiliations with NYP and Cleveland Clinic. This also means that Columbia will add about $90 millon to its NIH grants. Cleveland Clinic will of course get the benefit of being associated with a top 10, ivy league institution. Seems like a win-win situation. I heard that this will go through within 1-2 years (maybe less).

don't MSSM degrees still say MSSM of NYU or just mt. Sinai now? Sinai use to be part of CUNY.

Thats what I thought, I believe MSSM is still associated with NYU.

No it's not. And Mayo is not part of University of Minnesota either. Where are you getting this information?

Ok, I looked it up. Mayo clinic medical education was a joint venture between Mayo Clinic and the U of Minn from the programs inception(1915 for clinical education, 1972 for the MD program) up until 1983 when the Mayo foundation was accredited to grant the graduate degrees(I'm a few years behind I guess).

Source: http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/inside.asp?AID=3208&UID=

MSSM:

Mount Sinai School of Medicine is a medical school found in the borough of Manhattan in New York City. The official name is Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University due to its academic affiliation with New York University (NYU). However, Mount Sinai School of Medicine (MSSM) is independent of NYU; that is, MSSM has its own facilities, board of trustees, administration, student body, faculty, admissions offices, tuition fees, and endowment. MSSM also raises its own funds.

After an extensive search and analysis and after some setbacks, on January 1, 1998, NYU's hospital facilities were initially spun off as a separate, non-profit organization, and subsequently were joined with Mount Sinai Hospital to form Mount Sinai-NYU Health, an umbrella organization that joined the two hospitals. Throughout this process, the New York University School of Medicine continued to be a part of NYU; in 1999, with the approval of the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York, MSSM, itself a separate non-profit organization, changed its academic affiliation from CUNY to NYU. However, the merger between NYU Medical Center and Mount Sinai Medical Center and their facilities has since been dissolved, though MSSM's academic affiliation with NYU remains.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Sinai_School_of_Medicine

What is the relationship between Mount Sinai and New York University?

Mount Sinai School of Medicine and New York University School of Medicine are completely independent entities, each having its own Dean and Board of Trustees. In July 1999, Mount Sinai School of Medicine changed its academic affiliation to New York University and, hence, its diplomas read Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University. However, all curricular development and student rotations are unique to each institution. The students of each school have always been able to, and will continue to be able to, schedule electives at the other school, just as they can schedule away electives at any LCME accredited school.

Source: http://www.mountsinai.org/Education...d Programs/MD Program/About Us/MD Program FAQ

No it's not. And Mayo is not part of University of Minnesota either. Where are you getting this information?
you seem very defensive. I was told this when I interviewed when I was applying. Granted it was three years ago. Do you go to Sinai?

Glad to see someone else feels Case had some issues over the past few years. Sadly, while I was there, I always got the impression that the administration was overly focused on bumping up Case's name recognition, and that definitely backfired (at least in terms of local relationships). Don't get me wrong, I loved it there, I just wish things had been managed a little better.

let's hope with the new president of the university and the new dean of the medical school, things will get better!

scarletgirl777 said:

Mayo has many connections to the University of Minnesota, although they are not "part" of that university. For example, Mayo does not have its own MPH program (their students do that through UM) and they are involved in various other partnerships such as this:

To position Minnesota in the forefront of biomedical research, the University of Minnesota, the Mayo Clinic, and the state of Minnesota created the Minnesota Partnership for Biotechnology and Medical Genomics. This new collaboration brings together Minnesota's two renowned research institutions, which collectively manage major research projects amounting to $700 million in funding, a figure that has been substantially rising during the last few years. The partnership, announced in April 2003, represents a commitment from both institutions to unite on biotechnology and medical genomics research projects, leveraging their scientific and research strengths. The second part of the venture was securing the involvement of the state of Minnesota. The partnership initially will aim for advances in biotechnology and medical genomics that have the potential to create breakthroughs in scientific understanding and patient treatments for cancer, heart disease, and neurological diseases. Over the long term the partnership is expected to contribute to Minnesota's economy by stimulating new businesses, creating quality jobs, and expanding the tax base.

So I just got back from backpacking in Europe and I was catching up on local news I missed the last two weeks and I came across this story. Congrats to the c/o 2013 and all other CCLCM students.

I'm not going to lie though...this really really bums me out.

I picked Case over CCLCM primarily for financial reasons. If I would have known this by April 15th, life would have been a little less complicated.

I'm going to go sit in a corner and cry now. :(

So I just got back from backpacking in Europe and I was catching up on local news I missed the last two weeks and I came across this story. Congrats to the c/o 2013 and all other CCLCM students.

I picked Case over CCLCM primarily for financial reasons. If I would have known this by April 15th, life would have been a little less complicated.

Interesting that you turned down CCLCM for financial reasons. Considering that the tuition is the same at both programs and the Clinic has a TON more money for financial aid, and that almost everyone got some money prior to this anouncement. It is just surprising to me that Case would have been cheaper to attend.

Anyway, this is great for the Clinic, CCLCM students, and medical education in general. I hope that people continue to be interested in CCLCM for the right reasons, not just for financial purposes.

Interesting that you turned down CCLCM for financial reasons. Considering that the tuition is the same at both programs and the Clinic has a TON more money for financial aid, and that almost everyone got some money prior to this anouncement. It is just surprising to me that Case would have been cheaper to attend.

Anyway, this is great for the Clinic, CCLCM students, and medical education in general. I hope that people continue to be interested in CCLCM for the right reasons, not just for financial purposes.

I guess that's the general thought. Yes, I did get some money from CCLCM, but not hardly much at all (4k/yr). Really, the two schools would have been about the same for me, cost wise (full tuition in essence). It really came down to a matter of 4 vs 5 years, and I felt as if the financial incentive wasn't there for me to go ahead and commit to a fifth year now (yes you do get paid a nice 20somthing k stipend for that fifth year, but I'm thinking long term opportunity cost). I do understand that there are other advantages for the fifth year which are not money related, but the reality is money is a big deal and I could not justify spending an extra year in medical school doing research if I would have paid nearly the same amount to get the same degree in 4 years (note-I already have a master's degree). You can always take time to do research-that was my line of reasoning.

I also felt a little more at home at Case (gut feel thing), but it wasn't as if PBL was not for me. In fact, the two programs aren't too different from each other.

Now, if I would have known that I would be paying 0k in tuition, then my decision would have been different. Argh, I am extremely frustrated right now because instead of paying 0k intuition I will be paying 160k. I know in the long run, this probably isn't that big of a deal, but it kind of stings right now.

Sorry for my personal rambling.

Seriously though...this is a great decision by CCLCM, and I really do mean that!

^ i sympathize, your frustration must be intense. i met several people at Second Look who were trying to decide between Lerner and the UP... not sure what any of them chose. gotta be a tough pill to swallow now, though.

Sorry, psychotropic. :( But don't be too hard on yourself, because you made the best decision you could based on the info you had at the time. Plus, if money were no object, it sounds like the UP is a better fit for you than CCLCM based on what you said. That has to be worth something in your calculation, too.

Sorry, psychotropic. :( But don't be too hard on yourself, because you made the best decision you could based on the info you had at the time. Plus, if money were no object, it sounds like the UP is a better fit for you than CCLCM based on what you said. That has to be worth something in your calculation, too.

Seriously. I hear all the Lerner kids are douchetards, anyway... :rolleyes:

Seriously. I hear all the Lerner kids are douchetards, anyway... :rolleyes:
Nu2004, I am so going to come over there and stuff you into your locker once they give you one in July. :p

(assuming that I don't get lost in the Case med school building, which I do every time I go over there :eek: )

Nu2004, I am so going to come over there and stuff you into your locker once they give you one in July. :p

haha, yeah over at the "run-down high school" they call a lecture facility.

i'll be in T wing - see if you can find me, sucker :smuggrin:

haha, yeah over at the "run-down high school" they call a lecture facility.
:laugh: It only looks that much like a high school at Case because there are so many of you. We have lockers at the Clinic too, just not whole hallways full of them! Your student lounge is totally nicer than ours is though. At least I thought it was pretty nice the one time I actually found it. :D

you seem very defensive. I was told this when I interviewed when I was applying. Granted it was three years ago. Do you go to Sinai?

lol, I am not affiliated with either school, I simply went to the LCME website because I was so confused and saw that they were recognized as separate med schools. I literally did not know where he was getting from, and at least as far as Mayo he was wrong, maybe he's like an attending or something who has 20 year old information.

Anyone know if the free tuition covers things like health insurance, transportation, etc.? Thanks

true, but the goal of CCLCM is not to create primary care physicians are where the shortage is.
Yeah, but we need specialists and physician scientists just as much as we do the grunt soldiers of medicine. Besides, there will always be the bottom 10-20% of graduating classes to fill slots in FP.

Anyone know if the free tuition covers things like health insurance, transportation, etc.? Thanks
No, free tuition means just what it says, free tuition. Are there actually any schools anywhere that pay for those things? It's not like this is some kind of cushy job with all the perks!

Yeah, but we need specialists and physician scientists just as much as we do the grunt soldiers of medicine. Besides, there will always be the bottom 10-20% of graduating classes to fill slots in FP.
Ouch. You better not talk like that at your interviews, Dienekes, especially if the doc is a FP. :laugh: